Getaway vs. Oasis for kids

kaylie44

My husband and I went on the Oasis of the Seas in 2012 and absolutely loved it! We are cruising in April and bringing our 3 kids (5, 7 & 9) along for their first cruise ever on the Getaway. I chose the getaway over Oasis because I felt like while the Oasis was great for my husband and I we noticed that our kids would not meet the height and weight requirements on some of the activities. While the Getaway seems to offer more for them with the Slides, rope course, trampoline etc. I have never been on NCL only Royal Caribbean and Carnival (which I will never do again). So my question... Is NCL comparable to Royal Caribbean or will nothing live up to the Oasis? Just want to prepare myself and adjust my expectations. I know we will have a great vacation no matter what but just want to know what to expect. Thank you in advance for your opinion:)

We've been on the Allure and NCL Epic with the kids (going on Getaway this weekend) and when I asked my kids about the 2 ships, they had no preference, they had loads of fun on both. The only thing that tipped the scales for them was the 5 water slides on NCL...as you know there are no slides on RCL. My kids are 10 and 12 and love the kids club on both ships as well. Hope this helps!

Edited: and personally, I like both cruise lines equally, I don't think one is better than the other. There are things I like on one that aren't on the other, but since there is so much I like on both lines it evens it out for me.

Edited by Kdiamond55

Thanks so much! That is what I was hoping to hear:). My kids are small for their age so they would not have been able to do the zip line on Oasis. Maybe when they get a little older we will take them. My older two are very adventurous boys so the slides and rope course should be perfect for them. They do not meet the weight requirement for the free fall slides but at least they can do the other three. My 7 year old is 48" so he just makes the requirement for the rope course. On the other hand my 5 year old daughter will be just happy with the small slide, trampoline and small rope course (she is more hesitant then the boys although she did go on Tower of Terror when she was 4 and loved it).

Thanks,

Monique

We have been on the Oasis (and Allure) and while we had a great time on both, we actually liked the Epic better than the Oasis. We sailed on both within three months of each other. Your kids will have a great time on the Getaway.

Have been both as well - all 4 of my kids adored both and had a blast. Water slides are a HUGE draw though for NCL and I like freestyle concept with kids. The option of having dinner at 6 pm one night and 8 pm the next and not dressing up is really appealing. I will say I think Oasis/Allure are better equipped to handle more kids on board than NCL though...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Kaylie44,

Your post caught my eye. We are taking 3 of our Grandkids on their 1st cruise June 14th. Their ages are the same as your kids, 5,7,9 and one's name is KayLee. LOL. I will be anxiously awaiting your review. We have been on several cruises but never with young ones. Our daughters were in their early teens when we started cruising.

We Have done both Allure and Epic. My kids are 12 and 9 they have been on 7 cruises this will make magic number 8.

For this years cruise we decided between Oasis and Getaway. The prices were similar lower for Getaway but we know we will have extras and thats okay.

The slides, my kids LOVE them and since I won't do Carnival and RCCL doesn't have any, NCL it is. The rope course also looks like my kids idea of heaven. They really don't enjoy the ice rink. The ice shows are different but the same after the first 4 you get tired of them.

The dining on NCL is fantastic we love the specially restaurants so much. My Kids still talk about the Brazilian steak house. NCL encourages kids and they are 1/2 price. RCCL only lets them in during certain times and really its frowned upon.

Small thing but real ice cream at lunch not just soft serve and crepes in the evening are another happy point for NCL.

A couple of years we did Freedom twice and found the 2nd time around it lost some of the magic. I would worry that doing Oasis right after Allure would be much the same.

Now on RCCL you will or I have heard people dissing NCL. They had dissed it so much my DH didn't have very high expectations for our Epic cruise. Yes there are things you pay for like specialty dinning, Yes IMO NCL main dining room is slower and had less options to make the specially dinning more appealing. If you like having the same waiter that has your drink waiting for you when you sit then you might not like NCL. If you like a little bit more freedom and to not feel tired to a table you will love NCL.

My DD misses the "formal" nights so we pick a couple of night and dress up. Not a big deal on any given day you will see everything from shorts to Tuxes.

Kids clubs are the same or better on NCL. It seems to me to have better hours not as great as Disney's but better than RCCL.

I will say the staff do learn who you are. One the first day the sports staff learned my kids and always said hi to them. My DD have very sensitive skin. In Kids club they did the coolest face painting I have ever seen on both kids. When we picked Zoe up she said I want to wash it off it itches. Sure okay. DS wore his all day long. Well the black gave her a chemical burn on her face. She was mortified being 11. We dressed her wound and she was wearing a hat and moms big sunglasses when we left the ship for St Thomas. She didn't want to go anywhere worried about how she looked.

She looked like she was getting a tribal tattoo on her face. Well the hot pool guy was on the dock he came up to us greeted us and noticed Zoe's face he was immediately concerned tried to call the ship. I explained my DH is a DR and we know how to treat it. He them told her she looked "cool" and "tough" and she should tell her friends she was going to get a tribal tattoo but her mom stopped her." Same things we told her but coming from a hot young man made all the difference.

If fact the next day someone did notice and called the ship DR. He came up to us at the pool and we explained everything again. So you know they do watch and care for their guests. It really impressed me.

No she did not scar. Yes this has happened before with sharpie marker on her chest. She is a swimmer and they tend to draw all over themselves at meets.

My husband and I went on the Oasis of the Seas in 2012 and absolutely loved it! We are cruising in April and bringing our 3 kids (5, 7 & 9) along for their first cruise ever on the Getaway. I chose the getaway over Oasis because I felt like while the Oasis was great for my husband and I we noticed that our kids would not meet the height and weight requirements on some of the activities. While the Getaway seems to offer more for them with the Slides, rope course, trampoline etc. I have never been on NCL only Royal Caribbean and Carnival (which I will never do again). So my question... Is NCL comparable to Royal Caribbean or will nothing live up to the Oasis? Just want to prepare myself and adjust my expectations. I know we will have a great vacation no matter what but just want to know what to expect. Thank you in advance for your opinion:)

I can't wait to read your review when you get back!

I just booked yesterday and this will be our first ever Family Vacation in Dec., right before X-Mas on the Getaway. My wife and I have gone once a year for the past three now and I am hooked, but I have always felt guilty not taking my two sons, SO when I told them this Dec. we are all going I have never seen my two Boys (age 9 & 13) so excited!