San Diego in December???

jfhtn

We are planning a December 10 day on Celebrity Mercury to Mexican Riviera and wanted to see San Diego first. Will it be too cold for sightseeing?:confused:

What about the Mercury? I have read mixed reviews on the condition. Anybody recently sailed?

Jayne

97- Nordic Empress

99 Monarch of Seas

00 Majesty of Seas

01 Sun Princess

03 Century

04 Grand Princess

05 Sovereign of Seas

We are planning a December 10 day on Celebrity Mercury to Mexican Riviera and wanted to see San Diego first. Will it be too cold for sightseeing?:confused:

Probably just fine. It's typically in the mid-60's for a daytime high.

We spent a few days there at the start of our trans-Canal cruise. While everyone will tell you about the San Diego zoo, consider the Wild Animal Park instead -- they've done an outstanding job with it.

It poured in Southern California this past December. A couple of days after Christmas it rained so hard that the San Diego Sheraton - where we were staying - lost electrical power and consequently their boilers. Cold showers in the dark was not my idea of fun but they made it up to us.

It can be lovely, it can be awful. And now that hurricane season begins in June, who knows?

San Diego usually has mild temps all year around...rains were unusally hard this past year, but you never know...plan on days in the 60's or 70's, and as usual when traveling, bring a jacket in case things change.

We did this cruise the day after Thanksgiving last year & unfortunately we hit cold & rainy weather in SD. We almost froze on the first day & half of the second days both leaving & returning from SD. We were so cold, we could not even use the balcony. It is VERY changeable weather there, just be prepared!

As for Mercury, she was wonderful, I think we had the best service on that ship than any of the Celebrity ships we have previously sailed! Her condition was excellent, I would not hesitate to sail her again, just never out of SD again for us! :(

We cruised very beginning of Jan., and it was mid 60's day we arrived and POURED the day we sailed. We stayed at Holiday Inn on the Bay, which is directly across the st from the port and were seriously considering taking a taxi, as that is how hard it was raining. We did get a brief reprieve and darted across. Mercury was in good shape......our 2nd sailing on her.....we love her! Forgot to add, when we got back, we were dressed in "layers" as we were heading back East and it was sunny and very warm in SD

I must defend the place where I live ! Last Winter we had the 2nd highest rainfall since it was tracked - over 120 years ago.Our normal rainfall is less that 10 inches and just about all of it comes between December and mid-March.If it rains it usually clears after a very few hours.The temperatures during December will be in the 60's near the water,but in the 70's ten miles inland (near the Wild Animal Park,which is near where I live) to the 80's and 90's as you near the desert in Borrego Springs,a 2 hour drive from downtown.

Come,spend time and money.We need it! Tourism is a big industry here.The cruise terminal in absolutely the best located,and easiest to navigate (no pun intended).Go see the Midway,which is in walking distance from thecruise terminal.See Seaport Village.Go to both the Zoo and Wild Animal Park.Spend time in the museums of Balboa Park.Go to the Gliderport in La Jolla.Just don't get so enthralled that you miss the cruise !

As a San Diegan, I can tell you that last year's weather was a real anomaly. I can't ever remember rain like we have last winter.

When you come in December you should fine temps in the high 50's-60's. Mostly sunny, but we do get some cloudy days and rain from-time-to-time. You'll find flowers blooming everywhere.

We have a wonderful city. Come visit our famous zoo, Wild Animal Park, our Gaslamp Quarter, Sea World, Coronado and a variety of historic sailing vessels.

Hope you enjoy our beautiful city.:D

Our taxi driver to the a/p told us it was most rain in years!!!! We love SD and loved the pointsettia's that were blooming all over. Weather in this world is "crazy" right now!!!!! Hurricanes starting so early......etc. Hopefully it will be a better winter in SD.

It depends on where you are coming from. A person coming from a warm southern city would certainly have a different opinion than someone coming from the north in the winter time. We arrived in San Diego in February and, although it wasn't balmy, we thought the temperatures were wonderful because it was below freezing where we came from.

Last winter, So Cal had more rain than I can ever remember! There were a few days I didn't even go outside and that is unheard of. Most of the time, December and January are quite pleasant. You just never know till you get there!

Well, being a San Diego native I'm slightly prejudiced towards our weather. :rolleyes:

Chances are you'll have mild conditions with a slight marine layer (Hazy overcast near the coast) and positively no chance of rain! I make that bold statement primarily because my wife & I are also booked on the December Mexican Riviera cruise for our 1st cruise together and the weather Gods wouldn't dare!! :p ;) :cool:

Seriously, you have an equal chance of either hot "santa-ana" conditions or lousy cold rainy weather. :eek:

Archived