Oasis Photo Review – All Dining and Drinks Menus - Daily Programs

Outstanding descriptions. Finding myself watching each day of your trip, and looking forward to our trip 1 year after you. I have a much better idea of what we are going to get and can look forward to.

We look forward to the next 3 days of details!

I am really enjoying your review and beautiful pictures. Thank you very much for taking the time to do this. I know it must be very time consuming.

I will be on the Oasis the end of March for the first time. I sailed on the Allure 2 years ago and was amazed by it. Now I can't wait to go on the Oasis.

Again thank you = looking forward to reading more.

Hi betmust,

Alll feedback is truly appreciated because without it you cannot tell how your review is being received.

I would go on the Oasis or Allure again without hesitation. In fact the Allure will be sailing in the Med throughout the summer of 2015, so it's very likely I'll be seeing her then.

Regards

megacruiser

loving your posts and pics! we leave in three weeks and I'm enjoying it all--pics, menus and the compass. thanks so much!! looking forward to following along on the journey!

Thanks dee21,

Great to hear that folk are following along. Much appreciated.

megacruiser

Thanks dee21,

Great to hear that folk are following along. Much appreciated.

megacruiser

You have done the best job reporting I have ever seen on here. My wife and I will be on Oasis 2 weeks from Saturday.I hope to get to Scotland next year and see Rosslyn Chapel

Rick

Can't wait to see this aspect of your review. Waiting for dining options to come up on my upcoming cruise and I was considering what to select. I was leaning towards the Chef's Dining Package and your review of the Chef's Table looked like that may be the right choice (although, really, I'm not a big foodie - I just want good food and an interesting experience.)

I admit I was reading quickly - did you say you were traveling alone? I will be.

Thanks for taking the time to post your review!

Hello Alter Ego,

Sorry it has taken so long to respond. I AM workinng my way through all the feedback and now is rather timely as I am just about to post my review of 150 Central Park.

Anyone who enjoys good food I am sure would also appreciate the Chef's table experience, even if the food is not the absolute apex, it's good enough and the night is memorable.

Sadly I now do travel on my own more then before, hence taking up photgraphy to give an added interest when away.

Thanks for commenting, appreciated.

megacruiser

150 Central Park

SCAN0001_zps6102bf62.jpg

Like the Chef's Table, only a fixed menu is on offer. Menu 1 is available for the first four nights of the cruise and Menu 2 for the remaining three. The cost is $40. I had pre-purchased a Wine Package; otherwise I would have opted for the wine pairing at an additional $35, having enjoyed this aspect so much at the Chef's Table.

I really had no idea how good, bad or indifferent this speciality restaurant would be and I know from past experience some can be a disappointment. Not this one. By a clear margin this was the finest meal I have ever eaten at sea.

The service here is fairly formal and very informative but not fawning or showy.

150WAITERS_zpsd6e26e02.jpg

My waiter was so obviously very interested in his job and his descriptions delivered were far removed from some robotic parrot-fashion discourse. I can’t believe all staff provided the detail, background and insight that he did. He explained the ethos of the food served. It’s all about flavour and provenance - the importance of sourcing produce only from specific trusted farms. Well there may well be something in it…

]DSCF4341_zps3200b13a.jpg

As you would expect the table is laid beautifully but what’s that addition not normally seen?

150Salts_zps9f1f041a.jpg

Six different flavoured salts. What’s that all about? It’s all a bit beyond my experience or comprehension and I never add salt anyway for health reasons, so didn’t even taste them.

DSCF4306_zpsaa19d74a.jpg

I am not going to describe each dish in detail because it is impossible to convey properly the delicate, truly natural tasting flavours running throughout the meal. The actual taste of the main element was always clearly identified and never muddled by the other elements that always compliment rather than attempt to dominate. The components of each dish are beautifully balanced and well integrated not only individually, but also with the other dishes and the order in which they are served.

150DAY4STARTER_zps17ccf4ea.jpg

Take the first course, Borek Farms Beets, with rabiola cheese, pistachio and citrus. Beets as the central part of the dish, seriously? It just didn’t get my taste buds going - all sounded a bit tart. My oh my, how wrong could I have been? An absolute revelation! Prepared three ways, the earthy depth of flavours from the beets was unlike any others I have ever eaten and even the pickled component was light and delicate. The cheese and citrus segments of orange and grapefruit were integral and not overpowering. Even the pistachio nuts were an essential element in providing needed texture and crunch whilst the micro herbs used throughout most of the meal were more than mere garnishes and actually provided noticeable flavour to finish the dish.

This amazing dish got me scratching my head saying, how is that possible? The idea of inventing a dish like this takes someone who really has a great palate and understands how to create something that is far from obvious. A touch of genius I would say. After this first course of six, I guessed there and then I was about to experience something truly extraordinary…

150DAY4SOUP_zpsadb294d7.jpg

Butternut Squash soup is seldom a disappointment but this was very refined with both fullness of flavour, yet delicacy. Then in comes the spice from the chorizo that counterbalances the sweetness. Pumpkin seeds and onion sprouts, again more texture and flavour to finish the dish. When I looked back on the meal to try to find any fault whatsoever, the only thing I could think of was that some of the little pieces of chorizo were rather hard. Now it does say “crispy” on the menu and maybe that was the intention but to me they were more than crispy and the hard texture clashed a bit - but that really is nitpicking…

150DAY4CRABRAVIOLINICOURSE3_zps925951e8.jpg

The Crabmeat Raviolini was lovely. The pasta was thin, the crab tasted fresh and delicious and don’t be misled by the chillies, which had no real kick to them and were more like mild peppers, again a flavour component that together with the mint added an extra dimension just where it was needed.

150DAY4POMPANO_zpsb6970a18.jpg

The Pompano reminded a little of Grouper, again everything listed on the menu was present and identifiable. It was so perfectly cooked and satisfying I wouldn’t have missed having a meat course…

I say that, but didn’t reckon on what came next...

150DAY4SHORTRIB_zps0be35e3d.jpg

The Short Rib vied with the Beets as the most amazing dish of the meal - intense flavour, melting in the mouth in the most moreish manner and oh, those onions, yummy. The romesco sauce was not some sort of flavour masker, like peppercorn sauce over an indifferent steak, but a thoughtful addition to bring an added complimentary dimension to the dish.

Edited by megacruiser

150DAY4PANNACOTTA_zps0fee6962.jpg

The dessert was just perfectly delivered. Panna Cotta I tend to think of as a safe and uninspiring option but this was brilliantly executed when combined with the baklava and pomegranate that added the counterbalancing taste and texture that it needed. Couldn’t fault it, but I just wasn’t blown away in the way I had been with everything else.

So there we have it, my best ever meal at sea and at $40 what an amazing bargain! It was also probably in my top ten meals anywhere. That has to be a truly tremendous achievement because of the real constraints on obtaining and storing fresh produce on a cruise. So the ingredients must be absolutely at the peak of freshness when leaving Fort Lauderdale and stored in a manner that keeps them that way as much as possible. It follows that there could be an argument that dining at 150 Central Park on day one may be even better… is that really possible?

Off then to the Opal Theatre for the Headliner Showtime. I had been hoping the Beatles tribute band would still be on board but instead it was Kenny James.

DSCF4692_zpsf1c6af4b.jpg

He is not a singer I had heard of, although I understand he won a television talent show called Star Search many years ago. I don’t know why this artist has not become an international star. He has a phenomenal voice - certainly good enough to be constantly in work in places like Vegas.

DSCF4656_zpsd803dee6.jpg

He came into the audience to interact. The show was excellent and it is also worth mentioning that the sound quality in the theatre was superb. Now we tend to take that for granted, but if you ever go on a ship with a poor sound engineer it can be enormously detrimental to the enjoyment of the performances.

ALLANBROOKSCDOASIS_zps180e8ed4.jpg

Allan Brooks the Cruise Director tended to come on stage after each show and do a little bit of a comedy routine and advise about later activities and the day ahead. I thought he was very talented, I liked his manner and thought he had a great sense of humour.

Next to co come will be Deck 6, including the Boardwalk in detail. It may be tomorrow because I can’t sit up until 2.45am again when I have work the next day at 8. Again thanks for following, and if you are, please let me know. Much appreciated.

Thank you soooo much for this review and the beautiful pictures. We will be on the Oasis May 3rd with our best friends to celebrate our 25th anniversary. This will be our first cruise so I am soaking up as much information as I can.

We did OASIS Chef's Table in January. I would agree with you that wine and service were excellent. The foods itself was just OK for us. I was hoping we just got unlucky with our food, but after talking to many other cruisers I would say that if you did other Chef's Tables (on land or at sea on the different line) you may be disappointed. Our food was too salty and a little overcook.

Hi iaae4,

Well we both agree there were overseasoning issues - in one of my dishes it wasn't just salt. However my overall assessment of the food was very good. Not excellent or anything near what it was hyped to be but I think it was better than "OK". You are a very demanding diner... nothing wrong with that. :)

Thanks for your feedback. All is truly appreciated.

megacruiser

MegaCruiser-

I just wanted to thank you for putting in so much time doing this:) I am taking my 2 daughters and their families on the Oasis next June....We had to wait until the last grandchild was born so we could all be together and we are very much looking forward to it:)

I look forward to more of your wonderful review.:o

Hi Whiskey40,

Thanks so much for taking the time to give such positive feedback. It really means a lot to me.

Cheers

megacruiser

This is one of the best reviews I've read - thanks for taking the time to do it and the pictures are great.We're boarding Allure next week so, although a different ship, it's pretty similar and on the same itinerary.

I was particularly interested to hear your views on 150 Central Park (and to see the pics) as this is one we really want to try. We've done Chef's Table twice on different ships and loved it but fancied something different this time and thought we'd do the Central Park wine pairing so it's great to hear how much you enjoyed it and that you think it would work well with the wine pairing.

Do you know what the other menu is at 150 ? For some reason, that one doesn't interest me, but I was hoping to try it in May.

Also, here is the obligatory great review compliment!

Hello ncurcio,

Funny you should ask, but yes I do and I hope I have all the menus for Speciality Restaurants.

I am going to have to test your patience because I dined again at 150 on the last night. I had heard from others on the ship that the second menu was more to their liking. Was it as good? Keep following!

BTW, I can't emphasise enough that you cannot judge what those meals will be like by the menus alone. I looked and thought... I'll give it a go. Couldn't have been more delighted.

I also appreciate your compliment given in a spirit of warm-hearted generosity as it was. :rolleyes: To be serious I am not so concerned about compliments, welcome as they are, if sincere. However I would love it if those following this review would just say even one word "Following". That's enough for me to know it is of interest. Not asking too much is it? :)

megacruiser

Edited by megacruiser

Thank you so much for your review - we were on this sailing and I'm getting to re-live the vacation here in the freezing cold Northeast U.S.

I got a kick out of your pic in the comedy club, as we are in it. I hope you don't mind if I download it to put in my vacation album.

We had a great time, but not quite as much as the Allure same time last year; however we didn't waste as much time wandering around lost!

Looking forward to your next installments.

Kim

Following! Love it!

Thanks dcarjn, "Love it" is fantastic, thanks. The most important thing to me is that you are "Following". If everyone who is following just posted that one word, I would know whether ny efforts have been worthwhile.

Thanks again.

megacruiser

Great review! (have been Following your narrative since the first post)

Your insight has had great impact on our trip planning.

I also published a link to you on our Roll Call.

Thank you for your attention to detail and flavourful descriptions.