Pre-Purchasing Alcohol/Purchase on Board

IMKTDQT810

I am looking through the "Fun Shops" to get my son and husband each a surprise for when we sail. We are not big alcohol drinkers but I did see something DH likes to have every once in a while. So I was wondering, if I pre-purchase it, will it be in the cabin when we arrive and if he doesn't consume it all can we carry it off in our carry on? Also, if we wait and purchase it on board can he have it in the cabin or do you purchase it to get it the last night before disembarking?

Thanks for letting me know, I would hate to spend $80.00 on a bottle and have to leave half behind.

You can pre purchase it and it will be in your room when you board, assuming you board in a place that will allow that (Think Texas is the only place that doesn't). You should also be able to take it off with you no problem...we did anyway...½ bottle of vodka and rum.

Not sure about purchasing it while you are on the cruise. no experience with that.

I am looking through the "Fun Shops" to get my son and husband each a surprise for when we sail. We are not big alcohol drinkers but I did see something DH likes to have every once in a while. So I was wondering, if I pre-purchase it, will it be in the cabin when we arrive and if he doesn't consume it all can we carry it off in our carry on? Also, if we wait and purchase it on board can he have it in the cabin or do you purchase it to get it the last night before disembarking?

Thanks for letting me know, I would hate to spend $80.00 on a bottle and have to leave half behind.

As long as your cruise isn't leaving from Galveston, it will be in your cabin when you arrive. I don't see why you couldn't take it when you leave. If you purchase it on board through room service, you can consume it during your cruise but you do run the risk of it not being available if its something special.

Diane

Edited by msolberg

We have pre-purchased alcohol on our two previous cruises and are one coming up. We have always ended up having a little bit left over and have taken it home with us. Since we cruise out of Florida, they have had it in the room prior to sailing. Like the others have said, I believe Texas is the only place that doesn't deliver it until you are underway.

Any liquor you buy onboard in the gift shops will be held and delivered to your cabin the last night. I've read about ordering the bon-voyage bottles via room service but never had reason to try.

As for preordered liquor, I've had no troubles taking any remnants home after the cruise. I bring a printed copy of my email receipt as well as the slip of paper delivered with the bottle in the cabin and don't declare to Customs (since it was purchased in the US).

Thank you for the info...I might do this then since it will be our 4th wedding anniversary and our 1st balcony that in the evenings we can sit, sip and enjoy (Coffee for me but his bottle for him hee,hee).

@dd2355- THANK YOU for the tip on saving/bringing the papers. I never even thought about customs!! I'm glad I asked about it on this thread.

And we would be out of MD not TX...so we are all good!!

I buy either a bottle of rum or a bottle of vodka from Bon Voyage and it is available in the room when I get there. When you check out online, choose delivery the first evening instead of at embarkation so you do not have to pay tax on the purchase. You can also bring soda or juice on board in your carry on to use as mixers, if you like.

I also pack an EMPTY rum runner to pour the leftover liquor in to pack in my suitcase on the way home. I think the rum runner packs easier than a glass bottle. Also, I have had the TSA open and inspect my suitcase when I have carried home bottles of alcohol in my suitcase.

Have fun!

I buy either a bottle of rum or a bottle of vodka from Bon Voyage and it is available in the room when I get there. When you check out online, choose delivery the first evening instead of at embarkation so you do not have to pay tax on the purchase. You can also bring soda or juice on board in your carry on to use as mixers, if you like.

I also pack an EMPTY rum runner to pour the leftover liquor in to pack in my suitcase on the way home. I think the rum runner packs easier than a glass bottle. Also, I have had the TSA open and inspect my suitcase when I have carried home bottles of alcohol in my suitcase.

Have fun!

I recently ordered a bottle of Captain Morgan along with several of the cooler/beer gift sets to be delivered to not only our cabin but some of our friends cabins. They will be waiting for us upon arrival and I wasn't charged any tax. :)

If you purchase it online, you indicate when you want it delivered-we always have it when we board. Have never finished a bottle yet and we have been on three different cruise lines. We always bring it home with us. You can put it in your carry on if you are driving but I recommend in your checked luggage if you are flying (TSA will take it away at the security check-in if over the ounce limits).

If you purchase from the Duty Free shop onboard you do not get it until the last night of the cruise, unless you wait until the last night and then they let you take it with you from the shop.

Happy Sailing!!

I pre-ordered a bottle of Jack Daniels for our last cruise and it was waiting for me in the room when we got there.

We brought along with us, two 12-packs of soda. You are allowed to bring unopened 12-packs of soda in cans, 1 x 12 pack per person upon check-in.

I ended up only drinking about half of it throughout the duration of the cruise, and took the rest home with me.

Here is a pic of it I took upon entering our cabin. jack.jpg

What about liquor purchased in ports? Are we allowed to carry it back on if it is still sealed? Is it duty free?

You have to turn it in when you get back on board, and they will deliver to you on the last night. You are allowed (with some exceptions, but in general) one liter of duty free alcohol per adult when you return to the States, but I've never been charged duty on what I went over.

Edited by irishnyc

Considering the duty rates, it's no wonder if they don't bother you with it. Smartest/safest thing is declare any liquor purchased outside the US. Worst case they hit you with a few bucks in duty.

Truth be told, the pricing on-ship and in Cozumel a few weeks ago was "okay" relative to stores here in Georgia, but as we don't drink a lot on a regular basis it wasn't worth bothering with. That said, we're relatively cheap here compared to some states, especially those with ABC stores. (Couple examples from a nearby store using their online prices for in-store pickup: Kahlua $24/1.75L, Seagrams7 is $17/1.75L, Jack Daniels Black $28/1L or $39/1.75L -- add 6% sales tax for out-the-door total)

Best thing to do is research your local prices before you leave home so you have something to compare to. We brough along a store price list booklet (Total Wine has them at the door) and were easily able to compare prices.

Duty rates: http://www.usitc.gov/publications/docs/tata/hts/bychapter/0910C22.pdf

Best thing to do is research your local prices before you leave home so you have something to compare to. We brough along a store price list booklet (Total Wine has them at the door) and were easily able to compare prices.

I would also suggest checking the ship prices on what you would like to buy before going into port so you know how they compare. We have sometimes found it cheaper on the ship or about the same price.

In WA we have double taxes so as an example a .750 bottle of Bacardi Superior may be on sale for $10.99 at the store but you will pay almost $7 in taxes.

I remember purchasing Bacardi and Crown on the Spirit a few years back and I believed the bottles were a liter exactly. Can any one validate that?

I remember purchasing Bacardi and Crown on the Spirit a few years back and I believed the bottles were a liter exactly. Can any one validate that?

Yes, bottles on the ship are often 1 liter.

Good point regarding knowing the prices on-ship before going ashore.

I have never understood why people buy alcohol from ports or foreign countries or duty free shops(which is BS). I live in L.A and souther CA has so many options to buy alcohol at great deals..like Costco, BevMo, Vons or Ralphs etc.. I have never found alcohol cheaper outside the SO CA area. Can someone give me an example where alcohol is really cheap?

I have never understood why people buy alcohol from ports or foreign countries or duty free shops(which is BS).

Not everyone lives in a state with inexpensive liquor. Check out the prices of stuff in states with ABC boards.

For example: http://www.lcbapps.lcb.state.pa.us/webapp/product_management/Files/productCatalog.PDF

Even people who live in states with low prices will get caught up in the perception of getting a deal. They "sell it" pretty hard on the ship, emphasizing scarcity ("We only have 25 bottles!") and the limited time you can buy -- all while passengers have no access to comparative pricing information.

I have never understood why people buy alcohol from ports or foreign countries or duty free shops(which is BS). I live in L.A and souther CA has so many options to buy alcohol at great deals..like Costco, BevMo, Vons or Ralphs etc.. I have never found alcohol cheaper outside the SO CA area. Can someone give me an example where alcohol is really cheap?

When visiting Costco in So Cal. last year, we got a 1.75 litter of Bacardi for $15.99 or $16.99. In WA. same price at Costco but they add almost $11 to it for taxes, so $28 for the same bottle. On the cruise we often purchase the liter bottles and get them for the same rate at home, $11 for a .750 bottle, smaller bottle, but again we don't pay the $7 tax per bottle on the cruise.

It is very expensive to drink in WA. Probably why we legalized pot. lol

If you have any liquor left over, you're going to need to relearn how to party!

Seriously though, we preordered a bottle of Makers Mark+6-pack of coke for $85 and a bottle of Bacardi+6-pack of coke for about the same (sis ordered this the night before we boarded). The Maker's was waiting for us in the room and the Bacardi was delivered by room service later that night.

My group disposed of these by the end of the second day and we were able to order another 1 liter bottle of Maker's from room service for $80, but no dice on the "booze+mixer" package once onboard. This was delivered by room service maybe 10 minutes after we ordered it.

Pricey considering a 1.75 of Maker's Mark runs less than $45 at our local Costco, but $80 for a liter beats the heck out of the bar prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app