How many people purchase fun dollars before cruising

jaxcruiser23

[quote name='T. Advisor King']I was very surprised to discover that people do this despite the fact that the Carnival dollars are on par with the US$. I could see if there was a discount of perhaps 3-5%, or if Carnival paid even a nominal interest rate on the money between the date of purchase and the date it was applied to an account, then it might make sense. Otherwise, I think you're just paying today for something you could pay for months from now. You'd be no worse off if you stuffed the same cash in a jar at home, except if you keep the money at home, at least you have the satisfaction of knowing that you didn't give an interest-free loan to a multi-billion dollar company.

If there is some sort of psychological benefit to "knowing that your cruise bill is paid" and that benefit is not met by just putting the money in a jar, then why not apply your cash to your credit card (assuming you don't have one of the cards where they will actually cut you a check if you have a credit balance)?

I've never understood the logic in pre-paying anything that can be post-paid at par. If there is a discount, then fine.

In fact, if anyone out there wants to send me a bunch of money and have me apply it to their account 6 months from now, let me know. I'll happily open a separate account and earn interest.[/quote]

I want to give you a +1. I don't see anywhere in your post where you tell someone how to spend their money. I agree with you completely. For me it is not a matter of gaining interest, as the rates are pretty much zero, but retaining my money in my grubby paws. I have suggested putting money in a can and met similar flaming on this subject. I personally save my money and set it aside and use my 2% travel rebate on my Costco American Express. It really does add up when cruise and onboard spending are 3500 dollars I get 70 dollars back for doing nothing but using my Amex card. When the bill comes due I simply pay it off. Each to their own I say. Many people on this board are passionate about buying cruise cash/ gift cards and get angry when a alternative way is suggested.

[quote name='n6uqqq']I want to give you a +1. I don't see anywhere in your post where you tell someone how to spend their money. I agree with you completely. For me it is not a matter of gaining interest, as the rates are pretty much zero, but retaining my money in my grubby paws. I have suggested putting money in a can and met similar flaming on this subject. I personally save my money and set it aside and use my 2% travel rebate on my Costco American Express. It really does add up when cruise and onboard spending are 3500 dollars I get 70 dollars back for doing nothing but using my Amex card. When the bill comes due I simply pay it off. Each to their own I say. Many people on this board are passionate about buying cruise cash/ gift cards and get angry when a alternative way is suggested.[/QUOTE]

yalls way is stupid :-P

[quote name='jaxcruiser23']yalls way is stupid :-P[/quote]

So you come out asking peoples' opinions and then criticize anyone against you. You asked if anyone else did it that way and got some different opinions. You should have titled in your thread " only reply if you agree with me" . Feel free to send Carnival your money and might as well send in the tips a year in advance too so you can sleep at night.

[quote name='n6uqqq']So you come out asking peoples' opinions and then criticize anyone against you. You asked if anyone else did it that way and got some different opinions. You should have titled in your thread " only reply if you agree with me" . Feel free to send Carnival your money and might as well send in the tips a year in advance too so you can sleep at night.[/QUOTE]

Really guy I was joking get over yourself. You and T A king deff need to go on a cruise together yall deff deserve each other

Can you or do you purchase it with a credit card or bank card that offers a cashback bonus? Just wondering....like I've used my AMEX to buy various giftcards at Kroger...got % back for "grocery store" purchase, got Kroger Fuel points, and then had the gift cards to buy what I'd normally buy like at Target or off Amazon.com.

[quote name='Sarah@Sea']Can you or do you purchase it with a credit card or bank card that offers a cashback bonus? Just wondering....like I've used my AMEX to buy various giftcards at Kroger...got % back for "grocery store" purchase, got Kroger Fuel points, and then had the gift cards to buy what I'd normally buy like at Target or off Amazon.com.[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm....Not a bad idea...I've purchased Carnival gift cards in the past using a credit card that did not have bonus points/incentives, but can't see why using one that did would not work for gift cards or "cruise cash" purchases..seems a win win!!!

[quote name='jaxcruiser23']I was just wondering how many people do as I do before every cruise starting 3 months before each cruise I purchase about $150-$250 fun dollars every friday I look at it as a bill then when the cruise comes around we have over $2000 on our sale and sign card and that usually covers the whole cruise just seems easier to have funds on our account when we arrive. Anyone else do this or am I the only weirdo to do this lol[/quote]

To each his own. If it makes you comfortable with your finances then do it. The only credits we normally have on our account is any OBC we may have received. I just don't see the point in fun dollars....but then our cruise bill is usually only between $200-$700 depending on the length of the cruise and how much OBC we received. We just charge the balance on our credit card like we do all of our spending and pay it off when the bill comes. I prefer to keep my money with me for as long as possible without paying any interest. Plus I can use my points from the charges towards my next vacation. We always cash in our credit card points about a month before a vacation to use as free spending money. Edited by Warm Breezes

[quote name='dramaqueenjan']How does it work ? I always bring cash for my sign and sail put id rather not travel with so much as I also pay for excursions ect with cash..this sounds great to me[/QUOTE]

This is one of the top reasons we do it as we had always done a cash account before, plus bring cash for all our ports, excursions, ect. With the Carnival gift cards I just purchase them ahead of time and saves from not having to carry so much cash at once. Not a big deal as some are making it. Works great for us;)

[quote name='rprice11']Gift card sales are not considered interest free loans but are in fact considered a liability.[/quote]
Cruise cash is not a gift card. It's a use-it-or-lose-it thing. Gift cards carry a balance from purchase to purchase. Cruise cash does not. Carnival has to be making money off of it, or they wouldn't offer it.

[quote name='CoconutJD']Cruise cash is not a gift card. It's a use-it-or-lose-it thing. Gift cards carry a balance from purchase to purchase. Cruise cash does not. Carnival has to be making money off of it, or they wouldn't offer it.[/QUOTE]

It's the same principle.

[quote name='Perfect Stranger']If you have an emergency your money is tied up with Carnival. Why give them a free loan?[/QUOTE]

I do it to soften the blow and had a reverse emergency once. On the day before I sailed, I discovered I was the victim of identity theft. My Debit card and credit card both had to be blocked. I had a 5am flight out to catch the ship the next morning. Luckily I had put money on my account on board and ended up relying on those funds for on board fun. There was no way my bank could get me a replacement card before I flew out at 5am the next morning to board the ship.

What I don't know now is if it is worth it since it is use it or lose it on Carnival. On Royal Caribbean I was always refunded what I did not spend.

Yikes. So glad you had the back up money on your cruise.

I am considering getting them for my August cruise next year. I am terrible at saving money and I have to keep a low balance on my credit card to help me stay out of spending troubles. (I use my one CC to pay for bills each month and then pay the CC bill off immediately)

Not all of us were born with the saving gene. :)