Do you get travel insurance??

cmoose

Mine has international coverage but does that cover transport as well? For the injured as well as traveling party?their additional airfares? Delays? Hotel stay for the family while the injured is in the hospital? Just my thoughts

I still say travel insurance is money well spent to cover everyone. No worries.

We have health insurance through DH's employer, a MAJOR "big name" entity. (A name you would definitely recognize.)

It ONLY covers us within the USA or Canada.

Additional coverage is available (for a modest cost) for BUSINESS TRAVEL internationally, but that would NOT include me if I accompanied him.

And it does nothing for any travel for him that is not strictly business.

So yes, we NEED medical/health coverage for anything at all, such as a fall/broken bone, to something far more catastrophic...

And since most of our travel will be rather expensive [we are too old for coach seats on a 12+ hour flight to be even vaguely comfortable, as one example], yes, we want the additional (modest cost) *trip* insurance.

Sure, we could "lose what we already paid". But we'd want to reschedule as soon as possible, and not "in place of" another trip, but still in addition to all of the other plans.

It is the "peace of mind" factor for both trip costs and medical coverage.

But it is the medical and evac coverage that is the primary and mandatory (in our minds) insurance that is the basis for any such coverage.

GeezerCouple

Again, I think trip replacement insurance is generally a really bad deal, but that's me.

However, many have mentioned medical coverage. I have a fairly whitebread Blue Cross Blue Shield plan, and that covers me internationally. I've had other plans over the years, including strict HMOs. They--without exception--also covered me internationally, albeit not 100%.

Do people (well, US residents) really have plans that do not cover them outside of the country (I'm excluding evacuation here)? It seems that most carriers would be more than happy to pay $1000 for a seven day hospitalization overseas rather than what they would be paying out in the states.

If so, that would certainly be a valid argument for trip insurance. However, I'm finding it hard to believe most insurance carriers do not have an overseas provision of some sort.

My regular health insurance coves international expenses as out-of-network.

Again, I think trip replacement insurance is generally a really bad deal, but that's me.

So you spent $5000 for a cruise, plus possibly airfare, maybe hotels before/after. And then something comes up that you can't go, you get a major sickness or injury, or someone in the family gets deathly ill or even dies.

You do not think it would have been worth $130 - $150 to get the trip cancellation covered, so that at some later date you could book another similar trip. You would rather have pocketed the insurance premium and just be "out" the lost trip expenses. Then if you book another trip, just have to pay that out of pocket as well.

:confused:

So you spent $5000 for a cruise, plus possibly airfare, maybe hotels before/after. And then something comes up that you can't go, you get a major sickness or injury, or someone in the family gets deathly ill or even dies.

You do not think it would have been worth $130 - $150 to get the trip cancellation covered, so that at some later date you could book another similar trip. You would rather have pocketed the insurance premium and just be "out" the lost trip expenses. Then if you book another trip, just have to pay that out of pocket as well.

Insurance is always a bad deal. That's how the insurance company makes its profit. They charge you a lot more than the probabilities warrant.

The only question is whether you can afford to self insure. If you can, then you'll be ahead in the long run by declining the trip cancellation insurance.

We are in our late 60's. We always travel with insurance. Example; Our good Friend was scheduled to leave on a flight from Oklahoma City to Denver to catch a flight to Toronto to catch a flight to Copenhagen to join an 11 day Baltic. He went to the airport on time, boarded the plane on time and before the plane could leave the gate, TORNADO sirens went off. They had to leave the plane and go into shelters. The tornado came directly over the airport and damaged the plane. By the time he could rebook a new flight to Denver, all seats were taken for the next hours and next day. Planes missed, ship missed, He flies as a single, so lost everything because NO INSURANCE.

You're absolutely correct.

I'm not a novice traveler, though fairly new to cruising. I've suffered close to a million flight miles for work (domestic), and have traveled quite a bit off the beaten path worldwide for pleasure. I have a good sense for what can, and does, go wrong during travel. The travel insurance concept is new to me. It just seems like a racket aimed at an older demographic. (I'm not sure exactly how to say that without causing further offense).

My basic rule of thumb? If somebody is pushing some sort of insurance/warrantee (new car dealer, travel agent, Jiffy Lube professional, Best Buy salesman) it's most certinaly a big money maker for them. Or, stated another way, it's a bad deal for you.

You do not think it would have been worth $130 - $150 to get the trip cancellation covered, so that at some later date you could book another similar trip. You would rather have pocketed the insurance premium and just be "out" the lost trip expenses.

You're absolutely correct.

I'm not a novice traveler, though fairly new to cruising. I've suffered close to a million flight miles for work (domestic), and have traveled quite a bit off the beaten path worldwide for pleasure. I have a good sense for what can, and does, go wrong during travel. The travel insurance concept is new to me. It just seems like a racket aimed at an older demographic. (I'm not sure exactly how to say that without causing further offense).

My basic rule of thumb? If somebody is pushing some sort of insurance/warrantee (new car dealer, travel agent, Jiffy Lube professional, Best Buy salesman) it's most certinaly a big money maker for them. Or, stated another way, it's a bad deal for you.

I've seen/heard of quite a few younger individuals being medevaced off ships through the years along with the middle aged and older victims of heart attacks, etc. so don't assume it's just for the older crowd. In fact the younger ones who are doing the extreme sports (including excessive drinking) probably need it more!

That being said, those who have coverage through work probably don't need additional coverage so why pay double? I certainly wouldn't if I had the coverage already.

I'm sure a number of people can afford to "lose" a $5,000 trip - perhaps I could too, but apparently not with the kind of "oh well" attitude expressed here. I would be pissed! Rather than be pissed I chose to be ready (and I'm one who use to NOT take out the insurance - until I saw multiple individuals medevaced off one of our cruises last year). This appears to be one of those issues in which we will never all agree - but hey, if you have the money and you're a gambler…it's your money.

I guess the way I look at it, and others here, I know the odds are pretty low that I would need the insurance, cancellation or medical. But for the very relatively low cost of the insurance vs. what I spent for the entire trip, I think the insurance is worth it.

If I got hurt, or a weather event happened, or some other such issue that is covered under trip cancellation were to occur, sure, I'd be pissed that I was not going on my trip/cruise. But at least with the insurance, I'm gonna get my money back and can put that towards a similar trip at a later date. If I didn't have the insurance, not only would I be upset about missing the trip, I would also have the added stress of having paid thousands of dollars for NOTHING. So I'd rather know that, in the unlikely event something happens, I will be covered.

For our upcoming Alaska Cruise, I hesitated for a while and considered not getting the insurance. But to go all the way from Ft Laud to Anchorage, too many possible things could interfere. Besides, if I were to get hurt or sick while away from home, I have Primary Payer Medical Insurance, without worrying what my regular policy will or will not cover.

I would never NOT cruise without insurance. For our past cruises I have always taken out insurance with the cruise lines, which I now know is not the best insurance to get. For our upcoming Alaskan cruise I purchased insurance through insuremytrip.com. It was more costly BUT the coverage is BETTER. I need to be able to cancel and get 100% of my money back should I need to cancel. I will no longer purchase cruise line insurance.

I am amazed at how many posters are so willing and able to lose $5000

But refuse to spend $150

You posted earlier that you self insure many things, such as appliances. The cost of the appliances is greater than the extended warranties, so why don't you buy the extended warranty? Please explain how it is different from cancellation/interruption insurance?

Edited by dwjoe

You posted earlier that you self insure many things, such as appliances. The cost of the appliances is greater than the extended warranties, so why don't you buy the extended warranty? Please explain how it is different from cancellation/interruption insurance?

Because I amortize the cost if appliances that us why. And many parts are covered for 5 years My dishwasher for example had some problems before the 5 year manufacturers warranty was up and it was covered. So a $600 dishwasher lasted me 5 years and then it was covered anyway. Also I know full well that the warranty is basically the salesmanship commission. An warranties are widely know to be unneeded as it is a $600 item!!!! Not a $5000 plus trip that carries lots of what ifs. It should also be widely known by now that buying extra insurance on a car rental is crazy. Just call your credit card company or car I durance company about that little tidbit

Had the dishwasher been 7 years old I would have either opted to call my guy who charges $95 to diagnose or just buy a new one

Point is I got USE of the dishwasher.

A trip is much different

Anything could happen

A hurricaine could flood my basement. I won't leave home

A kid could take ill and the doc says no cruise. I stay home

An immediate non traveling family member could take ill or worse. I don't leave home

The car breaks down on the way to the airport or ship. I miss the cruise

And lets not even bother to rehash the emergency evac and medical benefits of trAvel insurance and it is best to see travel insurance as catastrophic insurance similar to an umbrella policy.

So please don't compare a $600 dishwasher that is not a crisis to fix to the real possibilities we all face when spending $5000 plus to travel

Remember penny wise. Pound foolish

I also think that the posters who are so fast to write off $5000 are well I don't know how to describe them

Edited by Crusin6

May I just add one more time that to compare a $600 dishwasher to a $5000 cruise is ridiculous

Who needs to insure against a $600 loss that is probably already covered by the manufacturer?

Apples. Oranges.

I have more pressing issues right now so feel free to not insure I always will

Because I amortize the cost if appliances that us why. And many parts are covered for 5 years My dishwasher for example had some problems before the 5 year manufacturers warranty was up and it was covered. So a $600 dishwasher lasted me 5 years and then it was covered anyway. Also I know full well that the warranty is basically the salesmanship commission. An warranties are widely know to be unneeded as it is a $600 item!!!! Not a $5000 plus trip that carries lots of what ifs. It should also be widely known by now that buying extra insurance on a car rental is crazy. Just call your credit card company or car I durance company about that little tidbit

Had the dishwasher been 7 years old I would have either opted to call my guy who charges $95 to diagnose or just buy a new one

A trip is much different

Anything could happen

An immediate non traveling family member could take ill or worse. I don't leave home

And lets not even bother to rehash the emergency evac and medical benefits of trAvel insurance and it is best to see travel insurance as catastrophic insurance similar to an umbrella policy.

So please don't compare a $600 dishwasher that is not a crisis to fix to the real possibilities we all face when spending $5000 plus to travel

Remember penny wise. Pound foolish

I also think that the posters who are so fast to write off $5000 are well I don't know how to describe them

Well said.

Well said.

Thanks. But I probably should have said depreciate the cost of appliances as it is tangible personal property! Lol

Amortization is for intangible costs! Lol

Just sayin as we are all geniuses on this board! Again lol

A trip is much different

If you pass up cancelation/interruption insurance over many cruises it will eventually add up to another cruise. You can self insure for that just the same as for appliances. The amortization principle is the same and the more you cruise the more it makes sense. The only thing different is the amount involved. So it comes down to what amount you're comfortable taking personal responsibility for, as opposed to paying extra for someone else to assume the risk.

Anything could happen

Yes, but when we're talking about about trip

In all the cases you've cited your loss is the cruise and/or the cost of a trip home. That's not a catastrophe. Trip cancelation and interruption insurance is not catastrophic insurance. I've already stated several times that medical and evac insurance is in a different category.

Thanks for keeping it civil.

Edited by dwjoe

• 1 month later...

We have now traveled 14-16 cruises: Used our trip insurance twice: Once for missing boat out of NY ( Bad snow storm): Flew to St. Thomas and waited at nice motel for the ship to catch up with us: 2nd time was much worse : Flew to San Diego to do Mexican Rev... Again missed the boat: Not our fault: This one was scary: Had to be flown into Guadaljara (sp). Then over the mountains to Acapulca: We don't speak Spanish: We don't like being surrounded by guns and soldiers: Again took two days for ship to catch up: Hotel was great but armed guards and jeeps with mounted "cannons" pointed at everyone on the beach was not fun: Yes we had insurance .Yes we were reimbursed: Yes we had credit cards but won't ever go back to that side of Mexico again::(

Yes. Absolutely. I've no medical issues either, yet I had an unexpected medical emergency in February which left me unable to take a cruise I'd booked with friends that sailed a few days later. I was very glad I had insurance and wasn't out all of my cash. (I am still waiting for the check though.)

Yes I do every time. Only used it once... When I went to the ship dr. Didn't get a ton back... But if I hadn't had it I would've just suffered and had a lousy trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 8 months later...

We always get insurance, too. You never know what will happen. I'm not sure if you guys know this or not, but the insurance actually kicks in 3 months before the cruise. if you don't have the insurance within these three months then you will get partial money back. if you have to cancel. The insurance guarantees 100% back. Also, I've used the insurance one time in Italy. My camera was jammed between me and the seat when the tour bus driver stopped short. We were okay, but my $3,000 camera was not. That time the insurance paid for itself.

I've read a lot of these responses (not all nine pages worth), and thought I would add my own position to the pot.

I travel a great deal. Two cruises a year, and probably a dozen or more other trips, mostly domestic, but occasionally internationally.

I have a comprehensive medical evacuation and transport policy through MedJetAssist that will cover transport back home with appropriate medical support from anywhere in the world, once deemed safe and medically appropriate (translation: there isn't a plan anywhere that's going to medflight you off a cruise ship in a storm).

I have reviewed my health insurance policy, and have full confidence that I am covered from international and out of market medical expenses. I also understand this coverage is as a reimbursement. In other words, medical care provided elsewhere will be paid by me, and reimbursed by my insurance company. I have the assets available to cover this expense on an interim basis.

With all that in mind, there are know "unknown expenses" I need to worry about.

What that leaves to possibly insure is the loss of the cost of a trip itself. As such, I have determined that it is not a worthwhile investment for me to pay for travel insurance to cover the costs. I do not consider it "losing" money, because I was going to no longer have it anyway. In other words, if I spend $4,000 on a cruise and have to cancel last minute, I'll be disappointed I missed out on my vacation, but I will be no poorer than if I had gone.

As such, I have determined that putting the cost of those policies into other investment vehicles makes better sense for my financial portfolio. To date, I have not had to cancel any major trips (a hotel stay here and there, and a couple flights- which with a $100 cancellation fee, were converted to a credit for future use). Perhaps one of these days I will have to, and I will be out $4,000. But, over the course of five to ten years, with dozens of trips a year, I am confident that the long term financial impact is neutral

I respect that some people like the "peace of mind" that comes from having that coverage. If that peace of mind is important to you, then by all means, go ahead. I have decided that being self-insured for the cost of a trip is the best move for me.

We always get insurance, too. You never know what will happen. I'm not sure if you guys know this or not, but the insurance actually kicks in 3 months before the cruise. if you don't have the insurance within these three months then you will get partial money back. if you have to cancel. The insurance guarantees 100% back. Also, I've used the insurance one time in Italy. My camera was jammed between me and the seat when the tour bus driver stopped short. We were okay, but my $3,000 camera was not. That time the insurance paid for itself.

I'm not sure what insurance you are referring to about "kicking in 3 months before", but don't generalize from whatever specific policy terms you have to what other's policies cover.

As always, everyone should carefully read the terms of their own policy.

All policies we've looked into would cover any covered expenses (that's what "cover" means, after all) as soon as the policy is in force and the expenses incurred per the terms of the specific policy.

So, for example, if we have a trip in 6 months, and purchase non-refundable air tickets and get the insurance within the (in our case) 21 days, then if we need to cancel 5 months in advance or 1 month in advance, for covered reasons, then we'd get our money back.

There's nothing magical about "3 months before the trip", at least not in general for all insurance.

The bottom line, usually, is that the insurance "kicks in" when the initial premium is paid and the coverage period/expenses begin.

GeezerCouple

Sorry, didn't say it is on NCL. I was just told that if you book on NCL, you can purchase your insurance 3 months prior to sailing and it will cover from 3 months of cancellation to after the cruise. ie, if we are taking a cruise on NCL in Sept of 2017, we can purchase the insurance as late as July 1, 2017 to cover any cancellations upon sickness, etc. July 2nd, there is a break down of percentages on how you get your money back. If you purchase the insurance, you are covered for let's say you have and injury or sickness and can't go. We take it because we never know what will happen. Also, I had to use it in Italy because bus tour driver stopped short and my camera jammed between the seat in front of me. A$3000 plus Pro Nikon camera was covered and the repairs covered the insurance, then some. Sorry if I generalized about insurance, but that is all I know since I only cruise NCL.