For all those in-room coffee lovers...

ChiMimi69

Question: "Java Cafe' on the Sun...is this the 'Starbucks' on the Sun?

Any idea what time it opens?

I have read that Specialty coffee (good coffee) is not covered by the drink package. Good coffee?? Are the pastries and biscuits extra $$??

Thank you. I have never sailed with NCL(yet) so I don't know details.

I have read that Specialty coffee (good coffee) is not covered by the drink package. Good coffee?? Are the pastries and biscuits extra $$??

No it is better than Starbucks (however some will disagree with me). NCL carries Lavazza brand coffee (http://www.lavazza.com) which is an Italian premium brand that can be prepared in a similar fashion to what you find at a Starbucks.

Premium Espresso based coffees are an extra charged, drip coffee and pastries etc are free.

I have been drinking Lavazza at home long before cruising NCL. Was quite happy to discover it is what they use.

Am I understanding that the single serve coffee pots in the balcony? I am hoping they are "pods", somewhat like the single serve pods made by Senseo, or Wolfgang Puck (served in Holiday Inns?) individual pods? Please help me out with just a few more details...Thanks....

Yes, senseo on Breakaway. Other ships I have been on were those 4 cup hotel type round pre-filled filters....

The Sun does have "free" coffee in a giant urn next to the cafe. The pastries were not free, according to the guy working there, unless you bought a coffee, as opposed to the Epic where they were free to anyone. Although, quite frankly, it was pretty tasteless pound cake, similar to those "creme cakes" from some grocery stores-blech...

Every experienced cruiser knows that cruise ship coffee tastes like boiled cardboard with a little kerosene added.

here's my tip for those that want to save their pennies and just order the regular coffee from room service. A cabin steward taught me this and here is my recolllection of that conversation. It was in the late 90's on the Norway, so I hope I'm re-creating the scene properly.

Me: Hello! Reza, would you put in a standing order for room service coffee every morning?

Reza: Of course, madamoiselle (gotta love the guy ! LOL) But will you be wanting chocolate with that?

Me: Ummmm...Well, okay. Do I want chocolate with that? (Because I have learned to listen and pay attention when the crew "recommends" something. They are doing it for your benefit and for your own good. LOL)

Reza: Oh yes, madamoiselle...you want coffee, but you also want hot chocolate, and a little whipped cream. And of course, you will be wanting a bit of milk for the side, oui???

Me: Ummmm...okay...yes, thank you Reza.

The next morning, it arrived, and Reza happened to show up....

I was standing there looking at the tray --- there were 2 cups of coffee, one hot chocolate with whipped cream, and a glass of milk.

Reza: Allow me, madamoiselle (I wanted to take him home and was sorely tempted to marry him so he could get a green card.)....he scooped the whipped cream off the chocolate and put it on the coffee. Then he poured (carefully so he didn't spill) a bit of chocolate into the coffee. Then he added just a tiny bit of milk.

honestly, I am not partial to chocolate. But it was the best coffee ever.

Seriously.

Edited by artist47

Every experienced cruiser knows that cruise ship coffee tastes like boiled cardboard with a little kerosene added.

here's my tip for those that want to save their pennies and just order the regular coffee from room service. A cabin steward taught me this and here is my recolllection of that conversation. It was in the late 90's on the Norway, so I hope I'm re-creating the scene properly.

Me: Hello! Reza, would you put in a standing order for room service coffee every morning?

Reza: Of course, madamoiselle (gotta love the guy ! LOL) But will you be wanting chocolate with that?

Me: Ummmm...Well, okay. Do I want chocolate with that? (Because I have learned to listen and pay attention when the crew "recommends" something. They are doing it for your benefit and for your own good. LOL)

Reza: Oh yes, madamoiselle...you want coffee, but you also want hot chocolate, and a little whipped cream. And of course, you will be wanting a bit of milk for the side, oui???

Me: Ummmm...okay...yes, thank you Reza.

The next morning, it arrived, and Reza happened to show up....

I was standing there looking at the tray --- there were 2 cups of coffee, one hot chocolate with whipped cream, and a glass of milk.

Reza: Allow me, madamoiselle (I wanted to take him home and was sorely tempted to marry him so he could get a green card.)....he scooped the whipped cream off the chocolate and put it on the coffee. Then he poured (carefully so he didn't spill) a bit of chocolate into the coffee. Then he added just a tiny bit of milk.

honestly, I am not partial to chocolate. But it was the best coffee ever.

Seriously.

What a wonderful story. Yes many of these hard working folks know tips and ideas that can make for a wonderful cruise.

Like you in the past with all of my late husband's medical stuff we would introduce ourselves to our cabin steward with a thank you card like you do. In it would be at least $20 and a note saying that with all the extra "trash" we wanted to thank him/her for the added work we would be. Then at the end we would once again leave them a thank you note and extra tip. If they were good I always leave a review at the guest services desk.