Epic Cruise

Hopperhop

Just got back from a great cruise on the Epic yesterday! I was a bit worried after reading some of the reviews from the last few months and the complaints that people were making. I went on this cruise with my wife, son and brother.

This is not really a formal review but more just the mindless ramblings of a demented cruiser.

Some of my thoughts: The motion issues that some people had mentioned were non existent on this particular cruise. It was actually one of the smoothest cruises I have ever been on regarding the motion on the ship. I have been on 11 cruises prior to this one, all but one on Princess ships.

I thought that all of the employees I encountered or had any dealings with were super friendly and had wonderful attitudes. I really enjoyed talking to them and they seemed very happy. Maybe this is a different crew or something but I did not encounter anyone who was even a bit rude or did not seem like they wanted to be there.

Regarding the food: The only time that we really had any "major" issue is at O'sheehans. We had to wait a long time for the food after finally ordering and when the food arrived it was not really as hot as it should have been. It was not cold but it was getting there. The barely warm mozzarella sticks and spinach dip were really bad heat wise. I put the word major in " " because this was a cruise, there is always food elsewhere on the ship either at the buffet or in the dining rooms.

The service was noticeably slower in the main dining rooms than it was when we cruised on the Epic a year ago December. This did not mess us up on making any of the shows or anything like that but sometimes the pacing of receiving the food was not so great. Also, they always brought out the desserts before the coffee which seemed a bit strange so by the end of the cruise we started asking for the coffee when they started to pick up things from the main course. All of the food that we had was served hot. We did not receive any of it cold, unless it was suppose to be, on all 7 nights that we ate in either Taste or Manhattan.

I thought that the buffet food was outstanding considering that it was buffet food. Sure the French fries are not "hot" hot if you do not get them right away but they were not bad by any stretch. I also thought that the variety of food offered was great. I know that some people complain that the breakfast items are always the same but I don't know what else they could add or change. They have such a huge variety of things to begin with. Also, I just love the set up of the buffet compared to the Princess ships which I am used to mostly. Sure, you have to wait a little bit in line sometimes but not very long.

I did not go to any of the specialty restaurants but my wife and son got some sushi at the sushi bar one evening and they thought it was great and reasonably priced.

I am not a food connoisseur by any mean but I amazed at how good the food is in the dining rooms and at the buffet considering they are trying to feed about 3,500 hundred people or more at a time.

Entertainment: Loved the Cirque dinner show. These are some of the most incredible athletes/performers that you will ever get a chance to see, especially so close. I highly recommend this show. Also the steak that I had for dinner was super tender and the coconut shrimp were really good.

Blue Man group was the Blue Man Group not much more that you can say. I thought it was a really good show but it is certainly not for everyone. You will either like it or it will creep you out.

I thought the Second City performers were good. I enjoy the improve type of comedy. Even though a lot of the sketch bits were the same ones I saw over a year ago, I was still amused by them.

The magician/comedian Levent was great. He was so funny and had some really good tricks and involved the audience in some of them. I know that there are easy explanations for most of the tricks/illusions but I am still baffled by them.

Regarding the Legend's show. Like everybody has stated, the Steven Tyler guy was really good and the best performer/look alike I thought. I ran into him at the atrium coffee shop one afternoon and got my picture taken with him. He is a really nice guy. The younger version of Elvis was also pretty good and I will have to agree with what other people have said about the Katy Perry singer, she was not quite as good. I always try to keep in mind that they people are not exact doubles or identical twins for the performers so they will look and sound different. I was entertained by all of the performers even thought they may not have been exact. Just as a side note, I thought that the dancers that performed with the Legends were really good.

Overall, I thought this was a great cruise and my family and I had a wonderful time!! I know that I may not be the most harsh critic but I am on a cruise to have a good time. I was away from work, not blowing snow, got to lay out in the sun and met so many wonderful people, see wonderful places, watch great entertainment and eat to my heart's desire. How could I not enjoy that!!

Glad you had a good cruise and thank you for taking the time to post. Really appreciate it.

From one demented cruiser to another, ya done good!

Much appreciated and thank you again.

Glad to hear food was good and the motion not so bad.

Happy cruising.

~Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Edited by meatball_nyc

Great review, Ill be on the epic march 9th. I find it difficult to understand some of the Whining that I read on here about the Epic. My 1st Epic cruise was so great I choose the Epic ship again for my honeymoon!

I was on the same cruise and can second just about everything OP posted. This was our second time on Epic and my third ever cruise. Some additional comments:

I thought this Second City Troupe was the best I have seen so far.

Finally find the chocolate crepes at the dinner buffet everybody talks about. One night we didn't even look at dessert menu in Taste and just made it in time for crepes, actually we were late but crepe maker?? took care of us.

Spent some time just about every night at Fat Cats to hear Cruise Machine. Four great blues players, can't understand why it was so empty most sets. I wanted to research the group when I got home but can't find out anything about them. I found

a Cruisemachine.net website but not them .If anybody has any info I'd love to read it.

I also read all the negative reviews prior to sailing and found myself shaking my head wondering if i was on the same ship people were writing about. I know every cruise is different and opinions are subjective but I have to say this was the least rocky cruise out of my three, we never had a problem with our room attendant, finding a table at the breakfast table wasn't too bad, ship wasn't too smokey( I hate cigarette smoke), I thought overall crew was very pleasant.

I'd say the $59PP for Posh passes was money well spent!

Future Epic cruisers, Enjoy!

I just take negative reviews with a pinch of salt.Glad to hear things are not that bad. :) can't wait for the chocolate crepes for my TA in April. I also felt the coffee after desserts was a NCL thing, as I noticed the Star did that last year too, and its common to happen that way in the UK so never really thought it odd.

I just take negative reviews with a pinch of salt.Glad to hear things are not that bad. :) can't wait for the chocolate crepes for my TA in April. I also felt the coffee after desserts was a NCL thing, as I noticed the Star did that last year too, and its common to happen that way in the UK so never really thought it odd.

A pinch of salt (and a shot of tequila!) :D

We lived in London for 6 years and we got used to having our coffee (french press - yummy) after our dessert or cheese. It was so strange when we came back to the US and got our coffee with our dessert. We kept wondering if they were trying to get rid of us!

Glad to read you had a good time on the Epic. I'm sailing her solo in December (airline tickets purchased, so no changing my mind), and like you I'm focused on food. Did you use the gym and/or spa at all? How was the pool deck and/or Spice H20?

Cheers!

I did not use the spa or gym but I did stop in to look and it looks really nice and has tons of equipment. I stopped in really early in the morning when it not busy so I cannot comment on how crowded it is later in the morning or during the day.

The pool setup on the Epic is a bit weird, for me, based on what I have seen on Princess. They have 2 small pools, one deep(about 5') and one that is quite shallow and more set up for kids. We were fortunate and never had any trouble finding available chairs in the balcony type area above the pools.

Spice H2O is set up really nice with a small swimming pool and has a teared section leading up to a bar and small buffet area. This area is mostly for adults and has a big screen above the pool that shows movies during the evening.

I am pretty sure that you will have a wonderful time on your cruise!!:)

Glad you had a great time. We did as well. Who was in Fat Cats?

Cruz,

I am sorry but I cannot help you out on that one. I only poked my head into that place once for a few minutes and I never looked to see the name of the band.

Just off the Epic this past Sunday, I have to agree with the original poster. After reading the many negative posts before sailing I had doubts I made the wrong decision. The staff was very attentive, helpful, and nice at all times. We ate in the specialty restaurants and enjoyed all of them, nice menus and very good food. The only negative I have is that I am not sure I am fond of the mega ships, but went onboard with a positive attitude. My husband and I prefer the Jewel class ships. However, I am certainly willing to try these mega ships again in the future.

Sandy