Anchorage after 5:30pm--what to do?

vernema

Hi, We are arriving in mid-July via Norwegian Sun at Whittier on a Monday, and will take a private (non-Norwegian) 7 hr tour/transfer that eventually drops us off in Anchorage around 5:30pm. Since we don't fly out until 11:00pm that night, what activities do you suggest for 2 adults and an 8-yr-old after 5:30pm on a Monday? Many of the interesting looking activities/places that I've read about will be closed by 5pm or 6pm, so other than having dinner I'm at a bit of a loss for ideas. Thanks in advance for advice! Also, is there anywhere to safely leave our luggage?

You could bike or walk along the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail. Downtown Bicycle Rental is open until 10pm.

http://www.alaska-bike-rentals.com/default.aspx

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60880-d144676-Reviews-Tony_Knowles_Coastal_Trail-Anchorage_Alaska.html

The airport has been improving their passenger services including several new restaurants in the past few years. There is also a nice Native Art Display. If you depart at 11pm you’ll need to be there by 9pm or so. It can get congested during the summer. They do have luggage storage on the baggage claim level.

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/anc/travelerInfo/passengerSrvcs.shtml

I think the biggest issue will be your luggage. If they drop you at the airport you’ll need to get back downtown unless you just want to hang there. If the weather is decent you can take a walk around Lake Hood where the float planes take off from. It’s one of the busiest in the world. If they drop you downtown you might check with your private transfer to see if they have short-term storage options. Cabs between downtown and the airport are about $25. The sun won’t set until after 11pm mid-July. The sunsets while flying out of Anchorage can be very nice.

Instead of taking the tranfer, why not rent a car for the day? AVIS is your only option in Whittier. I know that the one-way drop off fees are high, but does it cost THAT much more than 3 transfers?

There's a ton of stuff to see and do between Whittier and Anchorage, especially with a kid ...... Wildlife Conservation Center, pan for gold at Bird Creek, Portage Lake/Glacier/Visitor Center. trails at Williwaw, Potters Marsh boardwalk, Alyeska resort and tram,etc . You could easily make a day of it, then drop off the car at 9pm.

http://www.alaska.org/guide/portage-valley

http://www.alaska.org/guide/turnagain-arm-drive

Especially with 3 people, I too suggest you rent a car. You can go to ALL the places included in your "tour", with the option of spending the amount of time YOU wish. There is plenty to see and do. There aren't any luggage storage options downtown in the evening. There is luggage storage at the airport. IF you continue with the tour, see if they can drop you at the airport, pay to store your bags then take a cab to where you want to spend the pm.

For the two cruisers who are flying out of Anchorage at night, you didn't say when your cruises were. Why?

We were in the same situation, that is, flying out of Anchorage at midnight. We were there late August and some one on these boards told us to make sure you sit on the left side of the plane. Why, to see the Northern Lights, of course. Well, we did change our seats, and to make a long story short, that night, we were treated to over an hours worth of Northern Lights viewing. even the Captain of the plane said that they were very active this particular night. So, if you happen to be in that situation, take this advice from some one who knows, and at least try and sit on the left side of the plane, just in case............

Cheers

Len

We will be there in early July, so probably the wrong time for northern lights. However, we have seats on the left side of the plane because I've heard there can sometimes be a view (weather permitting, of course) of Denali.

We will be there in early July, so probably the wrong time for northern lights. However, we have seats on the left side of the plane because I've heard there can sometimes be a view (weather permitting, of course) of Denali.

Twice when flying between Anchorage and Fairbanks the pilot deviated from the flight path and we flew a circle around Denali at about the same height as the mountain. Not sure they're doing it anymore.

Sitting on the left side going north from Anchorage to Fairbanks would give you good views of the mountain although heading south from Anchorage you'll only get a small glimpse of it from about 150 miles away.

No northern lights. You may get a look at Denali, although as already mentioned, miles away. Instead I always enjoy the view of the Arm and mountains along the way. It's all good. :)

Edited by Budget Queen

Any more suggestions for LATE night in Anchorage? Our midnight departure has changed and now we are leaving at 2:45 a.m. :eek: We plan to return our rental car around 12:30, then check in for our flight. Anything to do until then? Also, will gas stations be open 24/7 near the airport to refill the tank?

Any more suggestions for LATE night in Anchorage? Our midnight departure has changed and now we are leaving at 2:45 a.m. :eek: We plan to return our rental car around 12:30, then check in for our flight. Anything to do until then? Also, will gas stations be open 24/7 near the airport to refill the tank?

Almost all gas stations in Anchorage are 24 hour, especially if you are paying at the pump. At the corner of Minnesota & Spenard is a couple of gas stations which are both 24 hours.

You could drive up to the Glenn Alps parking lot. If the weather is clear it's a beautiful view. Or drive back down the Turnagain Arm some...

• 3 weeks later...

We will get into Anchorage at 5:30 Is there a better side of the plane to sit in for views of Denali or the Arm? I read here there was a place near the airport that moose might be at (somewhere that is "closed" but everyone goes to anyway. Does anyone know where that is? I'm not sure what we will do, as it is 9:30 at my home time, and we have the train to Seward at a very early hour the next day. Thanks.

We will get into Anchorage at 5:30 Is there a better side of the plane to sit in for views of Denali or the Arm? I read here there was a place near the airport that moose might be at (somewhere that is "closed" but everyone goes to anyway. Does anyone know where that is? I'm not sure what we will do' date=' as it is 9:30 at my home time, and we have the train to Seward at a very early hour the next day. Thanks.[/quote']It's unusual to see Denali when landing at Anchorage, as the approach from the southeast is usually facing Denali, so only the pilots can see it.

Sit on the right side of the plane for the best views of the Chugach mountains when arriving. Depending on the winds and landing direction you might make a 180-turn before short final at ANC, so you might get a glimpse of Denali from the right side of the plane as you turn - it will be a white bump on the horizon due north of the airport.

forgot to mention, there has always been music in the Town Square right in the middle of downtown that typically starts at 5 PM......with some food vendors as well as the reindeer hot dog sellers...M.A.'s is the best in my opinion....and he is parked in front of the federal park bld on 4th avenue....caddy corner from the visitor's log cabin...

We went to this restaurant while we were in Anchorage. It's quite unique. Appears to be an old gold mine, not sure if it really was, but we enjoyed the décor and a great meal, which included corn fritters. There is a show on the grounds and also a chocolate shop with a large chocolate fountain. Look at their web site to see if this may be something you would enjoy! We did and would go back, again!