Riviera vs Regatta

wrl001

Just sailed on Riviera (and O) for the first time last month. Had such a wonderful time that we booked another O cruise on Regatta next year to Alaska. I am worried that the ship is really too small. The DW and I like to hang out on the ship. What are the main differences and concerns. Thanks

You will find many here who prefer the smaller ships. How you define "too small" I guess is something that only you can do. DH and I prefer somethings on the "O" class ships and others on the "R" class ships. He tends to prefer the smaller ships somewhat more than I do. My main reason for leaning towards the "O" ships is the extra dining possibilities, but they aren't crucial to me.

I find the size of Regatta and her sisters very comfortable and it has just about everything we want (especially the library, my favorite space on the ship).

Mura

I am one of the devoted fans of the R class ships. I prefer them and have even booked with Azamara to get the R class ship experience. I think the O class ships are too big and less intimate, although they are beautiful and the staterooms are nicer.

We do not care about the extra dining venues. We prefer having about 1/2 the number of passengers for a more intimate experience. Now that the R ships are being refurbished to add the grill in Terrace Restaurant (where we eat most of our meals -- we avoid the GDR) and a coffee venue (I'm a latte addict), they will be just about perfect. The ONLY thing about the O ships I would miss is the cooking classes.

Our first two cruises were on the "R" ship Regatta. In fact, the very first was to Alaska and that's when we fell in love with Oceania. We then took Riviera last Fall to the Caribbean and enjoyed it very much.

Main differences for us were the additional dining venues which we enjoyed and the stateroom (we had PH) was much larger. The modern decor made Regatta look dated, although we never felt that when on board. With the refurbishments coming this Spring and the addition of the grill, that difference is negated.

Having said that, we have now booked two more cruises on Regatta and her sister Insignia and can't wait. We find that we have made more friends and enjoyed more interaction with people on the smaller ships. Neither of us can imagine going on any ship with more than 1200 people now!

Even though the Riviera is beautiful, I prefer the smaller ships because of fewer passengers which makes it easier to connect and helps tremendously in ports. The one thing you should be prepared for is the smaller bathroom in the regular suites. I sailed Riviera in January and just booked Insignia for 35 days next year, although I felt I had to have a penthouse. The "R" ships are great.

I am one of the devoted fans of the R class ships. I prefer them and have even booked with Azamara to get the R class ship experience. I think the O class ships are too big and less intimate, although they are beautiful and the staterooms are nicer.

We do not care about the extra dining venues. We prefer having about 1/2 the number of passengers for a more intimate experience. Now that the R ships are being refurbished to add the grill in Terrace Restaurant (where we eat most of our meals -- we avoid the GDR) and a coffee venue (I'm a latte addict), they will be just about perfect. The ONLY thing about the O ships I would miss is the cooking classes.

We will be on our first Oceania cruise later this year, on the fall foliage cruise. The ship is the Regatta. Can you point me to any information about the refurbishing of the Regatta? This is new info and would like to further explore what will be done. Thanks

We will be on our first Oceania cruise later this year, on the fall foliage cruise. The ship is the Regatta. Can you point me to any information about the refurbishing of the Regatta? This is new info and would like to further explore what will be done. Thanks

You can view the details on O website

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/corporate/mediacenter.aspx

look at the Nov 21 2013 announcement

Edited by LHT28

Had such a wonderful time that we booked another O cruise on Regatta next year to Alaska. I am worried that the ship is really too small. The DW and I like to hang out on the ship.

I was on Regatta to Alaska last May. You won't want to hang out on the ship while it's in port in Alaska. Too much to see and do!

But during times between ports, there are lots of comfortable lounges on the pool deck. No chair hogs on that cruise!

And for lunch and dinner, don't miss eating outside on the Terrace Cafe aft deck. Gorgeous views!

I haven't been on the larger O ships yet. I find the Regatta to be comfortable and uncrowded.