For those that have done the NCL 3-days in Bermuda

Redbarnphotog

I am considering this cruise in October. Specifically because it stays overnight in Bermuda.

I am a professional photographer and wanted to something extra special for my daughters senior portraits. She wants Beach photos. This is difficult because it has to be perfect lighting. The best light of the day is 1-1.5hrs before sunset.

Here are my questions:

Which beach would be the least busy?

I assume the beaches would be less busy toward the evening, right? And in the fall when the weather is cooler?

I cannot find the public transportation schedule. I would love to rent scooters, but I will be hauling equipment and several clothing options, so it's not ideal. Will it be easy to get a bus/ferry back to the ship after dark?

Besides the beach, any other picturesque locations you recommend? I would love some portraits in caves/grottos and other interesting natural features.

Are you permitted to leave and return to the ship whenever you wish, or is there a curfew of sorts?

I'm sure I will have more questions, but this is a start. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think you should visit the beaches along the South Shore...Horseshoe Bay, Warwick Long Bay, Chaplin Bay, Jobson's Cove (there's a trail that allows you to walk from Horseshoe Bay on one end to Warwick Long Bay on the other) before going to do your photo shoot to see which one best fits what you are looking for. Horseshoe Bay is the most crowded of the four, bur yes, the beaches will be much less crowded in early evening and in the cooler October weather (although it was quite warm in the first week of this past October when we were last there). I'd also suggest you Google the names of the beaches I mentioned above so you'll be able to see images of them that may give you an idea of where you want to shoot. There are also Youtube videos of many of the beaches.

If you're going to be carrying a lot of equipment and clothing changes it's probably not a good idea to take the bus (they may not even let you take the bus if you have a substantial amount of equipment...for example you're not allowed to bring golf clubs on the bus). I'd recommend taking a taxi...and since you're going to be returning in the early evening you may want to arrange in advance to have a taxi pick you up at a certain time and pre-set location because there may not be taxis waiting at the beaches for fares in the evening.

Here's a link to the bus schedule:

http://www.gov.bm/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_18606_252_993_43/http%3B/ptpublisher.gov.bm%3B7087/publishedcontent/publish/ministry_of_tourism_and_transport/public_transportation_board/bus_schedules/bus_schedule11.pdf

The #7 Hamilton-Dockyard route serves the South Shore beaches. Buses run much less frequently after about 5:30 pm.

There is no ferry service to the beaches.

You can get on and off the ship 24 hours a day while it's in port.

Edited by njhorseman

about the buses:

• While one service goes to the airport, it does not take passengers with luggage from or to the airport. It is not well understood by tourists that Bermuda buses do not take passengers with any luggage or suit cases or baby strollers or prams or golf clubs. Bags larger than flight attendant bags will not be accepted. Yet tourists often try to bring them, spoiling things for other passengers. Among other things, they make it difficult or dangerous for feeble or elderly people to negotiate when getting on or off, especially when the bus may be full. Umbrella strollers only are allowed. All bags must go under the seat or on your lap.
  • They don't have overhead racks or underbelly luggage compartments.
  • Bus schedule

Some bus routes (but not all) have service until 9PM.

There are no curfews while in port.

Another photographer recently posted and asked for suggestions. The thread is titled - Offbeat Bermuda Question.

May be you should consider hiring a taxi, but it will be expensive.

There are a lot of nice beaches that never get crowded. One that does is Horseshoe Bay.

SBtS

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

In order to take advantage of the blue hour, I think the orientation of the beach would be my first priority.

Do you want sunset in front of you or in the back for your shoot ?

The ship is basically a floating hotel, so you can come and go whenever !

I did some night photography while we were in Nassau last November and we had no problem getting off of the ship or coming back with the equipment.

Did not get any good picture...the winds were crazy and long exposure was out of the question.

• 2 weeks later...

We took the bus to Horseshoe Bay which yes was very crowded but we kept walking along the beach until we came to a cove with no people and it was very pretty.

WE then walked up a path that took us to a park and then were able to caught the bus

We also did the Day Pass at Coco Reef and we were practically the only ones there the entire time! Great views here also

The Fort at the Dock Yards was very nice with great views

Several Light Houses and bright cheery house and churches all along the bus routes

I heard there is also an old train track system that has been turned into a walking path, we did not go

Then there is Glass Beach for something really different and right next to it was a small public beach not in use

Yes you can return to the ship anytime of the day and night as many times as you want

Have fun