Attn Sunbedders!

You will need to be on deck around 7am on sea days for nab a sunbed, port days there is no problem apart from later in the afternoon. Thomson really need to address their lack of sunbeds problem, nowhere near enough for the amount of passengers and not helped on the dream by that stupid great big canopy they have put up, effectively taking out 3 rows of sunbeds and replacing with shade and plastic wicker chairs which rip your clothes...I had a £25 refund off our bill after ruining a pair of trousers and a sarong on little metal staples which stick up in them..,beware!

You will need to be on deck early - if it is a normal 7 day itinerary with just one day at sea then you should be ok up to about 8.00am ish latest - on a crossing cruise (TA) you would be best aiming for 7.30am latest depending on how fussy you are as to where the bed is. By 7.30am it is the what's left situation. Being days at sea most are occupied all the time anyway except for short breaks eg toilet, etc

The loss of sunbeds on Lido due to the canopy has not helped the situation as pointed out earlier.

You will need to be on deck around 7am on sea days for nab a sunbed, port days there is no problem apart from later in the afternoon. Thomson really need to address their lack of sunbeds problem, nowhere near enough for the amount of passengers and not helped on the dream by that stupid great big canopy they have put up, effectively taking out 3 rows of sunbeds and replacing with shade and plastic wicker chairs which rip your clothes...I had a £25 refund off our bill after ruining a pair of trousers and a sarong on little metal staples which stick up in them..,beware!

These chairs are a problem because the cushions are removed during the day making then to low and uncomfortable, At apx Five pm the cushions are put on the seats which then renders them comfortable and the right height. We asked the guys why this happens which makes a lot of work for them they explained they have to take them off as guests sit on them with wet swimwear . If this is such a problem they have the wrong chairs for that area guests should not have to sit on these seats without cushions as they are not designed to be sat on without the cushions in place.

Edited by norfolklad
spelling

When they were first introduced they did have the cushions etc on them all day and on the Celebration I was on the first cruise with this furniture. Sadly people were sitting on them covered in sun oil and sometimes wet and I am sure no one would do that sat at home on such furniture. So the reason given is correct. On that first cruise people were even using the furniture as foot rests etc so that will be why the cushions were removed.

The issue is that during the day different furniture would be more suitable for the area than that provided which is more suitable for dusk/evenings but where to store a spare lot of furniture is one of the obvious issues.

The same issues will apply with the Dream.

These chairs are a problem because the cushions are removed during the day making then to low and uncomfortable, At apx Five pm the cushions are put on the seats which then renders them comfortable and the right height. We asked the guys why this happens which makes a lot of work for them they explained they have to take them off as guests sit on them with wet swimwear . If this is such a problem they have the wrong chairs for that area guests should not have to sit on these seats without cushions as they are not designed to be sat on without the cushions in place.

When we were on the Celebration last year the cushions were changed in the morning and evening. Not sure, but I seem to remember the material of the day cushions was slightly different from the evening ones. It may have been that they had a repellant coating for pool water/sun tan lotion. I'm always wary of sitting on dining chairs with fabric because of sun tan lotion, especially in the Lido in the evening, as people have been having lunch, snacks etc. in poolside clothes and lotion.:eek:

When we were on the Celebration last year the cushions were changed in the morning and evening. Not sure, but I seem to remember the material of the day cushions was slightly different from the evening ones. It may have been that they had a repellant coating for pool water/sun tan lotion. I'm always wary of sitting on dining chairs with fabric because of sun tan lotion, especially in the Lido in the evening, as people have been having lunch, snacks etc. in poolside clothes and lotion.:eek:

You seem to have the answer to this chair problem , suitable day cushions , this is an issue tui should address as it not acceptable to use chairs in a way they were not designed for

You seem to have the answer to this chair problem , suitable day cushions , this is an issue tui should address as it not acceptable to use chairs in a way they were not designed for

I would have thought that if they are still carrying out the practice on Celebration it would also be on the Dream as both ships are administered by Thomson. Majesty and Spirit are leased from Louis but they may also have cushions if the chairs are of the wicker type. It definitely made me happier to sit out on deck when dressed for the evening knowing that the cushions had been changed.

You can always fold a towel and sit on that during the day.

You've never met my OH happy v. Breakfast and off the ship and not back until just before sailing.:eek: I can usually get him to stop for drinks and eats during the day if we are in port all day and that's only because I'm diabetic (so guess who plays on it;)). I lost 5lbs on the last cruise. Here's to the 27 nights in five weeks time. The tickets arriving earlier in the week have really put me into holiday mode. Am I right in saying you should get yours next week?:D:D

We were on Dream in September and could not find any sunbeds although almost half of them had towels on them. We weren't happy but saw some tables with seats available higher up. We went and sat on them and the next thing my white shorts were black with soot from the funnel. We now knew why these chairs were free! I tried to flick it off and made it even worse. By this time I was really mad and went to reception to complain (in a nice way) about the lack of sunbeds. I was told that there are sunbed patrols every 45 mins and to look for a steward in a yellow shirt - he would find me a bed. Well, of course, we never saw a steward in a yellow shirt. Regarding my shorts, I showed them to the receptionist while there and she asked me to bring them back for laundering. I must say, I have never had such a lovely clean and pressed pair of shorts.

I had hoped things would have improved by now......:(

You've never met my OH happy v. Breakfast and off the ship and not back until just before sailing.:eek: I can usually get him to stop for drinks and eats during the day if we are in port all day and that's only because I'm diabetic (so guess who plays on it;)). I lost 5lbs on the last cruise. Here's to the 27 nights in five weeks time. The tickets arriving earlier in the week have really put me into holiday mode. Am I right in saying you should get yours next week?: quote]

Yes, if it's like you Monday :D.

I meant on the sea day for the towel ;) as like you we go off for the full day.

Excitement is starting to build now.:D

Edited by happy v

Hi happy v

I'll wait for your cheers on Monday.:D

Sea days don't exist in OH's brain. He'll walk me up and down stairs all over the ship. Never see the inside of a lift from first to last day apart from when we pass and the doors open.:eek: On the crossing I will manage to get him to sit down with scrabble for an hour then we will be on the move again. He used to go to the gym but his knees are k........d and I used to get at least an hour to myself to find somewhere on deck with my book and music but nowadays I feel as if I can't get my foot turned. Not bothered about the rays but do like to sit on the promenade deck if possible.

But hey ho. So long as the weather is nice, the seas calm, food palatable, entertainment enjoyable, fellow cruisers a happy bunch, etc. etc. a good relaxing holiday will hopefully be had.:D:D