Roatan with Norwegian

lbt43

Hi all, going to Roatan with the Pearl in a few weeks. What are some good things to do here without the cruise line? Even with the cruise line if you have a can't miss? What about something a bit off the beaten path??

I also was there in Jan 2013 and we loved it. It seems that they are letting Carnival book excursions with them now but they are limited to only one of the beaches on the island (what's to keep them from wandering?).

I would check what ships are in Roatan the day you are going. The 'occupancy' has risen from 88 when I was there to 225 now it seems. To be fair, they have continued to develop the island and it appears to me from videos and recent pics that they have 'built' more beaches around the perimeter than when I was there, so maybe it will comfortably support that many people.

You can see my review of LFK in my Star Jan '13 review in my signature.

Victor Bodden tours. You are the boss and do what you want and for how long. We had a fantastic guide in Kayla. We took our girls to see the monkeys (A+!) and the butterfly farm (meh - take or leave, not as nice as Bodden's monkeys), and a tour of the island. We even stopped at a grocery store to check things out. Bought some snacks and had a great tour. Would do again without a second thought.

I second the recommendation for Maya Key- we are looking forward to our third visit this year- the kids keep picking Western Caribbean itineraries just for this place- the snorkeling is excellent and very easy to do from the pier (my kids were 6 and 4 on the first visit and could do it easily).

My favorite places there so far were Little French Key and Maya Key. I have complete reviews in my signature line if you are interested. There are tons of pictures. :)

Hey Mits, thanks for this. I have been reviewing it. Can you tell me if you think these places are more family and kid oriented?

I second the recommendation for Maya Key- we are looking forward to our third visit this year- the kids keep picking Western Caribbean itineraries just for this place- the snorkeling is excellent and very easy to do from the pier (my kids were 6 and 4 on the first visit and could do it easily).

Maybe I should clarify that we are two adults with no kids.

I would say these places have a little bit of everything, whether you are a kid or not. The kids love the animals at both places, but yet so do adults. :)

I honestly have to say that I didn't notice very many kids at either but if I had to chose which had less, I would say it was Little French Key.

They are both real laid back relaxing places and not the "party" scene or anything. The big advantage to Maya Key is the snorkeling there if you like that.

I would say these places have a little bit of everything, whether you are a kid or not. The kids love the animals at both places, but yet so do adults. :)

I honestly have to say that I didn't notice very many kids at either but if I had to chose which had less, I would say it was Little French Key.

They are both real laid back relaxing places and not the "party" scene or anything. The big advantage to Maya Key is the snorkeling there if you like that.

Yeah, I think we are going to Maya it. Looking forward to it! I hear we must do it via the cruise line. Is that true no outside tours? Seems like a weird thing to HAVE to do it via cruise line....

Yeah, I think we are going to Maya it. Looking forward to it! I hear we must do it via the cruise line. Is that true no outside tours? Seems like a weird thing to HAVE to do it via cruise line....

Yep, the only way to book this place is by using your cruise line. On a good note, according to your signature, it looks like you are a NCL cruiser...so your rate will actually be cheaper than other cruise ships. :) I'm not sure why the others seem to charge more for the exact same thing.