Playa Palancar

malmo288

I am really interested in going to this beach. From pictures it looks beautiful but I can't find much information that's recent. Does anyone who has been here before have any information that would help make my decision? Like what is the sand like walking into the beach? About how much are drinks? Does this beach ever feel crowded with a lot of boats in Port? And I know it can range depending on what port you come into, but about how long does it take to get there?

We have been to Cox 7 or 8 times and have always gone to Palancar. Never been crowded, probably no more than 50 people at most. Not much in the way of beach toys but rather just a quiet secluded place to relax. It is a $20 taxi ride each way for Puerta Maya and there are plenty of cabs that hang there so getting back is no problem. Good service on the beach but they don't hover. Can't remember how much the food and drinks are but they are reasonable. No charge to use beach and I assume as long as you order a drink or snack they are ok with that. The picture in my signature was taken from Palancar. We are going back again this June.

maldenmusic thank you so much for this information! And that picture is that paradise that I'm looking for! :D I have another question if you don't mind! Have you ever paid the additional to go snorkling on the reef? Is it worth it? It is reassuring to hear you go here all the time and will be going back, that means it is that wonderful! I've only ever been to Cozumel one other time and we went to Mr. Sancho's AI but I wanted more of a paradise looking beach with no(or not very much) water toys and still with pay as you go options to just relax at.

maldenmusic thank you so much for this information! And that picture is that paradise that I'm looking for! :D I have another question if you don't mind! Have you ever paid the additional to go snorkling on the reef? Is it worth it? It is reassuring to hear you go here all the time and will be going back, that means it is that wonderful! I've only ever been to Cozumel one other time and we went to Mr. Sancho's AI but I wanted more of a paradise looking beach with no(or not very much) water toys and still with pay as you go options to just relax at.

Nope, never done the snorkeling...we are usually content to just lay on the loungers or in the water. This has always been a great experience for us. If you will type in Playa Palancar in the Cruise Critic search window you can probably find more info-I know I've posted lots of pics there in the past.

And be sure and take water shoes. The water's edge at Palancar often has lots of conch shells. I've found quite a few nice ones that I've brought home with me.

DO THE SNORKELING!!!

Cozumel is known for it's AMAZING snorkeling, however, most people don't know that it's famous because of the Palancar Reef (the 2nd largest reef in the world!!). Most people go to Money Bar or somewhere similar and do the free, off shore snorkeling.

By paying $35 you get a ride out to the reef (you cannot swim out to the Palancar reef), all your snorkeling equipment and a free 30 minute kayak (I think they're glass bottom) ride at the end if you want it. Other places will charge around $15 for snorkeling equipment and force you to buy at least one menu item anyway, so pricing works out well.

Playa Palancar is also never busy, because it's the furthest beach club from the cruise ports on the West side.

I hope you have a great time!

Good advice all around. We did Palancar several years back with 7 ships in port. We arrived early, picked out a good spot and spent the whole day. The place filled up about 10:00 and then everybody bailed about 2:00. The service, food and drinks were good and the boat trip to the reef was a bargain. I think that we paid $35@ and had only 8 people on the boat. The shore snorkeling is not much. Too, much sand. Like Maldenmusic said, take water shoes, but I believe that this is in the Marine Park and taking shells is prohibited.

We went there in January and loved it! There are a lot of shells to walk over into the water so if you have sensitive feet wear water shoes. If you are a shell collector it is great. My kids 7 & 4 collected probably 100 shells---nice ones and were so sad when they could not bring them all home :)

I don't remember the price of the drinks but I want to say lunch, I had the beef tacos was only $7-8 and delicious!

We got off the ship at about 9:30 and arrived there around 10am, we had the beach almost to ourselves for quite awhile but after about noon it did get more crowed but nothing terrible.

We snorkeled right off the beach, the water is a little murky right near shore but if you head out toward the buoys it is clear and there are lots of different fish if you find the right spots. If you aren't finding anything, keep going...they are there, just no reef but we still really enjoyed it.

A truly wonderful way to spend the day (and pretty cheap too!)

Thank you so much for all the information! You guys have pretty much made up my mind on this place. And I don't think I can pass up snorkling the 2nd most famous reef! :D Do you know how deep the water where they take you to snorkle is? A couple of people in my group aren't the best swimmers. And do we just tell them when we are ready that we want to go to the reef or do they take you out on a schedule?

Thank you so much for all the information! You guys have pretty much made up my mind on this place. And I don't think I can pass up snorkling the 2nd most famous reef! :D Do you know how deep the water where they take you to snorkle is? A couple of people in my group aren't the best swimmers. And do we just tell them when we are ready that we want to go to the reef or do they take you out on a schedule?

If memory serves, the water is shallow for a good distance from shore. They had a schedule for the boat trip when we were there. Oh, I almost forgot, you need to try the shrimp fajitas.;)

Thanks clackey! We are planning to eat somewhere local, but when we need snacks I will make sure and try them!

Pacificmountain2012 so I'm guessing if it's deep water, for safety, there are life jackets? I am so excited to see sea life in its natural habitat. It would be so amazing to see a sea turtle! In other reviews, I heard people say they saw sharks, but I'm assuming those are on more of a dive trip then a snorkel trip.

If memory serves, the water is shallow for a good distance from shore. They had a schedule for the boat trip when we were there. Oh, I almost forgot, you need to try the shrimp fajitas.;)

Yes they are good....so are the fish tacos....and the mango margaritas :D

32271_396727254634_606454634_4266078_7808518_n.jpg.f516433edb4c09ec7ee538dea6368d9b.jpg

207919_10150160145554635_606454634_6842711_6649035_n.jpg.cf1d03d6f9294c55c890a574b6821563.jpg

1696249233_palancar2.jpg.f30c62d4def4394fa373b0b41b0a0f33.jpg

palancar.jpg.2ecef006ef7cbb4adc078c0f92378bd3.jpg

Thanks clackey! We are planning to eat somewhere local, but when we need snacks I will make sure and try them!

Pacificmountain2012 so I'm guessing if it's deep water, for safety, there are life jackets? I am so excited to see sea life in its natural habitat. It would be so amazing to see a sea turtle! In other reviews, I heard people say they saw sharks, but I'm assuming those are on more of a dive trip then a snorkel trip.

You might see a shark on the boat trip but we have been on 15 cruises and snorkel any time we can. Never saw a shark or a turtle. Even snorkel at Akumal and no turtles.

• 7 months later...

I just recently went to Playa Palancar and I know that when I was trying to decide whether or not to go to this beach the people who posted on this thread were very helpful. Everything I was told about the beautiful sand and perfectly teal water and even how empty it is compared to other more popular beaches was true. We made such a good decision going to this beach. My only complaint of the day was that because it had rained a lot before we got there, there was a lot of seaweed, but even that didn't ruin the day. The drinks were delicious, the water was perfect and at the most crowed point of the day there still wasn't that many people here. They have all kinds of things you could do from massages to jet skis and kayaks to snorkeling and of course food and drinks. We didn't indulge in any of the food because we wanted to eat somewhere local after our time at the beach but it all looked and smelled delicious. If we didn't have plans to eat we definitely would have ordered. I know when I was looking into this beach I could not find the menu anywhere, and I wanted to share it here just in case someone else was looking for it too. Thanks to everyone who advised me to go here. You were all right!! :)

DSC00371_zpsg7yod0gc.jpg

DSC00370_zpsnjqmrkb9.jpg

Good advice all around. We did Palancar several years back with 7 ships in port. We arrived early, picked out a good spot and spent the whole day. The place filled up about 10:00 and then everybody bailed about 2:00. The service, food and drinks were good and the boat trip to the reef was a bargain. I think that we paid $35@ and had only 8 people on the boat. The shore snorkeling is not much. Too, much sand. Like Maldenmusic said, take water shoes, but I believe that this is in the Marine Park and taking shells is prohibited.

How did you book the reef snorkeling boat trip? Do they have a stand there? What time did it go out?

We would love to go out and snorkel Palancar reef. We are both divers and have done that reef dozens of times -- absolutely spectacular! It would be cool to snorkel it this trip.

How did you book the reef snorkeling boat trip? Do they have a stand there? What time did it go out?

We would love to go out and snorkel Palancar reef. We are both divers and have done that reef dozens of times -- absolutely spectacular! It would be cool to snorkel it this trip.

I can't answer this question exactly because I didn't actually do the trip, but I did watch people that were getting all their gear on and then head to the boat that takes you out there. I think you sign up for it where you can sign up for all the other water activites. And they have a schedule for when they go out to the reef. I hear its beautiful and a must do, but my group was enjoying just relaxing when we went and time got away from us so we never got a chance to go.

We have enjoyed visiting Palancar several times although we haven't eaten there yet.

Here is their website which may help with further details and contact for further information.

http://www.buceopalancar.com/index_en.html

Edited by c-leg5

We asked a waiter as soon as we arrived and he showed us where to book it. They took us out about 10:30 but if there are more people booked they may make 2 or 3 trips. I think that they took another tour out that afternoon.

We asked a waiter as soon as we arrived and he showed us where to book it. They took us out about 10:30 but if there are more people booked they may make 2 or 3 trips. I think that they took another tour out that afternoon.

awesome, thanks!

It looks absolutely beautiful.

Is there shade too? I burn easily...:o

Here are a couple of videos from 2012. We have always sat under the shade of a palapa as we have only stayed an hour or so. It looks as though there aren't many loungers under shade but there is usually plenty of space and I would think you could move from one to the other quite easily, or pull a lounger under shade. There appear to be some day beds but I don't remember seeing them but then I guess I wasn't looking for them either!

We have enjoyed visiting Palancar several times although we haven't eaten there yet.

Here is their website which may help with further details and contact for further information.

http://www.buceopalancar.com/index_en.html

Thanks so much for posting this! :D We'll be in Cozumel, via Emerald Princess, on Nov 14. I'm having a heck of a time booking a boat snorkeling trip that's not on a giant party boat. This looks like a good alternative and an excellent snorkeling site. I've never been to Cozumel, but I love to snorkel. I just sent them an email asking for specific info. Hopefully, they'll answer the email. Looks like you just go and sign up for a boat there, after 9am.

I didn't see any pricing, but I'll look again.

How do you get there from the ship?