For all those in-room coffee lovers...

ChiMimi69

Can I just say that I was devastated when I saw this pic of the coffee maker on the Getaway. A 1 cup machine? Really!?!

get_0915.jpg

Anyway, I started trying to figure out just how I would make MY coffee using my own grounds. Well, I found these refillable pods on Amazon (see below). And, from the Q&A on the product and that of the machine itself. I'm assured they will work well on the Hamilton Beach. So, looks like I CAN have my favorite coffee every morning after all!!! YAY!!!

I thought I would pass this along to my fellow pax and coffee lovers!!! :D

81KDWMTsRnL._SL1500_.jpg

On the two-day cruise on the Breakaway, we were in an outside window room…I don't remember there being a coffee maker in the room. For our 1-week cruise, we will be in an inside room…are they available for the oceanview/inside rooms? Do we just have to ask our room steward? Or are they reserved for a higher class of room?

It isn't the end of the world for us, but it would be kind of nice to have one available too...

"Be nice" to your room steward and you can request a coffee maker.

All employees have taken the "vacation hero" pledge... they will do everything possible to make your vacation THE vacation of a lifetime.

Everything I asked for nicely I got from our room steward...most of them are just great :)

On the two-day cruise on the Breakaway, we were in an outside window room…I don't remember there being a coffee maker in the room. For our 1-week cruise, we will be in an inside room…are they available for the oceanview/inside rooms? Do we just have to ask our room steward? Or are they reserved for a higher class of room?

It isn't the end of the world for us, but it would be kind of nice to have one available too...

Last June we were on the Gem to the Bahamas on an inside cabin. There wasn't a coffee maker. We asked, but still didn't get one. :(

Not going to freak out or go nuts over it - This condensed or concentrate is great, discovered it while we're in CA a few years ago, each 16 oz. bottle mixed/diluted wit chopped ice make 3 cups - it's frozen but can only be in checked luggage when flying home eastbound.

Otherwise, those pre-mixed packets from Starbucks are much better than those tiny ones in the cabin. Or, look for those 3-in-1 by Nescafe sold in Asian supermarkets - hot water is all we need @ about 25 cents/cup.

This will be my first NCL cruise! So, I'm not sure if I'll like the coffee but, I'm partial to my own. I'll give it a whirl though! Thanks!

I found the coffee at the buffet roughly the same as making it in the room but a lot easier...and I really didn't like either. If you have a specific coffee you like these seem like a great idea! I have a Keurig at home and like to vary different types and strangely enough like the Royal Cup we make using a Bunn at work...

I found the coffee at the buffet roughly the same as making it in the room but a lot easier...and I really didn't like either. If you have a specific coffee you like these seem like a great idea! I have a Keurig at home and like to vary different types and strangely enough like the Royal Cup we make using a Bunn at work...

I'm usually not a coffee snob but, I found a brand I can't stop drinking! :D

Usually, balcony and higher have coffee makers. But as someone said, your steward can make it happen most of the time.

We have 20 NCL cruises under our belts and this is the first time I have seen the single cup coffee makers. We have always had the four cup makers, which is much more our style. I will be really disappointed if I have to brew one cup at a time.

G

As an aside, be careful that you don't accidentally press on the silver "on" button, located at the bottom, when you move the cup or maker prior to adding water.

I accidentally did this and in the short time it took to get water to pour in it had heated up enough to spit and sputter angrily when I added the water. Scared the daylights out of me...

From what I have read the suites have Keurig coffee makers in them. We will be on the Star in a mini-suite which has a non-Keurig coffee maker. Has anyone ever asked if the regular coffee maker could be replaced with a Keurig?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

There are 2 types of coffee machines at the buffet. The "regular" one that spits out coffee as soon as you press the button and then the "freshly brewed" one. This one grinds the coffee beans and then infuses your coffee. This one you can actually see the coffee beans on top on the machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I drank my coffee black no sugar for 35 years, got hooked on French Vanilla creamer, picked up a box of individual creamers for the cruise, have my coffee mug packed, quick trip to Blue Lagoon (one flight down and other side of ship, and good to go (this would be after I drink the coffee room service brings with my danish).

We're coffee drinkers, and even though we have had a coffee maker in every cabin we've been in, we just have a standing order for 2 pots delivered every morning at 8 with pastries. Never used the in room one!

There are 2 types of coffee machines at the buffet. The "regular" one that spits out coffee as soon as you press the button and then the "freshly brewed" one. This one grinds the coffee beans and then infuses your coffee. This one you can actually see the coffee beans on top on the machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I have heard of those but have yet to find them. Has anyone seen these currently? On the Getaway?

"Be nice" to your room steward and you can request a coffee maker.

All employees have taken the "vacation hero" pledge... they will do everything possible to make your vacation THE vacation of a lifetime.

Everything I asked for nicely I got from our room steward...most of them are just great :)

I very much agree with you. I have cruised several lines and in all styles of cabin. Here is my secret to getting GREAT service from my cabin steward:

When I get onboard, after lunch, I wander up (or down) to my cabin. I have already prepared the following in advance: a thank you card with a $20 bill inside. I find the steward assigned to my cabin section and I introduce myself.

I say, "It is very nice to meet you and I just want to thank you in advance, for helping to make my vacation wonderful. Because I know it will be and I want you to know that I deeply appreciate how hard you work and all that you will be doing." Then I hand them the card, shake his/her hand, smile and say "See you around!" At the end of the cruise, I tip again, in the same manner - a handwritten thank you note, this time with specifics on how this person made my cruise wonderful, examples of how they really made me happy, and again, money inside.

On every cruise, this has never failed. All of a sudden my cabin steward becomes instantly talented with ESP and can suddenly read my mind! It is amazing what a little kindness and advance generosity can do.

For the cynics on this board: you can consider it a "bribe" if you wish. But the end result is still the same, and my intentions are still a) to be kind and b) to get great service.

Edited by artist47

I have heard of those but have yet to find them. Has anyone seen these currently? On the Getaway?

I do think I read a review of the Getaway that mentions this. I can't find the search feature though --- either the search feature is down or my browser (Opera) isn't showing it. That happens sometimes with Opera.