Wines and corkage and bars, Oh my! (Signature Beverage Pkg, Beverage Cards & Corkage)

POA1

Sipping time is over. Continuing our saga...

SCOTCH:

Ballantine, Cutty Sark, Dewar's White, J&B, Johnnie Walker Red & Black, Chivas.

Over: Glenlivet, Laphroaig, Glenmorangie, Glenfidditch, Damone, Macallan 12.

BOURBON:

Jim Beam, Wild Turkey, Jack Daniels.

Over limit:

Knob Creek, Maker's Mark :( Tatoosh

GIN:

Bombay, Tanqueray, Nieuw Amsterdam, Bombay Sapphire, Tanqueray 10, Jong Bols

I'll finish later. One of my lab experiments just arrived and needs my immediate attention.

One quick last thing: You cannot use your SBP card and get a second drink for $1 at Happy Hour. You would have to charge the Happy Hour cocktails to your room if you wanted to take advantage of the Happy Hour pricing.

I don't anticipate running into that problem, but if you were figuring on ways to go above and beyond your 15 drink limit, the "spend a dollar for a drink" strategy wouldn't be available to you.

Edited by POA1

In unrelated news, the Noordam is in code red for Noro. None of our research scientists has succumbed though. Any headaches or nausea we have felt was completely self-induced.

As a part of your scientific research, would you share your ratings of those wines you brought on board? Any you'd bring several bottles of next cruise? any you'd skip?

Looking forward to all of your posts!

Here you go. Sorry about all the Evernote links, but it's the easiest way for me to sync my phone and laptop away from the office - and it gives me a way to share remotely.

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s88/sh/e1945709-5dbe-49e7-bff5-1f3f9331ff21/e461cb08735cb91ec4160ec7b94e74b3

There are some notes at the end. And, the 2003 vintage on the white Rioja is not a typo.

Ok, just to reiterate, we are on an Alaskan itinerary, so we have the card, and we cannot purchase the "happy hour plus $1"', unless we charge this to the suite , we also, cannot pay for corkage with the card , so DH and DBIL will have to drink 'til they drop...will have to find oversized water wings , I'm guessing, thanks for the info ( DH is a scientist, at heart, so he is very appreciative of your effort )

Marilyn

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The 2003 vintage of the white Rioja is not a typo

thanks POA1 - the quote function wasn't working. That is great news on the white Rioja actually. White Rioja's are normally very nice:D

Edited by kazu

Ok, just to reiterate, we are on an Alaskan itinerary, so we have the card, and we cannot purchase the "happy hour plus $1"', unless we charge this to the suite , we also, cannot pay for corkage with the card , so DH and DBIL will have to drink 'til they drop...will have to find oversized water wings , I'm guessing, thanks for the info ( DH is a scientist, at heart, so he is very appreciative of your effort )

Marilyn

The SBC card is for up to 15 beverages per day. You could still order them as individual drinks and put them on the card

Marilyn

I don't think you'll have a problem buying some drinks for your 3rd person using your SBP. Last night, my DBIL wanted some "Road sodas" when we were leaving the Northern Lights and all four of ordered them for him and asked that they be unopened. (Road sodas = Coors Light in this case. He probably wanted something to sip while he transcribed his research notes and ate the Cold pizza he stashed in the fridge earlier.

Sorry - forgot to answer the $1 question - You can get drinks during happy hour, but you get them one at a time on the SBP and the extra dollar promo does not apply.

Continuing on with the liquor list:

BRANDY, COGNAC, ARMAGNAC:

None. They're all over $7.

APERITIF:

Vermouth (Just remember that this refers to a glass of Vermouth, not the splash in your Martini. Dubonnet, Campari, Pernod, Harvey's Bristol Cream, Tim Pepe Sherry (I should have mentioned that with the dessert wines earlier.)

DIGESTIF:

Aquatic, Grappa, Limoncello

LIQUEURS:

Creme de Menthe, Galliano, Sambora, Kahlua, Tia Maria, Amaretto di Sarano, Southern Comfort, Bailey' s Irish Cream, Jagermeister, Maraschino Liqueur, Drambuie, Grand Marnier, Cointreau, Benedictine, Chambord

Not included: None. Go crazy with your after dinner cordials.

PORTS:

Sandeman, Warre's Optima,

Not included: Dow Let, Warre's Tawny (Warrior), Graham's Six Grapes, Dow's Vintage

BEER:

All of them. Bud, Bud Light, Coors Light, Miller, Miller Genuine Draft, Blue Moon, Bud Aluminum Bottle, Bud Light Aluminum Bottle, Bud Light Lime Aluminum Bottle, Michelob Ultra Aluminum Bottle.

Corona, Corona Light, Amstel Light, Heineken, Beck's, Stella Artois, Molson, Warsteiner, Guinness, Grolsh.

Hopefully my spell check didn't attack this post too much. It was really hating the brand names

I realize this goes a little astray from your original investigation but can you find out if bottled water counts under the 15 drinks using the SBP card.

Thanks

Actually, you are completely on target. I did say all things liquid.

You can get bottled water BUT you need to purchase it where a register is available. That means you need to get it from the Lido or a bar before you leave the ship. The usual water sales station by the gangway can't process your order.

You can get one liter and half liter bottled spring water, Perrier, or San Peligrino. We were comp'd a bottle of Acqua Panna in our room, so that's got to be available somewhere.

I should reiterate that Half Moon Cay beverage service is not included. If you want a water to go, take it with you from the ship. The more enterprising amongst you could accumulate some beer and soda and put it in your tote bag.

I have an answer to my own caviar question from a week or two ago. (Gave up looking for it. Is search still down?}

The Pinnacle Caviar Service is $45 for 28 grams/ 1 ounce. We will take a picture of it tonight when we're in the Pinnacle. We're pairing with both champagne and some chilled vodka. (That's right. Old school Russian style pairing.) Our go-to vodka for caviar pairing is Skyy 100, shaken super cold. It's got a really clean finish. Since they don't have that, we'll probably go with either Stoli or Ketel.

I'll post the photo tomorrow and will remember to send one to Halfacts.

Thank you POA1 for all the updates.

You're very welcome. Just trying to repay the favors everyone did for us as we prepared. We used your info quite a bit. :)

I don't think you'll have a problem buying some drinks for your 3rd person using your SBP. Last night, my DBIL wanted some "Road sodas" when we were leaving the Northern Lights and all four of ordered them for him and asked that they be unopened. (Road sodas = Coors Light in this case. He probably wanted something to sip while he transcribed his research notes and ate the Cold pizza he stashed in the fridge earlier.

Having sailed on Celebrity with their beverage package, I can say that sharing is expressly forbidden and actively watched for by their bartenders and staff. I can only assume that HAL would not be any different. While is is relatively easy to do, I would not be promoting it here on Cruise Critic.

Do they have a package of bottled water you can purchase like the buckets of beer?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No, but you can carry water onboard. You can grab a case at the grocery store on your way to the pier. Just pack an extra luggage tag and some tape. You can check the water in curbside.

We also bring sports bottles and refill them with ice water in the Neptune lounge. You can also refill in the Lido. The water quality is pretty good.

No, but you can carry water onboard. You can grab a case at the grocery store on your way to the pier. Just pack an extra luggage tag and some tape. You can check the water in curbside.

We also bring sports bottles and refill them with ice water in the Neptune lounge. You can also refill in the Lido. The water quality is pretty good.

Ok, thanks. I wasn't sure if there was a place to fill bottles since sodas are charged. (I'm spoiled to Disney's open soda fountains.) I have a Tervis bottle so I will just bring that.

Having sailed on Celebrity with their beverage package, I can say that sharing is expressly forbidden and actively watched for by their bartenders and staff. I can only assume that HAL would not be any different. While is is relatively easy to do, I would not be promoting it here on Cruise Critic.

Thanks. Awesome post. Glad to have you here. We purchased drinks for someone who already had the beverage package. All four of us have the SBP.

I don't feel that I was "promoting" anything. I was simply answering honestly based on my personal experience. Given that we declared all 24 bottles of wine, paid corkage, bought the SBP for every person in our party, I'm pretty sure we're not gaming the system. Not one little bit.

In my experience, every member of bar staff has been extremely nice, helpful, and professional. I haven't noticed anyone following us around, watching us. Perhaps we're just nice people. I could see them watching you like a hawk if you give off a shady vibe, but we're not those people.

Ok, thanks. I wasn't sure if there was a place to fill bottles since sodas are charged. (I'm spoiled to Disney's open soda fountains.) I have a Tervis bottle so I will just bring that.

Ours our L. L. Bean, but you shouldn't have a problem finding a place to fill your bottle. Just ask the attendant. It's messy if you try to fill your 24 oz bottle by dumping 4 little glasses into it. :confused:

Stalking the elusive B. B. King cocktail menu...

The B. B. King lounge has its own set of Signature Cocktails. We'll try to grab a photo this evening. People have reported that they're quite good.

Sorry about slipping into a hunting metaphor there. Perhaps "on the verge of a new discovery would have been more apt.