Kinda embarrassing question about drinking

carmel

I'm not a huge drinker. I've had two surgeries on my stomach that has made drinking alcohol hit or miss. Sometimes it doesn't bother me but sometimes it makes me sick.

Anyway, there are days on the ship where I think I would enjoy drinking a drink or splitting one with my DH (who is also not a big drinker). The problem is, I'm a dummy when asking for a drink.

What comes to mind is this. I would walk up to the bar and say, 'Uh, I'm in the mood for a drink but I have no idea what I want. Nothing too sweet, I like tequila not rum, I love lime and sour mix, I don't like bubbles......'

Would the bartender look at me like a fool? Do you think they would take kindly to a person who can't just walk up and order a drink by name? Depending on how my stomach is acting that day and what I've already eaten will determine what I want. Make sense?

Thanks - LOL, I realize there are bigger problems in the world that not knowing how to order a drink.

Does the ship that you are cruising on have an Alchemy Bar? We had great mixologists on the Liberty and most of the drinks were ordered in a similar fashion to the way you describe. Tell them what you do/don't want and they will come up with some very nice concoctions for you.

I can't even remember how many times I have walked up to a bar (not necessarily on a ship) and asked the bartender for "something fruity with rum" or "something fruity with vodka" I don't think I have ever gotten a funny look, just sometimes a question about what kind of juice or whatnot.

Also, they do have some drink menus. Drink menus never have EVERY drink they can make, but it's a good starting place if you don't have names of drinks you would like. The drink menu will list what types of alcohols and mixers are included, and you can get a pretty good idea of what ones you would like from reading the ingredients.

~Katy

I do that all the time in bars on land :) I think most bartenders (if they aren't super busy) like the opportunity to be creative and show off a bit. I've gotten THE best drinks that way. Usually the envy of my friends "Oooh, that's that?" "I have no idea, but it's delicious!"

In my land based experience, it's also a quick path to a free drink ;)

I'm not a huge drinker. I've had two surgeries on my stomach that has made drinking alcohol hit or miss. Sometimes it doesn't bother me but sometimes it makes me sick.

Anyway, there are days on the ship where I think I would enjoy drinking a drink or splitting one with my DH (who is also not a big drinker). The problem is, I'm a dummy when asking for a drink.

What comes to mind is this. I would walk up to the bar and say, 'Uh, I'm in the mood for a drink but I have no idea what I want. Nothing too sweet, I like tequila not rum, I love lime and sour mix, I don't like bubbles......'

Would the bartender look at me like a fool? Do you think they would take kindly to a person who can't just walk up and order a drink by name? Depending on how my stomach is acting that day and what I've already eaten will determine what I want. Make sense?

Thanks - LOL, I realize there are bigger problems in the world that not knowing how to order a drink.

There are usually drink "brochures" out on the bar and surrounding tables (indoors). They have drink suggestions and explain what is in the drink. You might find that helpful. Here are some examples:

http://www.zydecocruiser.net/Carnival-Bar-Menu/CarnivalCruiseBarMenu.htm

http://www.carnival.com/onboard/bars-lounges/alchemy-bar.aspx

(click the PDF document link)

Most of Carnival's bartenders are really helpful and kind. As long as they are not extremely busy, I'll bet they would be happy to make some suggestions too.

I have found when you ask the bartenders to make something special and tell them what you like it actually makes their day. It allows them to be creative instead of making hundreds of the same cookie cutter drinks. JMO...

I also ask them what they drink because if they drink it, they know how to make it right.

Not much of a silly question.

Alchemy Bar on the Sunshine is great. I get bored with some of the drinks and I say just make me something with....

And if you have an awesome bartender or mixoligist, they will even add more of something if you like after you taste it. (So dont be afraid to say hey its not stong enough or not tastey enough.)

Edited by Aeeo

I used to bartend, and Yes we love getting asked advice on what is good, we can make our favorite drinks (that have our own little flair), or try out something we heard about but have yet to try ourselves. Its a lot of fun and offers us a chance to get to interact a bit more with our customers (and if we do a good job gets us an extra tip :) lol) and that is how my brother got a free birthday drink, asked the bartender for something (sweet that didn't taste like alcohol). Plus the bartender knows exactly what they have at their disposal, so sometimes they can make you something you had no idea they could, because you didn't see the bottle of frangelico or cherry juice under the bar.

don't feel silly. they are really nice and helpful. maybe a mojito? those are yummy!!

OHHHH Mojito's!! My favorite !! And they make those fabulous on the cruise!!!

Oh yeah I'll be having one of those in 60 more days!!

Does the ship that you are cruising on have an Alchemy Bar? We had great mixologists on the Liberty and most of the drinks were ordered in a similar fashion to the way you describe. Tell them what you do/don't want and they will come up with some very nice concoctions for you.

That's my suggestion as well.

I do this as well...but I'm the opposite...something fruity, not tequilla hate margaritas etc.

I've never had a problem with a bartender not willing to help out.

I do that all the time in bars on land :) I think most bartenders (if they aren't super busy) like the opportunity to be creative and show off a bit. I've gotten THE best drinks that way. Usually the envy of my friends "Oooh, that's that?" "I have no idea, but it's delicious!"

Exactly what I was thinking. I would not be shy at all about chatting with the bartender and then letting him/her create something delicious for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk