Spring Break Cruising

We both work for the public schools and are thinking about traveling on Triumph on April 8, 2006. Anyone have any past experiences with Spring Break cruises? I'm relatively patient with kids--especially the middle and high schoolers, but I've also never cruised with them! Thanks for your help!

several times and have never had a problem. Actually, one of the busiest holidays for children is Thanksgiving (according to several Camp Carnival Counselors).

We have been on a ship with as many as 800 children and for that large of number...there really was never a problem.

The Alaskan cruise was just got off of only had 150 children and we were more aware of them because there was a couple of large family "events" with children under the age of 6 left unattended until midnight. But to be perfectly honest, several of the times I had to rescue the equipment on the stage from this 5 year old....his parents were right there...saying nothing.

Big surprise. As I have always said....there are no ill mannered children...only ignorant parents.

DH and I have no children but would gladly go with Spring Breakers, as long as they are NOT on college Spring Break. I am mid 30's and can party with the best of them but not in my cabin. There are lots of venues where I am not disturbing fellow pax who are trying to sleep. Not all college age adults are like this, of course, but we encountered enough to stay away from any cruise or land vacation likely to have a high concentration.

I was on the Diamond Princess during college and public school spring break last March. Yes, there was an above-normal number of college students, and also a quite large number of kids/families. However, we honestly did not once encounter anyone behaving out of control or causing ruckus. We were never woken up during the night, and never witnessed any drunken escapades or obnoxious behavior. I was actually very shocked at the "mildness" of the entire cruise, and our balcony cabin was neighbored by spring breakers also with balconies...never witnessed anything other than an overly friendly/silly pack of frat brothers who liked to chat with the old people. (Not really, I'm being sarcastic - but they were always out on their balcony striking up random conversations that probably scared the older crowd haha)

Yes, I was only 23 on that cruise and I was on spring break from college...but I'm also married, and I was traveling on a "girls' week out" trip with my mom and my girl friend. I certainly wasn't there to party, but since I'm of the "party age", I definitely noticed what was going on around me. Yes, there was quite a bit of drinking, but I what was most noticeable to me was that it really was confined to the bars, pool areas, and lounges. Probably in the cabins, too--but I never heard it.

PS--I realize my experience may have been atypical, but just wanted to share that it *can* be good. Even my VERY conservative 52-yr-old mother was not at all offended by what was going on. All the college spring breakers dressed to the nines for formal nights, and my mom enjoyed the company of the younger people she chatted with on occasion. Also, there was a gigantic group from USC on board, and though they traveled as a pack for the most part, and were maybe a tiny bit louder than others, they were really, as a whole, quite tame.

Sorry if I offened, Jimbug. Not my intention at all. Unfortunately, our neighbors were quite rude and loud. They left their door cracked to let their friends in but it also let A LOT of noise out. If their door was closed we heard nothing, if left open we heard EVERYTHING. Let them have fun, we did not care but we had to call every night, sometimes repeatedly, to get them to SHUT THE DOOR. This also happened on a land vacation to Cabo. I'm not grumpy but I gotta get some sleep so I can have fun the next day.:D

hipquest,

No offense taken at all! Just hoping to show the OP that spring break cruising is not all bad. As a matter of fact, on our Alaska cruise, aside from the crotchety old folks who griped non-stop, the most obnoxious group on our trip were in their early 20s. Drunk all the time and attempting to take over every venue or event by being loud and outspoken.

hipquest,

No offense taken at all! Just hoping to show the OP that spring break cruising is not all bad. As a matter of fact, on our Alaska cruise, aside from the crotchety old folks who griped non-stop, the most obnoxious group on our trip were in their early 20s. Drunk all the time and attempting to take over every venue or event by being loud and outspoken.

I guess there are just lots of ME, ME, ME people out there, regardless of age. I know for future cruises/trips I will be VERY direct about the problem (if it happens again) and not be as understanding as I have been. I guess saying "I know they're having fun but could you please have them shut the door/stop dragging furniture around/we REALLY don't want to hear sex (especially on the balcony, while we are on ours) after the first night is not enough.

I will demand a free cruise/hotel stay and my next one will be free, too!!!;):D

Just kidding, I want any vacation venue to address reasonable issues in a timely manner.

I was a college spring break cruiser on the Glory last March, and it definitely wasn't bad ... and believe me, I'm one who appreciates quiet. ;)

Basically, I think that a 7 day cruise over spring break is more likely to less rowdy just because it costs a little more and keeps some of the cheaper "party" element off.

Archived