Oia Santorini

Hi everyone

Anyone got any advice about seeing Oia, I've noticed the excursion is £37pp, is it worth this cost or better to do it on your own, has anyone ever done it by taxi? There are 4 of us so this may be an option? Can you only get to the top of the cliff-face by cable car at Thira or do the coaches for the excursions take you up?

Any tips/help very much appreciated ;)

All-afloaty

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I took the excursion which involves taking alocal tender to a jetty on the south of the island. Then we took the coach to Oia where we had free time to explore. Then back to the local co-operative winery for free samples and nibbles. Finally we were dropped in Thira with more free time and caught the cable car down the cliff and then the tender to the ship. At Thira there is only the cable car and donkey track.

When we visited Santorini severel years ago with Thomson we went on an excursion which included Oia Its a tender port and we were taken to a slipway in another bay from where the cable car is and we boarded our coach there. There was at the time a local bus from Thira to Oia - the distance is very short. We decided on the trip as it was a Sunday and we couldn't be sure of the timetable. At the end of the trip I walked down the steps back to the jetty (Terrified of Cable Cars + and refused to use the Donkeys on principle. So if you happy with the cable car going alone will give you much more time to look around (we felt very rushed and would have loved to stay longer)The bus station is a 15 min walk from the cable car and buses run every 20mins cost 1.60 eu last year.

My OH refuses point blank to go on a cable car. The Santorini one is much more like a funicular as it hugs the cliff face and he was fine with that. The donkeys look much more scary!

We went to Oia on the local bus, but found it a bit of a scrum at the bus "station" in Thira, as there were no designated stops or queuing places. I also had a moment's panic when the bus back was clearly going in the "wrong" direction (out towards the airport), but just kept my fingers crossed until we got back to Thira!

With four of you, a taxi would probably be the best option. It's nicer to be able to explore at a more leisurely pace. You could check on the port timetables to see how many other ships will be there at the same time as you as that might affect the availability of taxis.

kate

On Kruzseeka's advice we took the local bus to Oia without any problems. It was a Sunday when we were there too. We went early and spent the morning there and headed back to Thira after lunch when Oia was starting to get really busy. Thira was packed when we went back to catch the cable car so walked down the donkey path. Whatever you do, don't do that :eek:

Oia is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been.

When we visited Santorini the first time we tried to walk to Oia (bad idea). Did not realise the distance involved. We ended up in a lovely little taverna getting advice from the owner about visiting Oia when we next called in. On our next visit we caught a taxi from Thira and spent the day in Oia. We loved it so much we went back to stay for a week the next year. It is the most beautiful little village and really comes into its own after sundown. We stayed at Ikies houses on the outskirts of the village overlooking the caldera and had a fabulous holiday. We are planning in returning again this September all being well. Flights from Manchester are a bit of a drag mind you but worth the effort.

When we visited Santorini the first time we tried to walk to Oia (bad idea). Did not realise the distance involved. We ended up in a lovely little taverna getting advice from the owner about visiting Oia when we next called in. On our next visit we caught a taxi from Thira and spent the day in Oia. We loved it so much we went back to stay for a week the next year. It is the most beautiful little village and really comes into its own after sundown. We stayed at Ikies houses on the outskirts of the village overlooking the caldera and had a fabulous holiday. We are planning in returning again this September all being well. Flights from Manchester are a bit of a drag mind you but worth the effort.

That's interesting biffybear. You are whetting my appetite! Can you remember approximately the cost of the taxi to Oia? We've always done it independently by bus but it does get a bit stressful trying to get an early tender, hoping you can beat the cable car queues (especially if there are several shps in) to try and catch an early bus - would be so much more relaxin just picking up a taxi - whenever we arrive at the top.

Cant remember exactly how much the taxi cost but I am sure it wasn't expensive. We caught the cable car to the top then walked straight up through Thira. There was a taxi rank near the bus stop. The buses get really crowded especially if there are a few ships in so a taxi is the ideal solution. Our taxi driver was really helpful. He dropped us off at Oia and left us to explore on our own. We arranged for him to come back for us later in the day and he took us an alternative route back to the cable car stopping at a lovely little bay to have picture taken.

Awwww thanks everyone for all the info/suggestions.

I think we'll definitely try the taxi, it's got to be cheaper than 4 x £37, just hope there aren't too many trying to do the same!

Cruisin' Linda it's part of the Ancient Wonders on Celebration in September then Holy Land week 2.

Any more tips/info just keep them coming! I love reading this forum it keeps the excitement up!!!

;)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We visited with Royal Caribbean a few years ago, as said previously, tender to a far quayside and coach up the hill, visited Oia, winery (gorgeous views) and Thira, cable car down on our own, no problem (except, be sure to leave plenty of time for cable car if visiting during peak season). I would expect this is the way all cruise lines do it.

Wonderful place, have a fab time :)