Harbor House changed to Hotel Galvez

misty57

We had a prepaid reservation for Harbor House and with talk on our roll call about the HH being closed for renovations I called to make sure our reservation still stood. I received a call from Hotel Galvez saying that we have been " upgraded" to the Galvez. They are also giving us tickets to the Mardi Gras entertainment on the Strand for the evening. It sounds ok, but I'm wondering if this is truly an improvement. What are other cruiser's opinion of the Galvez?

We had a prepaid reservation for Harbor House and with talk on our roll call about the HH being closed for renovations I called to make sure our reservation still stood. I received a call from Hotel Galvez saying that we have been " upgraded" to the Galvez. They are also giving us tickets to the Mardi Gras entertainment on the Strand for the evening. It sounds ok, but I'm wondering if this is truly an improvement. What are other cruiser's opinion of the Galvez?

-----------------//--------

[/yes !

Besides the Renovation isn't complete.

Your good attitude toward the adventure will make the difference.

Besides the beach, Seawall and Mardi Gras and other things are worth it.

Mardi Gras parades are on Seawall to downtown all weekend.

Enjoy you stay .

If you have questions ask

We live here!

Edited by ssb

-----------------//--------

[/yes !

Your good attitude toward the adventure will make the difference.

Besides the beach, Seawall and Mardi Gras and other things are worth it.

Mardi Gras parades are on Seawall to downtown all weekend.

Enjoy you stay .

If you have questions ask

We live here!

Thanks! We will be arriving mid afternoon. Where would be the best place to have dinner? The lobby and restaurant at the hotel are closed for a private party.

Thanks! We will be arriving mid afternoon. Where would be the best place to have dinner? The lobby and restaurant at the hotel are closed for a private party.

Depends on what type of dinner you want and how much you are willing to pay.

I can personally recommend Gaido's and Rudy & Paco. Gaido's (Seafood) is on Seawall Drive as is Hotel Galvez (but it is a hike...like 18 blocks). Rudy & Paco is on Post Office (not a long drive...not far from the port) and features Latin American cuisine. Both fall into the $$$ range ($ being the cheapest...$$$$ being the most expensive). The Gumbo Bar is EXCELLENT. It features Cajun/Creole Seafood and is in the $$ range. It is also on Post Office, accross the street from Rudy & Paco.

We stayed at the Galvez pre cruise in 2012, loved it. It is within walking distance to the Pleasure Pier which was fun.

Also, if you are driving and doing their shuttle to the port, we found that very handy. When they picked us up at the ship, they asked us all for our valet parking receipt #s. When we arrived at the Galvez all of our cars were already pulled up front. They even had several people waiting there to help move the luggage from the shuttle into our cars. First time we have experience that extra touch. It was all done so quickly and efficiently, that we were on our way home quickly.

!

The renovation isnt done:eek:

Im thinking that maybe a few people(5) walked thru the HH a couple weeks ago during this remodel and saw what was left to do

Maybe 2 of those were positive it would be done on time:o

To the OP while the HH is my favorite hotel for precruise hotel

The Galvez is a classy hotel with great architecture

Edited by jonbgd

Don't know when HH will re-open.

Furniture delivery delayed due to storms in northeast.

Renovations are mostly complete (saw them last week), but contractors are still working at the hotel (today).

The Galvez is beautiful. Not that HH is not, but it more basic though the upgrades look very nice.

Miller's Landing is a block from the hotel on Seawall. Good, basic food at reasonable prices.