Kona Coffee in Hawaii

The Wilkies

Go to the Coffee Shack, near Captain Cook on the Kona side of the Big Island. Have breakfast or lunch on their porch--the food and the view are both terrific--then buy your coffee from them. As everyone says, make sure it's 100% Kona (not sure they sell anything else), and if you really want to splurge, go for the peaberry.

http://www.coffeeshack.com/

If you can find some Hawaiian Queen Coffee, buy it!!! Their Private Reserve won the Kona Coffee Cupping competition this past November, a major prize in the Kona area. Their peaberry is sublime, but it costs $49.99/lb!!!! The Private Reserve is not as much, and they toss in a few peaberries to tease you...

Thought I'd posted a separate thread about visiting coffee plantations in Kona yesterday. It either disappeared or I forgot to hit Submit. Oh well, perhaps it's better asked here.

Which coffee plantations in Kona would you recommend visiting and why? In another thread, Susan recommended Greenwell's Coffee Plantation.

Wondering things like:

* Does it cost to take a tour?

* Are the staff pushy? (if so, I'd want to avoid--don't like being Pitched to)

* How many hours should one allocate to visiting a coffee plantation.

Will be staying in the Kohala Coast area.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Susan.

Can anyone give a summary of what it's like, and what to expect, visiting one of the Kona Coffee Plantations? Is it something you'd have skipped if you'd known what to expect in advance (that would be the case for me with the Dole Plantation on Oahu for example--too many push salespeople around / bad vibe).

For this visit, will be based in the Kohala Coast area.

Thought I'd posted a separate thread about visiting coffee plantations in Kona yesterday. It either disappeared or I forgot to hit Submit. Oh well, perhaps it's better asked here.

Which coffee plantations in Kona would you recommend visiting and why? In another thread, Susan recommended Greenwell's Coffee Plantation.

Wondering things like:

* Does it cost to take a tour?

* Are the staff pushy? (if so, I'd want to avoid--don't like being Pitched to)

* How many hours should one allocate to visiting a coffee plantation.

Will be staying in the Kohala Coast area.

You're welcome Mike,

Just to add to the information that I provided on the other thread, the reviews on TA might be helpful as they answer many of your questions.

No regrets doing the tour ... we really enjoyed it, but I don't think we would have done it on a short trip to the BI as there were other priorities that we had. Since we had time, we included it on the day that we went to Puʻuhonua o Hōnaunau NP and snorkelled at Honaunau Bay. Those three activities made for an interesting day and made the drive worthwhile...and we still had time to do some exploring in Kailua Kona afterwards, before heading back to our accommodations on the Kohala Coast.

Edited by Susan-M

You're welcome Mike,

Just to add to the information that I provided on the other thread, the reviews on TA might be helpful as they answer many of your questions.

No regrets doing the tour ... we really enjoyed it, but I don't think we would have done it on a short trip to the BI as there were other priorities that we had. Since we had time, we included it on the day that we went to Puʻuhonua o Hōnaunau NP and snorkelled at Honaunau Bay. Those three activities made for an interesting day and made the drive worthwhile...and we still had time to do some exploring in Kailua Kona afterwards, before heading back to our accommodations on the Kohala Coast.

Thanks Susan. Sounds like a great day / itinerary you had.