Mattresses on the Grand

tjcletsgo

Guest USC Traveler

i was on the grand to alaska last september and the mattress was a new one and i didn't need a topper at all. i was in a mini-suite on emerald deck. the ship was fabulous! the crew, the food and the ports were all wonderful. enjoy your "grand" cruise.

cheers

We were on the Grand in January. The mattress in E310 was old, lumpy and just plain horrible. My back is just now recovering!

Seriously I was in so much pain, I was counting the nights we had left. I considered sleeping sitting up in the chair. This was the worst mattress in 15 cruises with Princess.

I am almost afraid to book the Star for October. :eek:

Cheers, Denise

We were on the Grand in January. The mattress in E310 was old, lumpy and just plain horrible. My back is just now recovering!

Seriously I was in so much pain, I was counting the nights we had left. I considered sleeping sitting up in the chair. This was the worst mattress in 15 cruises with Princess.

Cheers, Denise

Ohhhhhh, not good!

We are on Dolphin deck in a mini and the beds have been fine for me and I believe they are upgraded. I am usually very sensitive and the last cruise we took left me feeling like I needed traction! I haven't any problems at all but my husband doesn't love the beds. He does feel they are an improvement from last time though. My son's who are sharing our mini say the sofa bed is much more comfortable than the bunk.

You can still request foam toppers which could help.

Did I have the only cabin with an old mattress? I have never minded any Princess bed but this one was the bed from your worst nightmare. :eek: what I would have given for a firm mattress. I actually asked if they had any boards for under the mattress. LOL!

Cheers, Denise

Edited by dchip

I will be on the Grand doing the California Coastal that ends the day you all embark for Hawaii. I hope the mattresses are better than those on the Diamond during our late December cruise.

Mattress replacement on all the fleet is an ongoing process.

Sometimes they are all replaced in a drydock but very rarely.

With Pam repeatedly posting the picture of the mattress she has been graced with in every room for the past two years, I have yet to be graced by the same matrress fairy in any of the Princess rooms we have experienced to date.

I wish there was an icon on the deck plan showing which rooms have been upgraded to assist with room selection but that will never happen.

Just got off the Grand last Saturday from a California Coastal. I found the mattress in our cabin on Dolphin Deck mini-suite to be very comfortable. They seemed new. They weren't soft like previous mattresses, nor were they firm. For me and the wife, they were very clean and comfortable. Hope this helps.

Rich

Edited by chevytrkr

With Pam repeatedly posting the picture of the mattress she has been graced with in every room for the past two years, I have yet to be graced by the same matrress fairy in any of the Princess rooms we have experienced to date.

I have only limited luck in that dept too! Facing far more bad ones then good ones.

I wish there was an icon on the deck plan showing which rooms have been upgraded to assist with room selection but that will never happen.

Even if there was a symbol its would have been eliminated by now, you can't even figure out if the stateroom hold 3/4 passengers as they have removed the symbol on some of the deck plans. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Cheers, Denise

My husband and I have cruised with Princess, HAL, and Celebrity. Three cruises with Princess and all three times the mattress was awful! Lumpy for sure. We did get a topper, but sorry, that does not make a difference when the springs are broken down. On the Diamond Princess, (1.5yrs ago), the bed was so bad, that I took the sheets off to show the Head Housekeeper....and he agreed, big deep dip in the middle.

That being said, I love everything else about Princess, especially their food venues and in particular, the International Cafe. And also enjoy their live music venues.

But if I cruise with them in the future, I will absolutely contact Ship's Special Services and my TA to make sure our bed has a reasonably new mattress!. Losing sleep is a terrible way to spend a long awaited vacation.