Do rental car companies offer shuttles to port?

bre

So I am new to the whole car rental thing and am finding conflicting info. So I was wondering if someone could help me out. Do rental car companies, who have locations close to the ports, usually offer a shuttle service? And if so is it free? I am specifically looking at Dollar rental who has a drop off location, just outside of Port Everglades. Anyone have experience with this? And if so do you think it is easier for the hubster to drop me and the kiddies off at the port and go and return the car and shuttle over by himself? Or would it be easier for us all just to stay together and all 6 of us shuttle over?

If you rent from Alamo at ft Lauderdale airport, you just drop the car off, then go up one level (get directions from Alamo), then show the port shuttle bus your receipt and get free transport to your ship. I personally think it would be easier for you all to do this at the same time but I am a Grandma so in a different situation. I think it would be more exciting to experience it together. :)

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

We rented from dollar and cruised from port canaveral. They offered a great service, dropped the car at their rental and the minibus was ready to take us the few minutes journey to the cruise ship. We stayed together as a family rather than my husband drop us at the cruise terminal. My son left his blackberry in the minibus and they kept it for us until our return. Great service:)

So I am new to the whole car rental thing and am finding conflicting info. So I was wondering if someone could help me out. Do rental car companies, who have locations close to the ports, usually offer a shuttle service? And if so is it free? I am specifically looking at Dollar rental who has a drop off location, just outside of Port Everglades. Anyone have experience with this? And if so do you think it is easier for the hubster to drop me and the kiddies off at the port and go and return the car and shuttle over by himself? Or would it be easier for us all just to stay together and all 6 of us shuttle over?

I would call the Dollar location you want to use, and ask them directly. I know over the last couple years many of the rental car companies have changed their policy. Just because they may have had a shuttle last month doesn't mean they will have it when you go. By calling them yourself, you will get the proper information.

I and my family of 6 have used (a few times) the Dollar/Thrifty rental location right outside the Port Everglades (why are some of you talking about Port Canaveral :confused:) gate.....

Yes they have a comp shuttle that will take you right to your ship terminal. Since they are so close they make many trips in/out and we have never had to wait..at times we have been the only ones on their shuttle.

I would recommend that you all take that shuttle together...Absolutely no reason to make that trip with the amount of traffic that there will be to drop them off first.''

Enjoy your cruise !!

Edited by Ashland

Hi there

Here is the reply I got from Dollar when I emailed them.

"For our Port Everglades location:

PICK UP INSTRUCTIONS:

Customer will be shuttled to and from the rental location to the Port of Everglades. The shuttle bus runs when the ships dock. The rental location is less than a mile from Port Everglades. Customers arriving into the port and taking a Dollar shuttle to the rental location will be charged a Port Recovery Fee of $3.95 per rental. Shuttle service is not provided to or from the airport."

This also applies with Thrifty, as they share this location with Dollar. I booked our rental car for pick-up at the airport and then drop off at the Port Everglades location. I am thinking of doing the same for the return from our cruise. I would just tell you to book on their website and click on "City Deals" on the results page. Doing this will provide you with an even better rate.

• 1 month later...

A month later, but catching this thread now since I am investigating rentals for my summer cruise out of Port Everglades.

It sounds like the closest rental centers are less than a mile from the port proper... if so, it would be possible to walk instead of taking a shuttle, right? Or is there some impediment (aside from potentially heavy baggage, obviously) that would make that not feasible?

Edited by QueenDido

A month later, but catching this thread now since I am investigating rentals for my summer cruise out of Port Everglades.

It sounds like the closest rental centers are less than a mile from the port proper... if so, it would be possible to walk instead of taking a shuttle, right? Or is there some impediment (aside from potentially heavy baggage, obviously) that would make that not feasible?

Port Everglades is not pedestrian friendly. Industrial type area and a potentially long walk from the port entrance to your ship.

I would not do it. Don't really remember that it was very walker friendly. The Thrifty/Dollar location just outside of the part does however offer a free shuttle. Alamo also offers a fee shuttle to their airport location. In addition both Hertz and Budget offer free shuttle to off airport locations.

We rented a car from Dollar and dropped it off at the port pre cruise last Jan.

We dropped the car off at about 11:00 AM, an honestly the location was a zoo. Lots of people just getting off the ships were waiting to rent a car and that made the fairly small location very crowded with lots of people just standing around and tons of bags piled up everywhere.

Depending on how many people you have in your party, number of luggage items you have, and when you plan to get to the port, I would plan accordingly.

We had six people (two adults, two kids, and two seniors). Luckly, I had made a trip to the ship by myself at about 10:00AM and dropped all of the bags. That way, when we returned the car, we didnt have all of the luggage to try and get onto the shuttle etc. As it was, we were able to get right on the shuttle since we didn't have any bags other than our carry on items. If we had all the luggage, I suspect we would have had to wait a few cycles of the shuttle bus.

I would guess that if you plan to arrive at the port later in the afternoon, it will be less chaotic since most people getting off the ships have had a chance to rent cars.

The 10:00 AM run to the ship actually worked pretty well for me. Most of the people are off the ship by then, and the new waive has not yet arrived. I drove right up and dropped the bags, just had to wait for a few traffic lights.

I hope that helps.

I would also not suggest you try and walk to the ship. As stated above it is a very industrial area, there may have been sidewalks in a few places, but deffinitley not all the way to the piers. You also have to go through a security checkpoint..not sure how they would react to a few people walking up on them... :)

Edited by mdjohn5

Last time we sailed out of Fort Lauderdale we got lucky the person checking us in just hopped in the car and drove us to the port in the rental.

Not exactly sure why, but who were we to say NO!

He must have been having a good day.