Skagway, Alaska - looking for someplace scenic & quiet to visit

grimmy35

My husband and I are taking a cruise to Alaska this year for our 10th anniversary and we have considered doing a vow renewal while there. I checked into the vow renewal on the cruise ship, but it wasn't quite what I was looking for. We are going to be in Skagway on our actual anniversary and instead of doing an excursion through the cruise line what I'm hoping we can do is get some ideas of some places we could visit that will be scenic and somewhat quiet where we could just do our own little "exchange of vows". Maybe someplace to go hiking? We'll probably get a taxi when we get off of the ship. Anyone have any suggestions of places you visited in Skagway that you really enjoyed?

I know I'm not really answering your question, but you may want to look at the reviews of the Shrine of St. Therese in Juneau. It sounds like the type of place you are looking for, but unfortunately, the wrong port.

Skagway is very small. I wouldn't even consider getting a taxi there as most (all?) things in town are walkable! Honestly, I can't think of a place in Skagway. Maybe outside of Skagway?

I would consider renting a car and driving into the Yukon. Emerald Lake is stunning. I have not hiked around it but am guessing you could.

I know people who have gotten married on glacier landings (taking a helicopter) but this would probably be iffy due to weather.

Edited by Coral

I know I'm not really answering your question, but you may want to look at the reviews of the Shrine of St. Therese in Juneau. It sounds like the type of place you are looking for, but unfortunately, the wrong port.

Good idea!

In Skagway Yakutania Point might work. Fairly close to town and a beautiful setting. There are reviews and photos here. Skagway can get pretty busy when there are multiple ships in. Start early wherever you go.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60877-d2252299-Reviews-Yakutania_Point-Skagway_Alaska.html

As mentioned, the Shrine of St. Therese or just a bit further up the road at Eagle Beach would be nice areas for you in Juneau.

In the tradition of the north, some off us take on the duty of this title, in order to preserve a certain order on this rough frontier.

With this in mind, I am sure that you could find someone to perform this secular service in sundry quiet sojourns in the immediate vicinity of Skagway. (You wouldn't need a taxi, even if we had one, which we currently do not.) Yak point is only one of many places for this type of celebration.

There are also several churches of various faith which I am sure would welcome you, if you are so inclined, and of the Christian faith.

Historically, the oldest edifice of this type, in Skagway, would be the Presbyterian, which still has the original seats in the original sanctuary and the acoustics are such that some say that even I can sing a passable note therein:rolleyes (usually only after the clink of a genuine coin is heard in the collection plate!) At any rate, if you arrive shortly thereafter my solo, I can guarantee that you would have the whole place to yourselves:)

Thank you for your visit and I wish you we'll.

DD

Thank you guys so much! I will check out St. Therese as well, as it doesn't necessarily *have* to be on our anniversary date. And Yakutania Point sounds like a very plausible option as well.

I am super excited about visiting Alaska!

I would highly suggest that you reserve a rental car from Avis and head up the Klondike Highway....all the way to Emerald Lake. From your description of what you are looking for, this is the perfect thing to do. My husband and I have done this trip twice and love it for the beauty and the quietness that you can enjoy. There is a guide that has been around for years that you can print out (google Murray's Guide) to guide you as you travel along the Klondike Hwy. The views are phenomenal and on each of our trips we had an amazing bear encounter on the side of the road-once a grizzly and the other time a black bear. One trip we turned down a dirt road and ended up at an old log cabin in the middle of nowhere. It made for some beautiful rustic pictures. Another time we found a beautiful lake surrounded by nothing but mountains and trees-not a single building or human being around. It was absolutely gorgeous!

Congratulations on your anniversary and enjoy your trip-Alaska truly is an amazing place!

You say you are looking to sort of 'do your own thing' with the vows, so I would also suggest Emerald Lake. We have done this twice and each time it's a new adventure. Last time, we were told not to try and be the first ones there, so we waited a bit and really took our time driving there. When we arrived we were the only ones there and it was spectacular. We packed a picnic lunch and just sat around for about an hour admiring the beauty of it all.

I would also say this is exactly what you are looking for. On our drives we saw plenty of wildlife, some majestic places to just stop and admire where you are and you go at your own pace. It is an easy drive and a wonderful day.

Emerald Lake

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/new%20alaska/IMG_1501.jpg

Along the way

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/new%20alaska/alaskamain397.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/new%20alaska/alaskamain407.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/new%20alaska/alaskamain446-1.jpg

A bear that sort of wondered out right in front of us

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/new%20alaska/alaskamain386.jpg

Once again, Emerald lake

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/new%20alaska/alaskamain427.jpg

Cheers

Len

The drive into the Yukon is well worth it. Also, if you have trouble getting a car and/or don't want to do the drive and like to hike, the hike to Lower Dewey Lake is nice and the lake could serve as the sort of setting your are looking for (assuming the weather is good). The trail head is just on the edge of town.

I'd like to put in another vote for Yakutania Point. We walked there several times when we ran out of things to do in Skagway. It was a nice, easy walk. At the end it can get a little rough (path gets rocky, at least the last time we were there about 5 years ago); but you don't have to go all the way. It is very peaceful, because most people don't know it is there. If you do a ship/private tour, you can probably squeeze it in at the end or the beginning, if your tour isn't too long (you need at least 30-45 minutes to get there and do a short walk of the path from downtown). We ran into the same local walking his dog when we were on 2 separate cruises. Amazing!!:)