Hiking

Snook

I don't see any excursions in Ketchikan that I want to take so I would like to just do some hiking. Any suggestions? I see a trailhead called Deer Mountain on Google maps. Is that too far from the ship dock? Is it worthwhile? We'll be there in May.

Thanks.

I don't see any excursions in Ketchikan that I want to take so I would like to just do some hiking. Any suggestions? I see a trailhead called Deer Mountain on Google maps. Is that too far from the ship dock? Is it worthwhile? We'll be there in May.

Thanks.

In May you still might run into snow on Deer Mountain. I've heard that Deer Mountain is doable except if the weather is rainy or still has snow on it.

Edited by Kamloops50

We are looking at hiking that trail also the first week of June. My husband was considering bringing his hiking backpack and bear spray, but I need to check if we can put in our checked luggage and fly with it.

Thanks for the info and the trail web sites. I did not know there were so many in Ketchikan. Since my time there will be limited, I'll have to put a lot of thought into which one or ones I choose.

This has been very helpful, we planned on hiking around Ketchikan, and this gives us some options based on weather, we are already doing a 6-8 hour hike in Juneau so we may not be up for Deer Mountain, but maybe we will....its crunch time, I'm sooo excited! :D

We have run into bears on hikes before and they mostly want nothing to do with you, if you get into trouble just remember not to bolt (you are acting like prey) maintain eye contact and back away slowly making yourself appear as big as possible, arms up, backpack up, piggy back. If you are really talkative/have clanking water bottles you are very unlikely to see a bear in the first place. :D

Clanking water bottles, I would have never thought of that. We are generally quite while hiking(no loud talking or kids being loud and goofy). We enjoy the peaceful nature. I guess we will need to be louder, lol.(all that hard work of training our kids about being respectful of nature and other hikers just go thrown out the door). We are pretty excited to be hiking in Alaska. Thanks everyone for the tips.