Ephesus on your own?

Hi:

We will be stopping in Kusadasi and have heard that Ephesus is beautiful.

My parents are under the assumption that we can do Ephesus ourselves...hire a taxi to and from Ephesus and that St. John's Basilica and Mary's House are close enough together that we can just walk there and see everything; they are not concerned about the history behind Ephesus. They plan to just walk around the ruins.

Is it doable? Are admission tickets entrance into Ephesus?

TIA!

We will be stopping for a day here and wondering what there is to do around Kusadai if we decide not to opt for a tour out of town? I am mindful of not doing full tours each day - want some R & R!!

Thanks

Jane

Jane 02

There is plenty of very cheap shopping in market stalls etc. The traders can drive you potty with their somewhat persuasive style but as an Aussie I'm sure you will be able to handle that LOL.Bartering is essential.

There is also a beach and the old Caravanserai ( I think) hotel is worth a look.Very easy to walk round and the ship berths extremely nearby.

We are taking a half day tour to just Ephesus to leave us the afternoon free to chill out. A similar arrangement might suit you.

A tour to Ephesus is much better. You enter at one point, but exit at another. Also a guide can point out all details of the buildings, statues etc., which you might not notice on your own.

It can be hot there, take plenty of water and a hat.

Been doing some research on Kusadasi and Ephesus. I've read many of the same comments that one can take a taxi to Ephesus, purchase a guidebook at the entrance and hire one of the guides at the entrance. Others suggest renting a car, which I wouldn't do since taxi's are inexpensive and you can share a taxi with another couple. Here are two comments I copied from the fodors Europe forum:

We did Ephesus on our own. We bought a wonderful guide book at the top and wandered where we wanted to go. We sat where we wanted to rest and not where the tour told us to. I agree with the previous poster who said of all the places you least need a guide, Ephesus tops the list. It is a spectacular place and one you can easily do on your own, but do get a good guide book. If you take a taxi, buy a guide book, a hat, and a bottle of water, it will still cost less than a shore tour from the ship and you will enjoy it more! Have fun.

We got a taxi from the port and hired an independent guide and it was a really good tour - interesting and informative. The advantages were that it worked out much cheaper than the organised tour, and we could set off first thing in the morning so that we did the tour during the coolest part of the day.

Monica :)

Jane 02

There is plenty of very cheap shopping in market stalls etc. The traders can drive you potty with their somewhat persuasive style but as an Aussie I'm sure you will be able to handle that LOL.Bartering is essential.

There is also a beach and the old Caravanserai ( I think) hotel is worth a look.Very easy to walk round and the ship berths extremely nearby.

We are taking a half day tour to just Ephesus to leave us the afternoon free to chill out. A similar arrangement might suit you.

Thank you for this info...this is exactly what I was thinking of doing as well.We go in Sept. and I am sure it will still be quite warm so the beach would be good as well.BTW, what happens if one does not barter..there is just one thing I want to purchase and it would not be expensive...not having been to Turkey before I am assumming it is like Morocco??

Monica Pileggi: Thanks for that great info; I think we will take a taxi and possibly hire a guide there. I hope it is easy to get a return taxi to the port.

Do you have any idea how much a taxi would cost?

Thanks!

When my husband and I left the ship in Kusadasi, we were accosted by numerous taxi drivers. The first wanted $130, but we got a very good driver for $40 for the two of us. First stop was the House of the Virgin Mary, which we did not consider a worthwhile stop, however, others may. Admission was $12 pp. Next the driver dropped us at the top gate of the Ephesus ruins where we bought a guidebook (a guide could have been secured as well). Entrance fee was about $15 pp. The driver said to take our time and we would meet us at the lower gate of the city. We rambled through the ruins, soaking in the atmosphere. After about 90 minutes, we exited and our driver was waiting for us. Since Turkish lira is required for admissions, our taxi driver paid for both our admissions to the two venues for us in lira.

WARNING: The next stop is where my warning comes in. This taxi driver (as do many other drivers) as well as many tour busses, stop at both a leather "factory" (really just a shop) and a carpet weaving center. Both are enroute back to Kusadasi. When I entered the leather shop, I was wearing a beautiful, expensive gold bracelet (which I wore that day in order to find matching earrings). While in the shop, my salesman insisted on trying numerous leather jackets on me, fiddling with the sleeves on each one. At one point, he pulled on my wrist a couple of times extremely hard. Silly me, why would you be suspicious of a salesman in a very large, tourist-friendly shop! Live and learn. Numerous phone calls back to this location and speaking with the manager of the store did not prove successful in recovering my bracelet. Moral of the story: if you want to keep it, don't wear it in Turkey.

Of course pickpockets in Rome on the subway and gypsies in Spain all over the place can make short work of your luggage, camera, credit card lying on a table in a restaurant, wallet, or anything else in your pocket or on your person.

Not trying to alarm anyone. We believe in traveling and will continue to do so. Just be careful. I noticed an American tourist in Vatican square who had listened to someone's warning and was carrying his wallet in his front pocket. Unfortunately, it was a shallow pocket and even I could have retrieved his wallet unnoticed. Cargo pants for men with velcro on the front pockets are excellent.

Back to the taxi driver, at the end of the journey when he returned us to the ship, we paid him the $40, and entrance fees and a very nice tip. He gave us his card and, later when we discovered the loss of the bracelet, he was helpful in providing the phone number for Ionia Leather and the carpet center.

So, yes, doing Ephesus on your own is extremely easy. Getting through the shops and the incredibly aggressive shop people in the town of Kusadasi is something else again. Just be firm and, if you don't want to look, keep walking. Also, ignore the guys on the street selling fake perfumes, bags, etc. They look real but aren't.

Have a great trip.

Susierailroad

Monica Pileggi: Thanks for that great info; I think we will take a taxi and possibly hire a guide there. I hope it is easy to get a return taxi to the port.

Do you have any idea how much a taxi would cost?

Thanks!

Susierailroad's price of a taxi is what I've seen (sorry you got your bracelet stolen!). It's a much better price than taking the ships tour or hiring a guide. You might be able to get a taxi for 4 people, making it a better deal.

I've also read that 1/2 day is a decent amount of time for Ephesus. That's what I'm planning to do so I can a have some time in Kusadasi or another area to visit.

Monica

Does anyone have the entrance fees for Ephesus? Does the price include entrance into the House of Mary and St John's Basilica or are those separate?

susierailroad: Did you pay approximately $27 in entrance fees for Ephesus($15) and House of Mary($12)?

THANKS!

Archived