QM2 July 4th

rdadams

For anyone who has been on this cruise before...Is there a good view of fireworks from the ship in Boston Harbor? If not, are there excursions that can take you to see the 4th of July fireworks? Is there an excursion that can take you to see the Boston Pops 4th of July?

Thanks for your input for those who have been on this cruise before.

My husband and I took this cruise several times, most recently last July. The ship is docked some distance from the fireworks, so the full effect is not possible from the ship. However, there is a very festive atmosphere on the top decks as passengers gather to view the fireworks. Last year, we watched nearby fireworks from our balcony. If you're interested in maritime history, the USS Constitution passed QM2 within easy viewing distance from the ship in the early afternoon (even Commodore Rynd came to the deck to watch the impressive flotilla).

Fellow passengers who have gone ashore to watch the fireworks in the past mentioned problems with heavy traffic, slowed down by (understandable) heavy security. Sorry, I don't know what excursions will be offered this year.

Every time we've been in Boston on July 4th, it's been blistering hot, and more often than not it seems Halifax is foggy with light showers. Nevertheless, Halifax is one of my favorite ports. This voyage also provides an opportunity for the crew to do maintenance on the exterior of the ship, such as scraping and painting railings etc. which can be problematic with those sensitive to paint fumes - the simple solution is just to avoid areas being worked on. As has been mentioned, it is one of the more costly cruises, but it is also one of the few Cunard round-trip cruises from NY (other than trans-Atlantic crossings).

In general, I've found it to be a pleasant, festive voyage with very convivial passengers and crew - a short but sweet getaway. I certainly wouldn't want to discourage anyone from this cruise, but best to go with realistic expectations, in my opinion.

Just to mention that this cruise will not be offered next year, so if you have an interest in taking it, my advice is to do it this year.:) Regards, -S.

Edited by Salacia

Agreed , the fireworks are far off and mostly blocked out by the pier building except for aft.

Boston is very crowded on the 4th but usually special events going on .

Festive atmosphere onboard at sail away and most of the cruise.

Have done this cruise several times but will miss this year and their won't be one in 2015 :(

I did this voyage in 2012. It's a nice short break if time and money won't allow a longer one. Passengers are mostly American so there are no culture clashes and the menus take the preferences into account. It's also a popular voyage and Cunard doesn't have to resort to deep price cuts to fill the ship. The dress code for the one formal night was happily embraced.

We got a crappy berthing location at the Falcon terminal. A number of foreign war ships were in port for the 200th anniversary for the War of 1812. So QM2 was assigned to the back inland end near an abandoned power plant instead of the end toward the harbor. So we were further removed from the fireworks.

Deck 13 was a good viewing place but a thunderstorm drove everyone inside about 10 minutes in. The best protected area was on 7 right in back of her propeller deck.

Boston traffic was horrible and got worse as more streets were closed down as the time approached for the concert on the Esplanade. I would recommend a walking tour for those physically able. We were also late in getting off the ship as the US Immigration required that all "non-US citizens" check in with them. (These would be the same "non-US citizens" that were already allowed into the US just days earlier.) One couple was constantly paged and delayed everyone! Finally US citizens were allowed off.

The main things that went wrong were out of Cunard's control but it was what it was. All in all I enjoyed the voyage but if getting off the ship early is important to you don't count on it.

Departure made interesting viewing for those who admire QM2's agility. She had to back out of a very tight spot and not whack the harbor buoy in the process. Even some crew members came out to their deck to see how she was going to get out of that spot.

I did this voyage in 2012. It's a nice short break if time and money won't allow a longer one. Passengers are mostly American so there are no culture clashes and the menus take the preferences into account. It's also a popular voyage and Cunard doesn't have to resort to deep price cuts to fill the ship. <snippage />

I just got an email from Cunard offering some modest discounts [balcony for $1698] with 'free gratuities'.

I just got an email from Cunard offering some modest discounts [balcony for $1698] with 'free gratuities'.

Just a couple of weeks ago a "Balcony Upgrade" promotion listed a BD guarantee at $1438. Guess the "discount" is in relation to the current going rate. Perhaps more passengers who enjoy this short voyage have learned that it won't be offered in 2015. (At least not on July 4th.)

Edited by BlueRiband

Just a couple of weeks ago a "Balcony Upgrade" promotion listed a BD guarantee at $1438. Guess the "discount" is in relation to the current going rate. Perhaps more passengers who enjoy this short voyage have learned that it won't be offered in 2015. (At least not on July 4th.)

Or perhaps loyal North American Cunard passengers have found better vacation alternatives? Clearly, Cunard has shifted their focus away from the North American market to entice what is perceived as being more lucrative markets. Hence the various short round trip Hamburg cruises and expanded cruises in Australia. Like many businesses, Cunard will go where they believe the money is, and apparently Cunard does not see a profit in maintaining their once loyal passengers in the North American market. I wish Cunard all the best for the future, but over pricing the July 1 cruise due to the scarcity of r/t NY voyages is getting old. -Salacia

Edited by Salacia

Or perhaps loyal North American Cunard passengers have found better vacation alternatives? Clearly, Cunard has shifted their focus away from the North American market to entice what is perceived as being more lucrative markets. Hence the various short round trip Hamburg cruises and expanded cruises in Australia. Like many businesses, Cunard will go where they believe the money is, and apparently Cunard does not see a profit in maintaining their once loyal passengers in the North American market. I wish Cunard all the best for the future, but over pricing the July 1 cruise due to the scarcity of r/t NY voyages is getting old. -Salacia

Salacia, the price quoted by TheOldBear is actually an increase which would suggest that the July 1st voyage remains popular.

Cunard, like any other business, is going to pursue a more profitable customer base. If New York or Southampton passengers keep waiting out deep discounts then the ships will more often be in Hamburg, Australia, or other places where their customers sign on early. In essence it's like a retail store where clothes by designers that can't be sold at full retail price are dropped in favor of those that do.

It will be interesting to see if a 5-day NY-NY voyage at another time does appear with the 2015 schedule comes out.

Salacia, the price quoted by TheOldBear is actually an increase which would suggest that the July 1st voyage remains popular.

Cunard, like any other business, is going to pursue a more profitable customer base. If New York or Southampton passengers keep waiting out deep discounts then the ships will more often be in Hamburg, Australia, or other places where their customers sign on early. In essence it's like a retail store where clothes by designers that can't be sold at full retail price are dropped in favor of those that do.

It will be interesting to see if a 5-day NY-NY voyage at another time does appear with the 2015 schedule comes out.

Hi BlueRiband. The e-mail offer OldBear referred to is for a Cat BC Balcony @$1,698 pp, double occupancy, plus "free gratuities" (a $115 value). You mentioned the previous offer of BD guarantee at $1438. Considering the difference in category and the free gratuities, is it really an increase? Anyway, for those interested in taking this cruise, check with your travel agent - I've seen a few on-line that are offering a nice amount of OBC in addition to the "Royal Upgrade" offers.

Yes, I agree it will be interesting to see if there are any 5-day r/t NY cruises on the 2015 schedule. Here's hoping! -S.