RC vs. Carnival

Natnval

I have never had a problem with carnival and I love their food, we aren't picky when it comes to the food. But the only 2 ships I've been on the Ecstasy and the Triumph. So I think no matter which route we go will be an upgrade. Just know for sure I want to do the 7 day cruise and see more than just Mexico.

Have done both and would happily return to Royal. I'd probably be ok with Carnival if it was the only line I had sailed with but we are done. Carnival has a ship sailing 20 minutes from my house but you won't catch me on it.

I haven't personally, but I have had family members in them and they enjoyed it. They are nice rooms and as far as I know, unique to RCI. The window bench seat adds a good bit more seating and space. Only drawback was privacy. Directly across, other PR rooms can see right into yours when your curtains are open.

Navigator has those new virtual balcony interior rooms. Have you considered those?

I did enjoy that on Mariner of the seas. It was fun to people watch. Other things about that class of ship I did not like. If I am ever convinced to go on one of the monster ships I will pick a RP balcony.

I know you may be locked in to going at a specific time but NOS also runs the Belize, Honduras, Cozumel route. NOS is a beautiful ship that has the Promenade deck with shops and bars. The last Carnival cruise I was on, the food was ok but nothing memorable and tables stayed dirty for literally hours. Don't know what was going on with the crew of that ship, but they didn't seem very happy. But I have had the same issues, do you book for itinerary or for the ship?

I would say do that one instead. Then he gets better ports and gets to try out a different line.

I have done some research for both carnival, RC and their excursions. Carnival song seem to offer much if anything for honduras. Ad after reading the warning for honduras I'm a little scared now. I am leaning towards RC just to try something new. There is a possibility that we would be able to go the week after and then they both would offer going to Belize and Honduras. Just the week before seems to be a little cheaper.

If you can go that week and skip Jamaica and Cayman I say go for it. As others have mentioned it is always fun to try a different line.

Have done both and would happily return to Royal. I'd probably be ok with Carnival if it was the only line I had sailed with but we are done. Carnival has a ship sailing 20 minutes from my house but you won't catch me on it.

Lol! that is an old crappy ship so I understand. I also despite the shorter "party" cruises which seem to be especially true of Carnival's short cruises. However, if they ever offer Bermuda again form Charleston, I may suck it up and go on Carnival. I feel a 5 hour drive is much easier on me than a 2 hour flight to NY.

With that being said I think you'll get more bang for your buck on CCL

Carnival has had too many changes and cut backs in the last few years to its fundamental product. The price is (sometimes) lower than Royal but I find that the higher level of entertainment on Royal and the nicer ships equal a better value for me. CCL = (sometimes) less bucks. RCI = bucks better spent.

Carnival changed its focus from value oriented resort goers to just offering the cheapest fares. It got a bit too obvious for me.

The Voyager-class ship (Navigator) has had a recent revitalization and updating with new venues added. Carnival has nothing like the Voyager-class ship at all.

We are going to try RC and go to Grand Cayman, Jamaica and Cozumel. Thanks for all of your opinions!

You will have fun-just beware in Jamaica that you will get some hard sales. Now I understand they have ships docks in 2 places but where we docked was a Margaritaville which had a swimming pool, and a straw market. I said if I ever went back by cruiseship that I would venture no further than that area.

Belize has the longest tender ride to the city. This is a city, no beaches nearby at all. If you want a beach you have to take a water taxi to one. We like to go cave tubing here but not with the ship which costs almost twice as much. (our cave tubing was $45, ship's are from $85 & up, same caves, same time.)

Roatan, Honduras, port is Mahogany Bay. This port was built by Carnival and is not near anything. It has shops, a few vendors and a cable car for $$$ to take you to the beach across some water- or you can walk it if you like walking. You have to take cab to go anywhere.

Falmouth, Jamaica is a brand new port- don't think its been open for even a year yet.

In Grand Cayman you can feed the rays- a GREAT tour. But book with Captain Marvin not the ship's tour and save a lot of $$$. He has led this tour for years!

In Cozumel you can go to Chankanaub (SP?), a national beach park. You can watch the swim with the dolphins here or snorkel right off the beach. They have restaurants and even a small museum.

You can probably sign up before you get to Grand Cayman but Google him. You will find information about this on his site- and usually you don't pay until you get there. When you get off the tender turn left and walk down the street. His 'store' will be on the right.

For the golf cart/car in Grand Turk contact Nathan Smith email is Nathanandlinda@TClway.tc. His phone numbers are:

cell-649-231-4856 or 649-2311383, 649-946-1896. But I don't know the country code. Think it was $60 for the golf cart & $80 for a jeep/car.

Edited by Bonnie J.