Tipping

kitty52

All of this talk about salaries and tipping is overblown! When I started working as a soda jerk back in 1954 at the age of 11, I made a grand total of $0.25 / hr. and was working 30 hours a week during the school year. I had more money that I could spend! :D

Now I am a retire Industrial Engineer and living quite well, from what I can see. Well guess what? I tip because I always have and always will! My back isn't what it used to be and besides, I am lazy! If you don't want to tip then don't!!

As for me, like my wife says, "I am spoiled and I will continue to tip!" :rolleyes:

PS...I can remember the very first tip I received back in 1954. It was a nickel from 4 ladies who had ordered 4 nickel cokes. They paid with a quarter and said...Keep the change! I was so surprised that I couldn't believe that I had gotten a tip for doing what I was being paid for. :eek:

Its all the unwritten rules of who to tip and who not to tip. If this is the case should we tip the check in agent so we can get on the ship, the captain so he does not sail to close to an island, the chef so he doesnt give us food poisoning. How about the porter so he doesnt trash our luggage, oh wait, we have to do that already. Very corrupt sytem they have going there.

Or , how about the nurse who goes above her line of duty for you, or the stewardess?....we could go on and on.

At the pier, I tip extra out of fear.

Yay, another tipping thread!

I'm with you. it's get boring.

The best Tip I ever got, don't Tip out of fear.

Theo

At least it's not about stiffing the steward or the servers.

I'm with you. it's get boring.

The best Tip I ever got, don't Tip out of fear.

Theo

To me it's a personal choice whether or not to tip. I worked in the service industry in college where tipping was the norm and worked quite hard for my money.

I would never not tip a porter/stevedore on my cruise. They are doing something for me that I would rather not do. Same with the skycap at the airport, helps me bypass the checkin line and gets my bags off my hands quickly. I am often traveling with my two younger kids, so if it's one less thing for me to worry about I'm more than willing to slip them some $$.

Bottom line is if you don't want to tip, don't do it. I've yet to have someone intimidate me for a tip, they wouldn't get one if they did (and I'm a bit of an intimidating looking guy too)