.......idle jottings

ho-hum

Hmm, Harvey is the exact height of ol' Ragnar (now that age has taken its toll....).

"Was it that they were too young and the tannins had'nt settled down ?

You know us Brits like a bit of "attitude" and un-polished style to wine at times.

American wines are brilliant but they lack this aspect that certain wine drinkers care for."

Au contraire Mons. hum, we found the french reds rather bland. But worst was that they almost all presented considerable "funk" on the nose, that took a long time, if ever, to dissipate. Even when decanted. In California, this would be an indication that the grapes grew in an environment too warm for the varietal. This is seperate from the "earthiness" that bordeaux are known for. Now all this could be due to our miserly nature causing us to never have paid more than €120 for a bottle. But in California, $100 at a restaurant or $50 at the winery nets you a decent wine (though we will fork out much more for really good ones, AFTER tasting them. No pigs in pokes for us, mind you.)

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold

And on another tangent:

MillerCoors Closes North Carolina Brewery, Cutting Over 500 Jobs

MillerCoors will be closing one of its eight U.S. breweries, as the growing popularity of craft beer puts the competitive pressure on major beer brands.

Get ready Europe, we are coming for your insipid brews next :D

And on another tangent:

MillerCoors Closes North Carolina Brewery, Cutting Over 500 Jobs

MillerCoors will be closing one of its eight U.S. breweries, as the growing popularity of craft beer puts the competitive pressure on major beer brands.

Get ready Europe, we are coming for your insipid brews next :D

Since the Europeans have already bought Anheuser Busch and Miller, would that be the European Beer Barons going after themselves????:eek::D

Hmm, Harvey is the exact height of ol' Ragnar (now that age has taken its toll....).

"Was it that they were too young and the tannins had'nt settled down ?

You know us Brits like a bit of "attitude" and un-polished style to wine at times.

American wines are brilliant but they lack this aspect that certain wine drinkers care for."

Au contraire Mons. hum, we found the french reds rather bland. But worst was that they almost all presented considerable "funk" on the nose, that took a long time, if ever, to dissipate. Even when decanted. In California, this would be an indication that the grapes grew in an environment too warm for the varietal. This is seperate from the "earthiness" that bordeaux are known for. Now all this could be due to our miserly nature causing us to never have paid more than €120 for a bottle. But in California, $100 at a restaurant or $50 at the winery nets you a decent wine (though we will fork out much more for really good ones, AFTER tasting them. No pigs in pokes for us, mind you.)

Hmmmm...impressed.

Erudite, perceptive and informative.

Tell Hum if you know of this wine (in the link beliw) being promoted by one of Hum's wine merchants. He has obtained a "parcel" of the wine at a tantalisingly good price.

Link:

http://www.thevineking.com/ProductDetails.asp?PID=128&txtSearch=robles&Count=0&Total=3

"Erudite, perceptive and informative." -- But of course, I am an engineer.

I have no personal experience with that wine or winery, but I found it sells in sub-$20 range in the US. In general, the Central Coast has made great strides in recent years, so there is a good likelyhood it would be a nice wine. I will add the winery to our next Central Coast trip.

And how could you go wrong with a wine that lists this as its top accolade? -

"Double-Gold Medal - Houston Livestock & Rodeo Wine Competition 2015"

Since the Europeans have already bought Anheuser Busch and Miller, would that be the European Beer Barons going after themselves????:eek::D

Let me 'splain this real simple. I meant the craft brew revolution will soon be rolling over the stodgy, tradition-hobbled European beer giants. I have German friends that were weened from their mothers's milk with lagers and pils that are converts to real, craft beer now. The big brewers know their days are numbered and are desperately buying up craft brewers. But they can't help but meddle with the brewing to reduce costs, etc., and so their new vassles soon are replaced in the market by young enthusiast that just want to make good beer. Sadly, my beloved Saint Archer in San Diego just got bought out by a major and I expect the quality to decline soon :( But that will clear the way for some new young turks.

"Erudite, perceptive and informative." -- But of course, I am an engineer.

I have no personal experience with that wine or winery, but I found it sells in sub-$20 range in the US. In general, the Central Coast has made great strides in recent years, so there is a good likelyhood it would be a nice wine. I will add the winery to our next Central Coast trip.

And how could you go wrong with a wine that lists this as its top accolade? -

"Double-Gold Medal - Houston Livestock & Rodeo Wine Competition 2015"

You're kiddin !

Well if it's good enough for Texan cattlemen, then it's good enough for Hum.

Was it rated 4 or 5 "yee-ha's" ?

So long, so long, so long... and thanks for all the fish!

We get up at the crack of dawn and venture out into the wilds of St. Emilion, checking for purple lions or pink panthers before rounding any corner. St. Emilion at sunrise is quite striking and worth getting up early (or in ho-hum's case, staying up a bit later) to see. We wandered around the town and ventured a bit into the surrounding countryside. Mrs D got some stellar shots (photos, not tequila Jim). I even was busy clicking away with my iPhone camera. Photography note: the "pano" setting on the phone camera can create some awesome photos! But I've found they turn out best if you limit the sweep to 90 degrees or so. More than that and they start looking like reflections in a fun-house mirror...

While heading back to the hotel, we saw preperations going on for the "Jurade" festivities, and saw several men wearing or carrying the red robes that mark membership. Here's a bit on the Jurade, and St. Emilion:

http://www.saint-emilion-tourisme.com/uk/1-discover/32-heritage-tradition/20-the-jurade-an-ancient-tradition-still-very-much-alive.html

There were also kilted bagpipers and drummers warming up for the procession around the town to the church, where the main ceremonies were to be held. Quite a sight! And bagpipers warming up sound a bit like rabid cats having their tails stepped upon :-) All made for a great spectacle. But we were hungry and in need of coffee so soon headed back to the hotel. The hotel rate included a very nice, served continental breakfast, enhanced with perfectly cooked softboiled eggs. And a big pot of steamed milk to add to the rich, dark coffee (sorry if this sounds like an advertisement, but we were starved after all the hiking).

We decided not to hang around for the full Jurade ceremony and to tour more of the vineyard areas surrounding St. Emillion. So we checked out to go in search of a tall steeple Mrs D had spotted while driving between chateaux the day before. On the way to the car we stopped into a large, handsomely decorated wine shop, to pick up "one for the road" :-) Again we gravitated to a Pomerol, that the proprietor helped us select. Twern't cheap, about €110. The reason for mentioning this will be apparent later.

A note about the zillions of wine shops in St. Emilion - they are not allowed to charge less than the wineries charge in their on-site tasting rooms! So the shops compete mainly on ambiance, selection, and the knowledge of their proprietors. I'm not sure if this is true for all of France, or just for St. Emilion. One issue though, none of the shops seemed to have controlled-temperature storage. Some had four-figure bottles just sitting on shelves. Either they have fast turnover, or this helps explain the quality issues we encountered.

Our prized bottle nestled deep in a suitcase, we depart St. Emilion in search of the glimpsed church steeple. Our route would also take us through Pomerol, so I looked up Petrus on the nav system and entered it as a waypoint, figuring, rightly, that we could get some good photos :-)

The spire of the unknown church was visible in the distance so we just set off in the general direction, stopping to take vineyard photos along the way. We eventually found the church, and the exterior was quite beautiful, with very interesting architecture and carvings. It was not open, so no interior photos. If any interest I can probably find the name of the church in our photos, or from the gps location info associated with the photos. Mrs D and I get separated walking around the church, eyes on viewfinders, not each other. Soon I go looking for her, making a quick circuit around the church. But no Mrs D. Wondering if she maybe ran off with a hunky hunchback, I do another loop, this time looking further afield. A bit later I spot a bit of movement far out in a vineyard. It is Mrs D framing just the perfect shot of the clouds, church, and grape leaves...

After I retrieve MrsD, we head out in search of the vaunted Petrus. We find it in short order, nestled in with a small group of buildings. The winery is elegant but very understated. It is not open to visitors, short of Bill Gates, ho-hum, and such... The building is bristling with security cameras and has a stout iron gate across its driveway. Naturally, given such a serious setting, I grab the bottle of wine we bought that morning and clown it up under the Petrus sign, for Mrs D's amusement (or perhaps disgust....). We also lay hands on the building, hoping to channel some of the enological ju-ju. One thing about Petrus, their vines are the most perfectly pruned that we have seen. They spend a fortune on tending the vines.

Well, clowning over, we note the rising urgency caused by the copious amount of coffee consumed at breakfast. So, despite the all-seeing cameras, we sneak off down a row of manicured vines for a call of nature, leaving a bit of "Essence de Ragnar" behind. I suspect the 2015 Petrus will be particularly superb!

We skeedadle out of there quick as bunnies before the Petrus security goons can collar us :-) After putting some distance between us and our minor indiscretions, we set the nav for Beynac, along the Dordogne. The drive is leisurely and we eventually encounter the pretty Dordogne and follow it for quite a ways, crossing back and forth over the river as it meanders. Upon entering Beynac we find parking and stroll down to the river to check on the riverboat rides. We buy tickets for the next scheduled departure and then walk the steep streets of the town a bit, taking photos of the pretty stone buildings, flower boxes, etc. Then we stroll down the river a bit, watching the canoers and kayakers. Was a hoot to watch the less skilled attempt to pull up to the bank or boat ramp. Amazing that there aren't more tourists, sans their boats, floating by on the river...

We arrive at the dock at the appointed time and board our "gabare", a shallow draft river boat. The boat seats about 40, but is not full. The tour is in French, but they provide a printed guide that somewhat follows what the guide is talking about. We motor slowly up river, with the guide telling the convoluted history of the area, about the 100 Years War, and how boundaries between French and English control were constantly changing. We passed a few castles, and saw a few more off in the distance. Eventually the boat turns around and floats down river lazily, passing again under a big stone bridge. The view of Beynac from the river is quite striking, with its castle up on a high cliff.

Boat ride over, we extricate the car from the traffic jam in the parking lot caused by several cars waiting for spaces. Soon we are on the road and shortly veer off our appointed path, to the annoyance of the nav lady, to drive up to a castle we had seen from the boat. We did not go in as it was getting late, but we admired the view of the river valley that the hill top location afforded. Took some good pano photos from up there. To the relief of Margret (the nav system) we returned to our programmed route to Sarlat.

The drive to Sarlat was very scenic and we made good time, getting back in the late afternoon. As we had not had lunch, we snacked on a few leftovers, then went out to window shop, maybe buy a few souvenirs, and take a few last photos of Sarlat. After a bit, we were getting peckish again so checked out the menus of a few establishments. Then we stumbled across a guy that has a hole in the wall hamburger joint in one of the alleys off the main pedestrian street. As his two, count them two, tables were taken, and the burgers looked really good, we decided to get a couple, with really good fries, and take them back to the apartment. The guy was so proud of his burgers that he pulled out the big pan of fresh patties that he had just picked up at the butcher to show us :-) As our cheeseburgers were cooking, we talked to him a bit. He had spent a year in Los Angeles, where the idea for the burger joint came to him. I bet he does good business, as a break for folks from foie gras and baguettes :-)

We rushed back to the apartment to avoid the fries getting soggy, and, once there, opened our €110 Pomerol to go with our €5 burgers! But damn, the combo made for a great dinner :-)

After dinner we picked up the apartment and packed our bags for the trip to the Lyon airport in the morning. It had been a long two weeks so we just stayed in and hit the sack early.

In the morning we made breakfast out of odds and ends we had on hand (calamari with your coffee anyone?). We also made baguette sandwiches for the road. We ran the dishwasher and I took the bags out to the car. Did I mention the apartment was on the third floor (2nd floor to you Brits)? The apartment had wifi so we did some last email and web surfing while waiting to turn over the keys. The rep showed up on time and we were on the road by 10am.

Lyon was a 4.5 hour drive from Sarlat. We wished in retrospect we had flown out of Bordeaux, but the flights to Heathrow are late in the evening, and not every day. Plus we thought we'd sightsee a little in Lyon before our 7 pm flight. The road to Lyon is very scenic, with many terrain changes. I didn't know there were volcanos (extinct) in France! Plus there are some loooooong tunnels through hills.

By the time we got to Lyon the traffic was building and I had reached my limit of driving after the long vacation. So we bypassed the city center and went to the airport, figuring to relax in the lounge. We only had to do two loops through the airport to find the tiny sign pointing towards the rental car drop off area.... Then shuttled to Terminal 2. Upon entering we looked around for a map of the terminal, to find the lounge, since the ever helpful and always accurate BA website said there was one. But, no map in sight, we go to the big information desk to ask about the lounge. The young man scrunches up his face and says he's never heard of one. So he gets on the phone and makes several calls, then draws a map for us. We thank him and head to security and then into the air side of the terminal. Well, we follow the map, but no lounge. We walk the entire length of the terminal (not very big) but see no indication of a lounge, nor any spaces one could hide.

We give up and look for a bar. Nope, none of those either. Only vending machines and a Starbucks-like coffee bar. So, thoroughly beaten, we skulk off to some fairly private chairs with a table to wait out the three hours to our flight. We get coffees and split a stale pastry. Then I happen to look up as a lady is walking towards the table next ours and she is carrying a very large plastic cup, of what looks like beer! I asked her were she got it and she laughed and said, with a very British accent, that all these French cafes have a tap of Heineken in the back. I thanked here profusely and went back to the cafe. Nothing on the menu board indicated beer, but sure enough I spied a tap handle way in the back. So a large, cold beer procured, all was right with the world again (despite it being Heineken) :-)

Our flight to LHR was uneventful and they served us decent chow and wine, so dinner was taken care of. We checked into the Sofitel to catch a few winks before our 9am flight to LAX. In the morning we breakfast at the BA lounge and then board the giant A-380. We settle into our cosy cocoon, and this time accept the proffered champagne, a workmanlike Taittinger. Then the captain comes on the intercom and tells us a computer won't boot :-o They send for an expert, and we eventually take off, an hour late. Not that we noticed, as the champagne continued to come around :-)

After take off they passed out menus and I noticed this flight they offered three champagnes rather than two, the Taittinger, a Castlenau (which they breathlessly touted), and a rose, the name of which I forget. My intent was to try all three :-) Before lunch, the stewardess came by to ask if we would like a drink. As I had had the Taittinger already, I asked for the Castlenau. She brought it and it was very good. She noticed not long after that my glass was empty and would I like some more. Yes please :-) She brings another glass, but I could tell on the first sip it was the Taittinger, not what I ordered, but plenty good. I thought nothing further if it. A few minutes later the stewardess shows up again, unbidden, and apologizes for serving me the wrong champagne! For a second I wonder if we accidentally sat in first... Then she proceeds to present me with an entire, unopened bottle of the Castlenau, as way of apology. I assure her that there was no problem, but she insists I take it. And I do, thanking her. Splaining it to the friendly customs officer later was another matter...

The rest of the flight was uneventful and we arrived home to gladly be slobbered on by our "pony"

The end.

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold

Thanks Jim!

Note to self: Limit future trip summaries to one paragraph per week of travel.

Whilst WAR & PEACE may have been shorter !

We all had a great time reading your exploits so ignore note to self.

Can't wait for your next trip.

So long, so long, so long... and thanks for all the fish!

Errr ?

St. Emilion at sunrise is quite striking and worth getting up early (or in ho-hum's case, staying up a bit later) to see.

Haha

We wandered around the town and ventured a bit into the surrounding countryside. Mrs D got some stellar shots (photos, not tequila Jim).

Hum would'nt push that line..........methinks he has become a little touchy about tequila and for Gawd's sake say nothing about large rabbits.

Hum mentioned it once but thinks he got away with it.

Until he gets his medication checked, we should cut down the "ruff" banter.

Our route would also take us through Pomerol, so I looked up Petrus on the nav system and entered it as a waypoint, figuring, rightly, that we could get some good photos :-)

The "holy of holies"

So, despite the all-seeing cameras, we sneak off down a row of manicured vines for a call of nature, leaving a bit of "Essence de Ragnar" behind. I suspect the 2015 Petrus will be particularly superb!

Was once the "holy of holies" !

Beynac, along the Dordogne.

Beautiful....and along the river too...aaahhhh.

Then we stumbled across a guy that has a hole in the wall hamburger joint in one of the alleys off the main pedestrian street.

Oh no...you did'nt !!

I bet he does good business, as a break for folks from foie gras and baguettes :-)

Oh yes he did !

Does'nt "hole in the wall" tell you anything ?

When in France the thing to eat for the carnivorous with short pockets and taste is onglet in a baguette...absolutely superb.

But damn, the combo made for a great dinner :-)

Well if it works for you then fantastic.

So a large, cold beer procured, all was right with the world again (despite it being Heineken) :-)

Saved by the beer fairy.......no I was not talking about you Jim !

We settle into our cosy cocoon, and this time accept the proffered champagne, a workmanlike Taittinger.

Perfectly acceptable.

Then the captain comes on the intercom and tells us a computer won't boot :-o

They were sticking the wings back on actually.

They send for an expert, and we eventually take off, an hour late.

Must be they used the fast drying type.

Not that we noticed, as the champagne continued to come around :-)

Yes life always seems better with a coupe de champagne in hand.....same goes for the pilot (steadies the old nerves when you are taking off with both wings stuck on with glue !)

A few minutes later the stewardess shows up again, unbidden, and apologizes for serving me the wrong champagne!

Damn right young lady and so you should !

Most posh Brits take faux-pas like that very seriously.

No it sounds like a great service.

Splaining it to the friendly customs officer later was another matter...

Really ?

Both in terms, did they refuse you to bring it in ?

And

Friendly ?

The rest of the flight was uneventful and we arrived home to gladly be slobbered on by our "poney"

Maybe the "pony" sniffed the champagne on your breath.

Classy doggy or is it horsey, you have there Raggy.

The end.

Bravo, bravo, bravo.

A thoroughly brilliant commentary on your sojourn.

We all loved it.

Great writing too.

Felt we were with you along every inch of the way (and hedgerow outside Petrus ! but besides that, it was bloomin' marvellous).

We all want to know where you are going next !

But if it's anything to do with tanks .......then email Butch privately and Lady V too.

Great job.

We rushed back to the apartment to avoid the fries getting soggy, and, once there, opened our €110 Pomerol to go with our €5 burgers! But damn, the combo made for a great dinner :-) .

It is sore when one falls off a seat onto the floor after being hit with some incredulous event that no-one can ever possibly imagine could happen.

A few minutes later the stewardess shows up again, unbidden, and apologizes for serving me the wrong champagne! For a second I wonder if we accidentally sat in first... Then she proceeds to present me with an entire, unopened bottle of the Castlenau, as way of apology. I assure her that there was no problem, but she insists I take it. And I do, thanking her. Splaining it to the friendly customs officer later was another matter...

Britain might not rule the waves anymore (more like a ferry service in the Med) but can still punch a hole in the sky when it comes to flying.

Many, many thanks for a fantastic travelogue...car hiring, parking shenanigans, hunt the ticket machine, b****r these road signs, tanks tanks and more tanks and to top it all..."hey, Petrus, have some of my own homebrew".

Reverie...in St Emilion enjoying a Ch Soutard...oh boy...living the dream. One of my favourite on the right bank...still have some '95...liquid velvet with a steak.

Edited by MACT

Hum's feeling incredible idle now.

It's funny Hum has been so busy finishing off upgrading work on his "pile" in the country but all the time he jotted away.

Now, the work is more manageable and now quietness beckons and jotting less so.

So please do not expect much (if any) jotting from Hum for a while.

Maybe a few posts on the xing especially if SD does not set up the blog again.

Come on Andreas.

What are the odds ehh ?

And certainly there will be no photos (of people that's for sure....maybe sun, sea...you know the type...that's assuming the internet can upload photos...).

SD will have been out of dry dock.

There is good news in that and bad news.....if they dont complete everything on time, will they be doing them on the xing with mechanical things not working, areas cordoned off, the smell of varnish sending passengers and crew "tripping" and all accompanied by "clunk, clunk, bang" sounds.

Whilst dining outside and sipping a Puligny-Montrachet premier cru will Hum's eyes alight upon a pair of greased up mechanics bending over something exposing their ample hairy buttocks above sagging baggy jeans !

No, not a pretty sight.

Will quite put Hum off the fine Bourgogne or the two poached eggs at breakfast.

And sailing conditions ?

Must keep an eye on them in the days leading up to departure for the High Seas.

So many good intentions to do stuff in Lisboa.

Visit a Fado restaurant and hear that amazing soulful singing...nothing quite like it.

Hum adores it.

Odd: Hum acknowledges that.

And certainly not everyone's cup of tea or vinho verde come to that.

Hum loves vv.......with olives....mmmm.

Just had a case delivered, matter of fact......yes it is an odd time of year to be drinking it but Hum ordered it in June !!

No it will probably end up strolling round the streets of the old part and standing outside clothes shops while Blondie shops.......and shops........and shops.

Look after yourself chums.

Hum's feeling incredible idle now.

It's funny Hum has been so busy finishing off upgrading work on his "pile" in the country but all the time he jotted away.

Now, the work is more manageable and now quietness beckons and jotting less so.

So please do not expect much (if any) jotting from Hum for a while.

Maybe a few posts on the xing especially if SD does not set up the blog again.

Come on Andreas.

What are the odds ehh ?

And certainly there will be no photos (of people that's for sure....maybe sun, sea...you know the type...that's assuming the internet can upload photos...).

SD will have been out of dry dock.

There is good news in that and bad news.....if they dont complete everything on time, will they be doing them on the xing with mechanical things not working, areas cordoned off, the smell of varnish sending passengers and crew "tripping" and all accompanied by "clunk, clunk, bang" sounds.

Whilst dining outside and sipping a Puligny-Montrachet premier cru will Hum's eyes alight upon a pair of greased up mechanics bending over something exposing their ample hairy buttocks above sagging baggy jeans !

No, not a pretty sight.

Will quite put Hum off the fine Bourgogne or the two poached eggs at breakfast.

And sailing conditions ?

Must keep an eye on them in the days leading up to departure for the High Seas.

So many good intentions to do stuff in Lisboa.

Visit a Fado restaurant and hear that amazing soulful singing...nothing quite like it.

Hum adores it.

Odd: Hum acknowledges that.

And certainly not everyone's cup of tea or vinho verde come to that.

Hum loves vv.......with olives....mmmm.

Just had a case delivered, matter of fact......yes it is an odd time of year to be drinking it but Hum ordered it in June !!

No it will probably end up strolling round the streets of the old part and standing outside clothes shops while Blondie shops.......and shops........and shops.

Look after yourself chums.

We will miss you while you are gone. Don't be gone long or else the SeaDream board will revert to one or two posts per week. Used to be Death Valley around here. Ta-ta.