In The News Again

janetz

Do people actually do thAt? I'm going on my first cruise in April, need to prepare myself for that!!

Yeah, no biggie. Might actually provide some entertainment! ;):)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Viggy - You may need to prepare more for some of the one's who 'aren't' wearing a robe. You'll wish they were.

Those provide the real entertainment, though it may not be good entertainment. :eek:

Not sure I like the line... "The contract ticket makes no express guarantee for safe passage, a seaworthy vessel, adequate and wholesome food, and sanitary and safe living conditions" :(

When guests click ok they agree to it, and you are agreeing to a legal document I think Carnival's lawyers covered their bases on this one.

I wouldn't belive this case had any chance. Except for the fact that the Judge, and how he is allound to be the bench is another question. Is currently facing charges himeself before the judical review boards for misconduct. Inculdidng at least one case where he ruled oppisate to a then recent ruilng by the the U.S.S.C. cause he didn't agree withe thier ruling.

I wouldn't belive this case had any chance. Except for the fact that the Judge, and how he is allound to be the bench is another question. Is currently facing charges himeself before the judical review boards for misconduct. Inculdidng at least one case where he ruled oppisate to a then recent ruilng by the the U.S.S.C. cause he didn't agree withe thier ruling.

Federal judges are appointed for life, and in the absence of any misconduct, they will remain on the bench and hear cases. District Court judges, if they make mistakes of law, will be overruled on appeal by the Circuit Court of Appeals, and possible the US Supreme Court. Their opinions are subject to judicial review, including the rulings made in this case.

Hate sites notwithstanding, I've seen absolutely nothing on line or in the media that would indicate the learned judge has committed an impeachable offense. Quite the opposite, actually.

I have not read the judge's opinion on the pretrial motions, which are briefly discussed in the CNN article. I disagree with the judge's ruling applying res ipsa loquitor to this matter.

I believe you have a very poor grasp of American jurisprudence if you do not understand why the case has been allowed to proceed. Having ruled that Carnival was negligent as a matter of law in allowing the engine fire to occur, the court must now allow the plaintiffs to establish whether they sustained compensable harm arising from such negligence. His Honor won't make that decision himself, it will be decided by the jury.

When guests click ok they agree to it, and you are agreeing to a legal document I think Carnival's lawyers covered their bases on this one.

Honestly, I don't know that I agree with the court's ruling. I don't recall the exact language of the contract -- yes, I read the contract in its entirety before my last cruise -- but I think it's implied that when you purchase passage on a cruise ship, reasonable levels of passenger safety are assumed to be part of the bargain.

Just heard this on our news. What a joke!!! That some people have experienced symptoms of PTSD is a complete joke. Move on people

I have no doubt the people aboard the ship had a miserable, uncomfortable time. I think anger, rather than distress, is driving these suits.

I have no doubt the people aboard the ship had a miserable, uncomfortable time. I think anger, rather than distress, is driving these suits.

Yeah I'm sure you're right. I had a client on that Triumph cruise and they have cruised 4 times since then....all with Carnival. No PTSD issues for them ;-)

. I think anger, rather than distress, is driving these suits.

and a little greed as well?? This is about $$$.

I imagine this cruise was a nightmare....thoughts of malfunctioning bathrooms are something that causes me to shudder, but lawsuits like this are about people totally taking advantage of a situation.

The issue CCL is going to have with this IS that they were aware of the problem that caused this fire before the ship set sail. This one thing is going to be what does them in.

These suits against CCL (this one, the jumper woman etc) are going to likely change cruising in some shape or form...one way for sure: in fares for those of us who understand cruising and do it often.

When things like this happen, what I imagine are lawyers and media drooling like rabid dogs, racing to the scene.

We've become so sue happy that it's insane.

I am sure greed comes into play.

But if greed were the only motivating factor this matter would probably have settled out of court. Going to trial is not fun, pretty or glamorous. Some need, other than money, is motivating this.

Call it anything you like, but its the only way you will get these cost cutting companies to put more $$ into passenger safety.

That's US folks.

Why some are happy in the reveal that Carnival knew about these failures before the ship set sail, and then it actually FAILING inspection after it was fixed, so severe that the Coast Guard would not let it sail, should raise the red flag of those takiung the side of the business, and NOT that SAFETY of the passenger.

Edited by Pine Bluff

Do people actually do thAt? I'm going on my first cruise in April, need to prepare myself for that!!

Not only that, you will see people all over the ship in their

Bathrobes. On a Transatlantic cruise a lady came to afternoon

Tea in her bathrobe. Not exactly a place I would think "oh, let

Me get my bathrobe for afternoon tea" :eek:

You'd have a better argument if this were a current story rather than a resurrection of a year old incident.

The problem with that logic is the strory about that customer giving testimony is court is current.

Another story in the news is the coward captain of the Concordia went onbboard the Concordia yesterday. Is that old news as well?

Who got injured and how much is it worth?

Looks like the lawyers pocket book will be lined and not those suing. Also, this is one reason why I would never get an inside cabin or even an ocean view room. At least with a balcony you have a place to go to get some fresh air.

The problem with that logic is the strory about that customer giving testimony is court is current.

Someone testified in court? You realize that happens nearly every day, right?

A verdict / jury decision / dismissal is news. A plaintiff telling their story is not. Sorry.

Someone testified in court? You realize that happens nearly every day, right?

A verdict / jury decision / dismissal is news. A plaintiff telling their story is not. Sorry.

You must have missed the Geoarge Zimmerman, Casey Anthony, OJ simpson procedings. They didn't just wait till the end.

Or this week, the DUI Kennedy case, or Bridgegate, where there's not even a trial going on.

News comes in every shape or form, all designed to catch the attention of someone for ratings and advertising dollars.

News comes in every shape or form, all designed to catch the attention of someone for ratings and advertising dollars.

You seem to have a low standard for what you consider "news". The pablum many media outlets fill each day with isn't typically worth bothering with.

Yes, I "missed" (i.e. I largely ignored) the media circuses surrounding Zimmerman, Anthony, Simpson, etc. There are typically more impactful things going on in the world.

Another story in the news is the coward captain of the Concordia went onbboard the Concordia yesterday. Is that old news as well?

I didn't see it on the news, but I read the story on line. It cracked me up that he wasn't allowed to touch anything! I don't even know why he was there except to speak out and say that the stories were all lies.:rolleyes: