Aft cabins. On solstice

Lotsacruising

• 2 weeks later...

Note that Solstice is a special case in that she has Aqua Class cabins on the stern. I believe the cabins are in the 1672-1678 range. Many of the deck plans don't show these as AQ but they really are - we have had 1676 twice and it really is AQ, shower and all. If you like aft and also like Aqua, the Solstice is the only ship where you can do both.

Vibrations are a big concern of mine too, thats why Ive tried to stay midship. Last year on Silhouette our first night we at at Tuscan and I definitely noticed vibrations, but that is deck 4 (?). I think the view would be great aft but Ive been afraid to take the chance.

Our favorite cabins of all are the S1 corner aft cabins. I don't recall anything terribly shaky but on occasion during the docking and undocking process there will be some, depending on how they have to maneuver. I guess personally my expectations are that a ship at sea is going to move around some, and you never know when. I've never once been nervous or afraid on a ship and I'm very fortunate I get no motion sickness ~~crossing fingers~~ at least up to 20 ft. seas for a day. To be honest, if it's too calm for a period of time I kind of long for some wave action, you know?

The worst shaking we had was last cruise in January in the middle of the night and it woke us up (we were in AQ mid ship). On a bridge tour the next day we found out it had been a decent sized earthquake in Puerto Rico and we had been 20 nautical miles away from the epicenter when it happened. It was about 10 seconds and then another 5 or 10 seconds or so and then it was over.

To us any shaking or long walks down to the stairs (which is never a bad thing considering how much food and beverage is consumed on a cruise) are FAR exceeded by the wonderful view, the location "back there." To us, any cabin aft is our first choice but the S1 is our favorite.

We have sailed the Equinox in a Sunset Verandah on deck 8 and we are sailing the Solstice in a Sunset on deck 6. We absolutely LOVE these cabins! They are higher priced than some of the other verandah class cabins, but well worth it to us. The panoramic view is spectacular! Did not feel vibrations and there was no soot that we noticed. The verandah is not completely covered, so people above you can see the backs of your heads when you are out there leaning on the railing. Did not bother us at all.

Yes, it is quite a long walk to anywhere else on the ship. But, as others have noted, it's a vacation and we like to indulge, so the walking is great. In addition, the infamous Martini Bar is half way to the MDR, so a great place to stop for a drink before dinner, after dinner, or anytime we happen to walk by! The waiters always know us by name as we tend to use our Premium upgrade at this wonderful bar!

Happy sailing in a Sunset Verandah!!!

Ava (MauigalRN)

Sailed an S1 aft corner on Equinox. We had some bad seas and there was quite a bit of side to side rocking in addition to the regular riding of the waves. Being motion sensitive it bothered me quite a bit for a couple of the days. Did not feel much in the way of course vibration though:)