NCL Getaway Review 3/15 to 3/22

DRMizzou

Thank you for the review. We have a similar flight out of Ft Lauderdale. Wondering if you were able to check your bags early when you got to the airport?

I believe they may store them for you; but we did not do that. We were on Southwest and their rules are that you can only check bags outside (curbside) within 4 hours of your flight, within 3 at the main ticket counter (where you get boarding passes, etc.) and within 2 hours at the Express counter where you just check bags if you already have a boarding pass.

We arrived at the airport at around 11am for a 4pm flight. I think I saw a sign at the SWA area that said something about storing your bags with them--but I do not know the cost.

We just found a couple of seats in the terminal, parked our bags and made the best of it.

Great review- thank you.

We're booked for Bernard's Tours too so I was a little sad to read about the iguana farm, it may seem silly to some but our kids were *really* looking forward to that part. We sail 4/19 so here's to hoping they have it back up and running by then.

I believe they may store them for you; but we did not do that. We were on Southwest and their rules are that you can only check bags outside (curbside) within 4 hours of your flight, within 3 at the main ticket counter (where you get boarding passes, etc.) and within 2 hours at the Express counter where you just check bags if you already have a boarding pass.

We arrived at the airport at around 11am for a 4pm flight. I think I saw a sign at the SWA area that said something about storing your bags with them--but I do not know the cost.

We just found a couple of seats in the terminal, parked our bags and made the best of it.

Thanks. We are on SW also. Good to know we can check them outside 4hours in advance.

Great review- thank you.

We're booked for Bernard's Tours too so I was a little sad to read about the iguana farm, it may seem silly to some but our kids were *really* looking forward to that part. We sail 4/19 so here's to hoping they have it back up and running by then.

It was a little unclear as to how soon the Iguana Farm was going to be open. Our tour guide said that the owner is in some kind of dispute with the French officials and is in the process of moving the Farm. That is why it was closed. He did point out where the new location would be. One of the first stops we did make (for about 10-15 minutes) was at a very picturesque spot near a beach. Good spot for photos. There is a local there who has a number of "sea creatures" that he catches and brings out of the surf and let's the kids check them out. He does work for tips; but was not "pushy" about it.

Thanks for the great review. I'm debating between Bernard's tour or just going to Mullet Bay/Maho on our own, Did you feel you had enough time at Maho?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not having been to Maho before, we just wanted to experience it and still get a feel for the rest of the island. While we had about an hour at Maho, we did miss the big KLM and maybe some others. We did get to see some cool landings and takeoffs; but we undoubtedly also missed some stuff. With trying to experience the airport stuff and get pictures/videos, we really did not get a chance to experience the beach itself or the Sunset Bar & Grill.

Bernard's is great (and definitely ask for the Mailman as your tour guide if you can); but if Maho is your main destination, you may want to grab a cab and go there on your own so you can have more time.

We haven't cruised on anything bigger than the Gem/Jewel class but I am thinking about Breakaway since it sails out of NYC. I've been reading several of the reviews and it appears that you really have to make reservations before you get on the ship for some restaurants and shows. Is this true? It kind of takes away the "freestyle" option of doing what you want, when you want. I know it's usually necessary to make specialty restaurant reservations, we are platinum and usually do that shortly after we board for our 2 free dinners but to have to do all that and the shows before you sail kind of turns me off. I'd appreciate any other comments about the bigger ships vs the Jewel class. Thank you.

Not having been to Maho before, we just wanted to experience it and still get a feel for the rest of the island. While we had about an hour at Maho, we did miss the big KLM and maybe some others. We did get to see some cool landings and takeoffs; but we undoubtedly also missed some stuff. With trying to experience the airport stuff and get pictures/videos, we really did not get a chance to experience the beach itself or the Sunset Bar & Grill.

Bernard's is great (and definitely ask for the Mailman as your tour guide if you can); but if Maho is your main destination, you may want to grab a cab and go there on your own so you can have more time.

Another option is that Bernard's has a different tour that is strictly to Maho. In that one, you are there for a much longer period of time. I think it's $20 or $25 pp and goes straight from port to Maho.

I'll probably do the same tour that you did though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We haven't cruised on anything bigger than the Gem/Jewel class but I am thinking about Breakaway since it sails out of NYC. I've been reading several of the reviews and it appears that you really have to make reservations before you get on the ship for some restaurants and shows. Is this true? It kind of takes away the "freestyle" option of doing what you want, when you want. I know it's usually necessary to make specialty restaurant reservations, we are platinum and usually do that shortly after we board for our 2 free dinners but to have to do all that and the shows before you sail kind of turns me off. I'd appreciate any other comments about the bigger ships vs the Jewel class. Thank you.

This is the first time we made reservations prior to the cruise. I think the main issue would be if you know that you want to eat in a certain restaurant, at a specific time on a specific day. It appeared that there were tables available in Ocean Blue on the night we dined there; but Cagney's was pretty full on Friday night (of course, it was the last night). Regarding the shows, I was just not sure about the large capacity of the Getaway (4000) and it being Spring Break, so we planned out when we wanted to go to the shows in advance and made reservations to ensure we could get in. I agree that it takes a little flexibility out of your schedule. There were a few times I wished I could have changed times; but, all in all, it worked for us.

It would be interesting to hear the opinions of folks who waited until they got on the ship.

Your tour with Bernard sounds great but can you ask for a beach other than Orient. My DS will be 16yo at time of our cruise and I would be uncomfortable if there were any nudist there; there are just some things a Mom doesn't want to share with her son.:rolleyes:

Your tour with Bernard sounds great but can you ask for a beach other than Orient. My DS will be 16yo at time of our cruise and I would be uncomfortable if there were any nudist there; there are just some things a Mom doesn't want to share with her son.:rolleyes:

If you google "Bernards SXM Tours" you will find info about their regular tours and private tours. If you pay for a private tour, it says you can choose your beach, although it costs more than if you just do a regular tour with the regular stops and schedule.

Edited by LrgPizza

This is the first time we made reservations prior to the cruise. I think the main issue would be if you know that you want to eat in a certain restaurant, at a specific time on a specific day. It appeared that there were tables available in Ocean Blue on the night we dined there; but Cagney's was pretty full on Friday night (of course, it was the last night). Regarding the shows, I was just not sure about the large capacity of the Getaway (4000) and it being Spring Break, so we planned out when we wanted to go to the shows in advance and made reservations to ensure we could get in. I agree that it takes a little flexibility out of your schedule. There were a few times I wished I could have changed times; but, all in all, it worked for us.

It would be interesting to hear the opinions of folks who waited until they got on the ship.

We've been on both the Epic and Breakaway and made reservations for entertainment only ahead of time. Once you have it you can always try to change dates while on board. We did on both. The reason it's a good idea to book is that the big shows are only for part of the cruise and therefore limited showings.

I'm not sure I'd worry about the dining unless you have something special planned. There are boards that tell you what's full/available at a given time and you can also use an app on your phone to book if you like. We took advantage of the offer for a free bottle on wine per couple on embarkation night at any of the pay dining. If available it's in the Freestyle Daily.

Great recap by the way! It reminded me a lot of the Breakaway which we loved.

As LrgPizza mentioned, you could check on a private tour through Bernard's; but I think the regular tour stops are set.

We've been on both the Epic and Breakaway and made reservations for entertainment only ahead of time. Once you have it you can always try to change dates while on board. We did on both. The reason it's a good idea to book is that the big shows are only for part of the cruise and therefore limited showings.

I'm not sure I'd worry about the dining unless you have something special planned. There are boards that tell you what's full/available at a given time and you can also use an app on your phone to book if you like. We took advantage of the offer for a free bottle on wine per couple on embarkation night at any of the pay dining. If available it's in the Freestyle Daily.

Great recap by the way! It reminded me a lot of the Breakaway which we loved.

Thanks for both of your inputs. I just hate to have the "freestyle" taken out of our cruising. Sometimes you just don't know what you want to do til you do it. thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you so much for this detailed review. I will be on the Getaway next month and it will be my first mega ship. I've only been on 3 cruises and they've been on smaller ships. When I was 12 (20 years ago YIKES) I went on the Carnival Sensation (she was only about 7 months old at the time). 2011 I was on the Spirit and last year on the Sun. I'm a NCL girl now. lol After reading your review, I feel a little less anxious about being on a huge ship.

Also, thank you for explaining the pictures. I saw a video tour and the guy showed the folder with the cabin nbr and I was wondering if they got your cabin nbr or used facial recognition. So thanks for explaining that and about the monitors.

Great review!

• 9 months later...