Pre-Trip Blog and Review: Carnival Dream 2/15/14 – Western Caribbean

UTVolsFan4Life

We're doing the Victor Bodden tour as well. I requested Tex (after reading some reviews), and he was available. My 8-year-old son REALLY wants to see the monkeys. I also want to take them (8-year-old and 10-year-old) to the iguana farm. Not really sure what else we're going to do yet.

Edited by FloridaMomma

Excited for your review! Also GBO!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Also I leave on the 27th for my first cruise and you have reminded me of all I still have to do!

Thank you so much! I am so glad that I can help. This time last year we were on our first cruise. Now, this will be our third one. It's so exciting, prepare to be hooked. If you don't mind me asking, what ship are you taking and where are you headed?

GBO!

We're doing the Victor Bodden tour as well. I requested Tex (after reading some reviews), and he was available. My 8-year-old son REALLY wants to see the monkeys. I also want to take them (8-year-old and 10-year-old) to the iguana farm. Not really sure what else we're going to do yet.

I have read some excellent reviews on Tex. I don't know why I did not think of requesting him. I wonder if I could e-mail them and see if it's possible to see if he is available.

Cynthia wants to see the monkeys so I am sure we are going to Monkey Business, but other than that, I am going to leave it up to our driver to show us the sights and culture.

You really booked a price is right cruise. I usually think I do pretty well but you definitely out did me on the price of this cruise. We are sailing on the dream too, 2/15/2014. Can't wait!!! Looking forward to just relaxing and not worrying about anything.

Just you let you know. The last time we were in Belize we just walked out of port found ourselves a taxi and he took us to the Mayan ruins, same ones you are going to...if I remember correctly he only charged us $50 for all 4 of us. Also, when you are there these adorable children will run up to you and you kids offering you to hold a turanchula and alligators. As soon as you touch it they expect to be paid.

I look forward to your review and comparing our experience.

We did zip lining through Victor Bodden and afterward told our guide to just give us a general tour. We stopped for lunch, shopping, pharmacy, etc.

We are scared of heights and I am sure that I am over the weight limit for the zip lining. I might face my fear on day when I get some of this extra weight off.

You really booked a price is right cruise. I usually think I do pretty well but you definitely out did me on the price of this cruise. We are sailing on the dream too, 2/15/2014. Can't wait!!! Looking forward to just relaxing and not worrying about anything.

Just you let you know. The last time we were in Belize we just walked out of port found ourselves a taxi and he took us to the Mayan ruins, same ones you are going to...if I remember correctly he only charged us $50 for all 4 of us. Also, when you are there these adorable children will run up to you and you kids offering you to hold a turanchula and alligators. As soon as you touch it they expect to be paid.

I look forward to your review and comparing our experience.

I thought my mouth was going to hit the floor when I read the letter. It's the only reason we are cruising this year. I know at least one person on our roll call received a letter for a free cruise. All they had to do is pay taxes and port costs. We are super excited to get on the ship.

Thanks for the tip! I love children but I cannot stand alligators. I won't be touching anything and I will warn Cynthia ahead of time so she knows to stay clear. :D

It's amazing how a cruise can be many different experiences for different people. What I might experience will be completely different then what Cynthia experiences and what you experience. I would love to see how your experience compares to ours.

Fascination to freeport and nassau

Our first cruise was on the Ecstasy which is the sister ship to the Fascination. We have been to Freeport once and Nassau twice.

Freeport: It was raining and we had been going non-stop for 4 days so we just walked around the port.

Nassau: Our first visit was to Atlantis. We loved it but it's expensive. The second time around we just did some shopping in the area around the port.

I love giving advice to new cruisers so, without hijacking my own thread I will give you some good advice:

• Be sure you tip those folks that you give your bags to...if you want them quickly and in one piece.

• Don't plan on carrying that much as you will have to drag it around with you until rooms are ready, about 1-1:30, unless you purchased Faster to the Fun.

• There is going to be so much to do and see. Don't try to do it all or you will feel like you ran through your entire vacation. Check the Fun Times each night for the next day and plan for the things that you really want to do

• Make sure you keep up with the time. You don't want to be late. They will leave you stranded and if you don't have a passport on you, then your going to be stuck for a few days at your expense. You Tube: Pier Runners

• Don't sweat the small stuff and be flexible, your on vacation.

• The first day on the ship always seems to be the most crowded. The pool areas will be filled on the sea day so the best time to use the pools are days when the ship is in port.

• Dinner in the Main Dinning Room on formal night is always slower

• International coverage and data is expensive. We turn on airplane mode and turn off data connections or anything that would cause the phone to wake up and then we completely turn the phone off.

• Internet on board is slower than dial up and very expensive.

Thanks FloridaMommy for giving me such a great idea. I sent and E-mail to Victor Bodden Tours and in what seemed like 5 minutes I received an response back from Victor that TEX was available and assigned as our tour guide. Score!

Also, this afternoon I received a call that I had been waiting on...the insect repellent that I custom ordered had been received and was ready for pickup. I stopped by the store on Saturday and I was a little concerned that it was not make it in time. All is well now and I will go by and pick it up tomorrow.

I forgot to add this yesterday, but I have attached my Cruise Document that helps me get organized for a trip. Sorry ladies, I don't have anything on here specific for you since Cynthia does her own packing.

I finished my other house project this afternoon so I am ready to get to packing. Cynthia should be getting home soon so, we can get some dinner and then get on the packing.

Cruise Information - 02152014.xls

The Iguana Farm was one of my kids' favorites. The boys loved feeding them. Aside from that, Victor's guide gave us an island tour (some really nice scenic overlooks and beaches), recommended lunch at Blue Bahia (resort on Sandy Bay operated by a US expat couple), and a visit to Victor's property. It was a great day. Your kids might enjoy seeing the shipwrecks - they're just a couple of rusting-away wrecks that went aground in a storm, but kids seem to like them. We'll be back in Roatan in August and I'm looking at what we want to do this time.

OP, enjoying your pre-cruise experience!

The Iguana Farm was one of my kids' favorites. The boys loved feeding them. Aside from that, Victor's guide gave us an island tour (some really nice scenic overlooks and beaches), recommended lunch at Blue Bahia (resort on Sandy Bay operated by a US expat couple), and a visit to Victor's property. It was a great day. Your kids might enjoy seeing the shipwrecks - they're just a couple of rusting-away wrecks that went aground in a storm, but kids seem to like them. We'll be back in Roatan in August and I'm looking at what we want to do this time.

OP, enjoying your pre-cruise experience!

Thank you so much. I keep hearing about this Iguana Farm. Can someone please give me some information on it? How much does it cost? I will take a look at Blue Bahia to see what they have for lunch.

Thank you so much. I keep hearing about this Iguana Farm. Can someone please give me some information on it? How much does it cost? I will take a look at Blue Bahia to see what they have for lunch.

Here's the website for the Iguana Farm: http://www.archsiguanaandmarinepark.com/index.html. According to Victor's website, there's an additional $8 per person charge for admission.

Good morning everybody. Wow...I am so glad that Cruise Critic is back up in running.

Yesterday evening was full of errands. I started by going to get the insect repellent that I ordered then I got my ears lowered (hair cut). After that I picked Cynthia up for our nail appointment. I did not realize that so many people get their nails did on Wednesday evening. :eek: We did not get home until close to 9 PM. So, it was a light and quick dinner for us before we headed off to bed.

This morning I woke up at 4 AM to use the restroom and I just could not fall back asleep. I laid in the bed until a little after 5 AM when my Mom started yelling that it was snowing outside. Cynthia and I quickly jumped up, but on some warm clothing and headed outside for a bit. The snow did not last but maybe another 30 minutes. I used some of my time wisely this morning and double-checked all my printouts for my binder as well as I started my Carnival craft project....I mean luggage tags. My personal personal preference is to fold them then seal them with clear shipping tape. For the check luggage, I like to staple one on each handle. I am a little nervous about them ripping off. In addition, I like to print and place one of them in each carry on bag. This is just in case a bag goes missing then there is a way to know where it belongs.

Cynthia is trying to get some of her packing completed and is now second guessing some of her formal night choices so, she has been trying on different stuff and asking for my opinion. I thought we did this a few days ago but, I guess we are going for round two. :D

Our agenda today is busy, busy, busy. Since we did not get finished packing last night we need to get that completed and I still have a few important errands to run. It's going to be a full day of work as I have three meetings and some last minute requests on top of completing the projects that I already have started. At least, maybe the time will fly by and I hope to get off work on time. :D

Well...I need to run so that I can get the important errands taken care of so that I can get back and start working.

It's hard to believe that we are leaving for Port Canaveral in the morning.

Thanks FloridaMommy for giving me such a great idea. I sent and E-mail to Victor Bodden Tours and in what seemed like 5 minutes I received an response back from Victor that TEX was available and assigned as our tour guide. Score!

Oh, good! I'll be looking forward to hearing how it goes!

They would definitely enjoy seeing them. Thanks for the info!

I like your pre cruise blog style, and may use a bit of that in my Dream review. You are so lucky to be leaving in 2 days! I have 50 days to go!!! Have a great trip, take lots of pics! Can't wait to hear from you when you get back.:D

Edited by becky11111
spelling

I like your pre cruise blog style, and may use a bit of that in my Dream review. You are so lucky to be leaving in 2 days! I have 50 days to go!!! Have a great trip, take lots of pics! Can't wait to hear from you when you get back.:D

Thank you so much. 50 Days will fly by before you know it.

I am getting the camera ready, I am taking rechargeable batteries, a 32 GB and a 8 GB memory card so batteries or space should not be an issue. :D If I don't get a lot of pictures, it's gonna be operator error. :eek: LOL

Being here in Atlanta I wish you safe travels tomorrow.

Kathy

Thank you, it's shaping up to be a nice day tomorrow. We are going to leave as early as possible, set the speed control and if people want to come around me then they can be my guest. :D

When we went down to Tampa a few weeks ago, there was a heavy police cover and I expect no less this time going down.

Looking forward to the rest of your review, we are on the Dream in June out of NO. Hope to see lots of pictures of the cruise ship.. Have a great cruise and a safe trip to Florida.. I know you and your wife are looking forward to getting away.;)