Gopro users

scubaman

I will be sailing on the magic and planning on taking my gopro hero 3 black edition. I need tips on what accessories I will need to get. Planning on taking it scuba diving and wanted to try some time lapse videos. Any suggestions?

I work at a ski area and we have a whole box of lost GoPros. The smartest thing the kids do is put their phone number on a piece of tape and place the tape inside on the battery.

Those are the only ones that get returned quickly.

Of course if you lose yours in ocean this won't help.

I'm not scuba-diving with mine (yet!)

but I did wish I'd bought one of those pole things you can stick the camera on

to position it some distance away from you.

A guy on board the ship also showed me a bright-yellow "floaty" handle-thing

(not made by GoPro) for general underwater/surf handling of the camera.

If the camera gets away from you, it floats -and it floats bright yellow so you can find it back!

* Any Micro-SD cards you get MUST be "Class 10" no less..

Edited by Aplmac

I want to do some time-lapse of the ship leaving port etc so I'm looking for a magnetic mount. They have a 50-65 lb pull strength. Stick it to the metal of the ship and get great shots.

Sent from my wonderful iPhone 5 using the fabulous Cruise Critic app.

Edited by MamallamaAndDaddy

I took my Hero3 Black on the Freedom, May 2013:St.Thomas, Antigua, Tortola & Nassau

and again on the Victory, Sept 2013:Ocho Rios & Gr Cayman

http://youtu.be/Xj-dZI3AKJA

I have a 32g SanDisk card (make sure you have 2 for ease) the standard Li-Ion batt with the BacPack. You need to have an external hard drive bc your footage everyday will EAT your computer hard drives capacity QUICK! Make sure you take an electrical strip for all of the chargers/computer/accessories.

My setup is on the acrylic GoPole. It hides better than the extendable kind which makes for a better video. Drawback is the fixed length does make it cumbersome for transport when not in use. The extendable pole has a bad review about at the max length, the camera is too heavy to support (standard setup, not even the BacPack setup). Evidently it twists to lock into place & in certain positions, the camera weight causes it to unlock. I rigged (safety-wire & a shower hook) the camera to the pole. I am stupid paranoid about the thumbscrew backing out & losing the camera off of the pole. Especially underwater & parasailing.

I just recently had to send my Hero3 Black to GoPro to be replaced. It quit powering up within a year. So any glitches at all, call GoPro immediately. I have another cruise aboard the Breeze in October with my boys. It's their 1st so I HAVE to get good shots of them. Good luck!

Videos have blocked content :-(
Which videos? The ones that ReAnne Forcer posted, directly above?

I clicked on both links and her videos, but they weren't the ones she described.

That was the only problem I had.

I clicked on both links and her videos, but they weren't the ones she described.

I can see the videos and they are the ones she described. Cruise stuff started a few mins into the video.

Thanks for sharing!

They are good links..you might have not watched all the way..the first one starts off with their wedding and then goes into their honeymoon cruise.. excellent videos..

They are good links..you might have not watched all the way..

the first one starts off with their wedding and then goes into their honeymoon cruise.. excellent videos..

Short attention span, sorry. :)

If I don't see cruise stuff (as advertised) in 30 secs...

Meh..

I bought a GoPro Hero 3 black last August. Below lists the mounts and accessories I have that did and will come in handy for my 2013 cruise and future use. Do not use the el-cheapo one you can get for an Iphone, it takes a lot longer to charge and can ONLY charge one at a time......

Wall charger

Head strap (when I bought it)

Extra battery (when I bought it)

Battery back pack (when I bought it)

LCD back pack (when I bought it)

The Frame

GoPole Reach

GoPole Bobber

Floaty Back Door

Jaws Flex Clamp

I want to get the chesty harness, wrist strap, suction cup, and the skeleton housing that exposes the charging ports.

Battery back pack has to charge on it's own and DO NOT leave the LCD back pack on, it drains the battery cuz you'll forget to shut it off. They say you can charge it with it attached to the camera, but it takes double or MORE time to charge. If and when you do get it, I urge you to check out Mic Bergsma GoPro tips on You Tube, there are 300ish tips at present. He will tell you everything you need to know and all the hints and tips--such as never keep the camera in the skeleton housing all the time to preserve the waterproof seal, or how to clean the cases, and even the settings to optimize what you shoot.....

I bought mine 10 days before I left, and then over the next eight days I bought the LCD and Battery back packs. I didn't have much chance to use it before I left, or learn how to use it properly, so I didn't get as much video as I wanted to and never got a chance to go snorkelling with it....

I know enough about it to use it right, alas, I now just have to wait 171 days to get some power use out of it....

I took my Hero3 Black on the Freedom, May 2013:St.Thomas, Antigua, Tortola & Nassau

and again on the Victory, Sept 2013:Ocho Rios & Gr Cayman

http://youtu.be/Xj-dZI3AKJA

I have a 32g SanDisk card (make sure you have 2 for ease) the standard Li-Ion batt with the BacPack. You need to have an external hard drive bc your footage everyday will EAT your computer hard drives capacity QUICK! Make sure you take an electrical strip for all of the chargers/computer/accessories.

My setup is on the acrylic GoPole. It hides better than the extendable kind which makes for a better video. Drawback is the fixed length does make it cumbersome for transport when not in use. The extendable pole has a bad review about at the max length, the camera is too heavy to support (standard setup, not even the BacPack setup). Evidently it twists to lock into place & in certain positions, the camera weight causes it to unlock. I rigged (safety-wire & a shower hook) the camera to the pole. I am stupid paranoid about the thumbscrew backing out & losing the camera off of the pole. Especially underwater & parasailing.

I just recently had to send my Hero3 Black to GoPro to be replaced. It quit powering up within a year. So any glitches at all, call GoPro immediately. I have another cruise aboard the Breeze in October with my boys. It's their 1st so I HAVE to get good shots of them. Good luck!

GREAT videos you guys look great! looking forward to more videos, Thanks for sharing your life and journey

Just back from the Carnival Freedom on Sunday. It was fantastic!

Let me start by saying that this was my 8th cruise (5th on Carnival) and it was by far the best. Carnival has really stepped up their game and placed thought into many areas.

All my pics are on a you-tube video folks. Here is the link

Just back from the Carnival Freedom on Sunday. It was fantastic!

Let me start by saying that this was my 8th cruise (5th on Carnival) and it was by far the best. Carnival has really stepped up their game and placed thought into many areas.

All my pics are on a you-tube video folks. Here is the link

Nice video!

Sent from my wonderful iPhone 5 using the fabulous Cruise Critic app.

Personally, the clamp came in handy the most on our last cruise. Clamped it to the rail for sailaways, the roll bar on an ATV, a side rail on a sailboat, etc. I used the chest mount while snorkeling, but I'll use a wand or pole in the future for that.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Tapatalk