New Shows on Marina!

gui888

I talked, on our last cruise, to some of the cast members. Seems the Marina changes casts about every 3-4 months. So if you're doing BtB, you're probably seeing the same shows, if you're breaking it up, you get new ones.

I find the shows typically cute at best , but they're not what I take the cruises for.

An interesting note. I am often amazed at the number of cruisers that never/rarely ever get off the ship. If they get off, it's for an hour or so, at a given port, and back on the ship. To them, it's like an all inclusive resort and they come to relax and enjoy whatever the ship offers. I believe those cruisers often place more importance and notice to the shows than many of the rest of us. We all pay the price,each to his own!

[quote

An interesting note. I am often amazed at the number of cruisers that never/rarely ever get off the ship. If they get off, it's for an hour or so, at a given port, and back on the ship. To them, it's like an all inclusive resort and they come to relax and enjoy whatever the ship offers. I believe those cruisers often place more importance and notice to the shows than many of the rest of us. We all pay the price,each to his own!

I do not know where you have cruised on O, but this is true ONLY in the Caribbean. Folks don't leave the ship because 1) the ports are not terribly interesting or 2) they have cruised the Caribbean a million times and have been to the ports before or 3) they are taking a Caribbean cruise to escape the cold weather and they care more about enjoying the sun and warm weather than seeing the ports. On cruises to exotic and faraway places (which is what we do mostly), the ports are the draw and everyone (almost) leaves the ship. No one wants to stay on the ship in Amalfi, Dubai, Istanbul, Iceland, Rio - etc.

Laraine;

It is also true on the Baltic and various Med cruises. Maybe they have already seen the ports or whatever. Just saying I was surprised that there were cruisers that never got off the boat, and maybe even sobered up the entire time, in places like St. Petersburg , Helsinki, Athens, or Euphesus. It's not just the Caribe!

That has not been my experience. Sometimes folks stay on board if it's a port they have visited before but I have never been on a o cruise other than Caribbean where folks stay on the ship in port for the whole cruise

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Personally, I don't understand all the fuss over Broadway shows on a ship. Does anyone book a cruise to see a third rate production of Legally Blonde, free or not?

I can't imagine anyone booking a cruise to in order to see a third rate production. They might book cruise hoping for more

In my opinion, the Jean Ann Ryan productions are superior to the Gary Music productions that have been on Marina up to now, as well as on the "R" ships. I would be pleased to learn that the J.A.R. contracts have also been extended to Regatta, Nautica and Insignia, although it's somewhat more difficult to offer similar production shows on the smaller ships. The theater is smaller, the ceiling is much lower, and the stage is very much smaller, so the cast is smaller from necessity.

The J.A.R. casts also perform on Regent's ships, with several excellent reports recently on that forum.

I still prefer the cabaret-style performances of the individual singers, instrumentalists, magicians and comedians hired by Oceania (I've rarely missed a show), but the Jean Ann Ryan casts are the best production shows I've seen on any cruise line.

We'll be on Marina in May; this announcement is great news.

I'm with you Don. We prefer cabaret style shows to the staged production. We have enjoyed some very talented people on the Entertainment Crew and their individual shows, when occasionally presented, are oftem preferred over the 'production' shows.

As per others posts

I do not expect Broadway class shows, even off-Broadway, and do not went to pay the cost of putting on several such production over such a small pax base. Smaller ships than the R ships have more limited selections on their menus despite being luxury lines simply because of the number of pax. So it goes with 'production' shows.

We mostly spend our evenings with a lingering dinner and might drop in to catch the end of a show. I do expect the cruise line to provide good entertainment but do not anticipate full scale productions or such

Edited by YoHoHo