Please sign the petition for Carnival to bring back the reggae/calypso bands

ShanteS

Better would be to have the DJ play a variety of music representative of the ports of call.

I would be in favor of that. I grew up in the Caribbean, and calypso/reggae band is NOT representative of what we listened to. The Caribbean is a vast region composed of many cultures languages, and music styles. Listening to I Shot the Sheriff as you sail away from, say, San Juan is as much of a head scratcher as listening to Sweet Home Alabama as you sail from Seattle.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Also, on my last cruise I felt like there were too many long periods of time without any entertainment on Lido so why not have a live band play during the DJs break?!

How about some breaks with NO music by the pool, where you can actually enjoy the sounds of the ocean, and some peace and quiet? One of the things that I most enjoyed from our last cruise aboard another cruise line was the fact that I could actually enjoy the main pool area with no music blasting all the time. no DJ, no bands, just pure heaven.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not against music ever. I'm just not in favor of constant music all the time without breaks.

How about some breaks with NO music by the pool, where you can actually enjoy the sounds of the ocean, and some peace and quiet? One of the things that I most enjoyed from our last cruise aboard another cruise line was the fact that I could actually enjoy the main pool area with no music blasting all the time. no DJ, no bands, just pure heaven.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not against music ever. I'm just not in favor of constant music all the time without breaks.

Back when there were only 2 pools, when we wnted quiet, we would head to the aft pool on the fantail. When we wanted some music, we went to the main pool. The Spirit class double pool made that choice a bit easier.

The foolish placement of the aft pool on the Destiny/ Conquest class ruined that experience for us. Making the Serenity area on the Sunshine directly across from the jumbotron raised that foolishness to new levels.

For those of us who choose to cruise on Carnival primarily because of its bargain prices, it would be unfair to pay more so that someone else can enjoy a reggae band by the pool deck. If you're willing to pay more for these added forms of entertainment, there are other cruise lines out there that deliver them.

Yes, Tapi you are correct...there are other lines out there that do offer this type of entertainment and I am aware. And while I have plans to eventually try RCI and NCL, I happen to love Carnival and I don't think there's anything wrong with asking them to bring back a form of entertainment that THEY USED to provide. Some of you here have expressed your disgust for the reggae/calypso bands but does that mean that it shouldn't ever be offered for those of us who actually enjoy it??

And we're not stupid enough to believe that the only type of music played in the Caribbean is reggae, calypso, Soca, Salsa etc. However, those types of music originated there so it wouldn't kill you or anyone else to listen to it during embarkation (if Carnival chooses to go that route) and it's not an unreasonable request.

As I have said before, we are NOT asking that they scrap all other onboard entertainment and bombard us with reggae/calypso for the entire duration of a cruise. We're asking that they at least provide it so that those of us who enjoyed it in the past can enjoy it once again. We're not being unreasonable. And I knew I'd get "attacked" and/or "flamed" for posting this here because this board and CC in general can be extremely critical however, I don't care. I can take it because I know I'm not the only one who misses this. If it works and they actually start to bring the bands back that would be freaking awesome, if not at least we tried to do something about it instead of going on and on about it and participating in pointless polls. Just my two cents. :)

Edited by ShanteS

Well, I asked that they bring the live bands back to Lido and you advised me that there are other lines that provide that type of entertainment. Following your thought process I could tell you that you could simply go back to your cabin and enjoy your balcony if you wanted peace and quiet. See?? Kind of pointless huh?? ;) We all have our likes and dislikes and it doesn't make one or the other wrong/ridiculous/or unreasonable. It simply is what it is. You like the quiet breaks on Lido and I like to hear the reggae/calypso bands on Lido. A compromise to include both wouldn't kill us.

Making the Serenity area on the Sunshine directly across from the jumbotron raised that foolishness to new levels.

Amazing how a handful of people that have never stepped foot on the Sunshine continue to give this misconception of the Sunshine's Serenity deck. The Serenity deck is 3 levels. You can go on its 1st deck to catch the action of the lido if you prefer or go on its upper 2 levels to get all the piece and quiet you want. FYI guess what section filled up 1st every morning, the one closest to the lido deck.

Edited by gregg204

Yes, Tapi you are correct...there are other lines out there that do offer this type of entertainment and I am aware. And while I have plans to eventually try RCI and NCL, I happen to love Carnival and I don't think there's anything wrong with asking them to bring back a form of entertainment that THEY USED to provide.

And I knew I'd get "attacked" and/or "flamed" for posting this here because this board and CC in general can be extremely critical however, I don't care.

I truly respect your desire to see the reggae band on the ships. And as you said, it is something that used to be provided. But the reggae bands is one of many things that Carnival has scrapped in favor of maintaining prices low. You would love to see the reggae bands back. I would love to see the Platinum benefits reinstated. Others would love to see old menus back, others would love to see better service in the MDR, others would love to see Captain's cocktail parties the way they used to be, others would love to see better shows at the main theater, etc, etc. Carnival probably gets daily emails from past cruisers who would love to have things the way they used to be.

But until Carnival is unable to fill their ships just by keeping prices low, they will continue their strategy. It's working for them and they are making money from new cruisers who don't even know that there was a reggae band at one point in time, while us, more "experienced" cruisers mourn the demise of what we once loved. We have the choice to accept the changes and Carnival for what it is today, or move on to another cruise line that more closely delivers what we really like.

Please don't take my posts as a personal attack. They are just my opinion and meant as general statements, and in no way meant to flame or attack you.

A compromise to include both wouldn't kill us.

As long as it doesn't cost me more. :) I wonder how many people would actually pay extra if Carnival ever came up with a concept where one pool is "for fee" and included a live band, pool games, etc. Say $49 per day? Who's in?

Back when there were only 2 pools, when we wnted quiet, we would head to the aft pool on the fantail. When we wanted some music, we went to the main pool. The Spirit class double pool made that choice a bit easier.

The foolish placement of the aft pool on the Destiny/ Conquest class ruined that experience for us. Making the Serenity area on the Sunshine directly across from the jumbotron raised that foolishness to new levels.

From your perspective, which I get but don't agree with. I think Serenity on the Sunshine is great! I am a Carnival lover, but quiet non crowded sitting by a pool does really fit the Carnival FUN aspect (as well as most other mega cruiselines) all that well. What they did the aft lido areas (what used to pool) on the Sunshine is one of the best re-so's I have ever seen (IMHO).

Hello fellow cruise addicts! I hope everyone is having a fantastic day and staying warm (for those of us in areas with brutal weather). A fellow cruiser's post in a FB cruisers group got some of us talking about how much we miss hearing the live reggae/calypso bands on Lido deck and it brought to my attention again how many of us miss that live entertainment on Lido and how many of us would prefer it over the awfully loud music the DJ plays (which is also what he plays in the club).

Anyway, I've seen and participated in the polls here about this subject, I've seen people ask John Heald about it, and I've seen plenty of people post about it on other forums and Carnival's FB/Twitter pages and nothing is being done. So, I've decided to create a petition. I figure if they see hundreds (and hopefully eventually thousands) of signatures all in one place they'll have no choice but to make it happen.

Here's the link, please sign it and pass it along to your friends and have them sign it as well:

https://www.change.org/petitions/carnival-cruise-lines-bring-back-the-live-steel-drum-reggae-bands#

Kudos to you! I just signed the petition. It would be nice if they really responded to the petition.

As long as it doesn't cost me more. :) I wonder how many people would actually pay extra if Carnival ever came up with a concept where one pool is "for fee" and included a live band, pool games, etc. Say $49 per day? Who's in?

Leave the pool games at the free pool.

Amazing how a handful of people that have never stepped foot on the Sunshine continue to give this misconception of the Sunshine's Serenity deck. The Serenity deck is 3 levels. You can go on its 1st deck to catch the action of the lido if you prefer or go on its upper 2 levels to get all the piece and quiet you want. FYI guess what section filled up 1st every morning, the one closest to the lido deck.

Yup. Right around the "pool". The savy cruiser knows that's prime real estate. Happens around every pool on the ship.

Even on the old holiday class ships, I never sought solace in the designated topless area, way up top and fore. I want to get as close to the water as possible.

So if I'm at that pool in something called serentity, guess wht it will be I'm expecting?

And BTW, if the constant old rumors about the Freedom being SUNSHINED, and it kept the same name, would all those cruisers who previously sailed Freedom be suddenly be told they didn't sail the Freedom.

Just because Carnival changed the name of the Destiny, all those destiny cruisers have in fact sailed what they call the Sunshine.

Edited by Pine Bluff

Can you let me know when you cruised Sunshine as I was just on the bloggers cruise and spent each sea day there and could not hear anything except the sound of relaxation. Are you speaking from experience or from another area?

I was just on the bloggers cruise and spent each sea day there and could not hear anything except the sound of relaxation.

I wonder what that is that you can hear on the background on this video. :confused:

You can hear DJ music from the main pool on pretty much every video I pulled on YouTube.

http://youtu.be/s6IZ6hvS0N8

Edited by Tapi

I wonder what that is that you can hear on the background...:rolleyes:

http://youtu.be/s6IZ6hvS0N8

I was there last week and all I can tell you is that on deck 14 in my oversized sun bed all I could hear was the sea and my own happiness. sunshine is a great ship , when were you on board her please?

I was there last week and all I can tell you is that on deck 14 in my oversized sun bed all I could hear was the sea and my own happiness. sunshine is a great ship , when were you on board her please?

I'm not doubting that you enjoyed the Serenity Deck on the Sunshine tremendously, tucked on a sun bed all the way forward on deck 14, but you're doing potential future cruisers a disservice by creating false expectations and saying that you can't hear ANYTHING coming from the main pool deck. I haven't been on the Sunshine yet, but I can read and hear, and the noise issue has been mentioned and documented on multiple reviews and videos from other people that have been there.

I'd rather have someone tell me that yes, there are parts of the Serenity deck that can get loud because of its proximity to the main pool deck, but that you can minimize it by escaping to the top part as far away from the main pool, instead of creating this image of absolute nirvana. It's deceiving. I'd rather go knowing what to really expect.

Edited by Tapi

From JH's FB page a few minutes ago:

Yesterday I posted two pieces about live music on Lido deck that received 800 comments between them and were read by over 50,000. The thoughts you posted here on this Facebook page requesting more live “Tropical Music” has now reached Gerry Cahill and all the senior beards who advised me today to request that you “stay tuned.”