yellow fever vaccination requirements,Colon.

bascoman

Has anyone sailed the Panama Canal Partial transit cruise-Fort Lauderdale,Aruba,Cartegena, Panama canal, limon(costa rica), Jamaica,Fort Lauderdale?

Did you need to have a yellow fever vaccination or the associated certificate for the cruise, or any of the Excursions?

There seems to be a grey area where the vaccine is recommended in the province of Colon.

We are going on an excursion, where we transit the canal on a smaller boat, then transfer back to the ship by coach, where we rejoin the ship at Colon city.

That means we are in Colon for all of twenty minutes.Do we really need this vaccination?

Any advise or opinion would be welcomed:confused:.

Has anyone sailed the Panama Canal Partial transit cruise-Fort Lauderdale,Aruba,Cartegena, Panama canal, limon(costa rica), Jamaica,Fort Lauderdale?

Did you need to have a yellow fever vaccination or the associated certificate for the cruise, or any of the Excursions?

There seems to be a grey area where the vaccine is recommended in the province of Colon.

We are going on an excursion, where we transit the canal on a smaller boat, then transfer back to the ship by coach, where we rejoin the ship at Colon city.

That means we are in Colon for all of twenty minutes.Do we really need this vaccination?

Any advise or opinion would be welcomed:confused:.

You do not need any vaccinations etc. for this cruise, including for the excursion you mention. We weren't bothered by mosquitos anywhere on the itinerary.

The buses from the excursion take you back directly to the ship, which sails shortly after you return. The only part of Colon you might even be tempted to visit is the one block of stores facing the ship [behind that is all slums].

I have done the cruise in question, and though vaccines weren't required at the time I was barred from giving blood for five years after the trip, although I believe that was actually from the malaria risk and not the yellow fever.

To put my 2 cents in here. The Canal Excursion is great. So glad that we took it. However be forewarned, it is an hour's bus ride from where the tender lets you to the ferry. Their were 2 couples on our bus who gave the guide a hard time about the length of the ride. They obviously had not read the full description of the excursion. We had and enjoyed the vey scenic ride. BYW the food on the ferry was pretty good and there was plenty of it along with plenty of cold water and sodas. Once we were back in Colon, went shopping at the Super 99 and stocked up on soda.

To put my 2 cents in here. The Canal Excursion is great. So glad that we took it. However be forewarned, it is an hour's bus ride from where the tender lets you to the ferry. Their were 2 couples on our bus who gave the guide a hard time about the length of the ride. They obviously had not read the full description of the excursion.

Right -- why are they wasting all this money making the Canal wider, when they should be making it SHORTER!!! ;););)

I have done the cruise in question, and though vaccines weren't required at the time I was barred from giving blood for five years after the trip, although I believe that was actually from the malaria risk and not the yellow fever.

DH has quit even trying to donate blood. Seems we've always been someplace that makes it not wanted because of the Malaria risk.

(I can't anyway for other health/underweight issues.)

Too bad. He's perfectly healthy.

LuLu

~~~~

Posted a lengthy reply this morning but it has got lost in cyberspace I think. I also enquired about Yellow Fever with this cruise as sometimes you require a YF certificate to enter a country if you have already been to a country with YF. However I understand that you don't need it for this cruise.

I am a nurse from UK and also on the cruise on March 4th. No anti malarials are required as the places visited either have low or no risk and there is no need to take anti malarials. Please use an insect repellent though and one with DEET 50% - you will get this in Boots. Please note that YF mosquitos bite during the day and malaria mosquitos between dusk and dawn so I would use the insect spray during the day although you should be okay while sailing.

As far as Hep A and Hep B vaccinations go. Hep A comes from contaminated food and water i.e. poor hygiene and Hep B from blood products e.g. if you were to have any surgical procedure or blood transfusion etc. Hep A I think is good to have as a traveller however you can also pick up other gastro infections just as easily. Hep B is really risk based and personally as a passenger on a cruise ship I wouldn't bother - it is 3 vaccinations anyway. Please note this my personal opinion and if you are concerned then contact your GP practice or visit http://www.fitfortravel.co.uk

Hope this helps