Packing Just a Carry On Bag for Alaska?

sjmbruce

Can someone please post a picture or link to what "tactical" or "technical" pants are?

Also, what are "exofficio" shirts and underwear? Is this a brand name?

Also, to Karrie 020852 - Did you really get all of that in a carry on bag? Hard to imagine that all those items fit into a carry on. Or is that what you pack and you wish you could get it in a carry on?

I think I pack way too many toiletries. Always the "in case I need it stuff". Always have a medicine bag of stuff.

Seems like I have gotten sick on way too many trips lately.

Just back from a week on the "Silhouettte" and got sick on the ship with upper respiratory stuff that turned in to bad bronchitis, horrendous cough and 2 ear infections. Next time, I go I will try to get my doctor to give me the same medication to take with me on the trip that he gave me when I got back. It has now been 3 weeks since I got sick and now are just getting well. It was nasty. I had taken decongestant with me and tylenol but that wasn't enough.

I was proud of me last time that I went from 2 suitcases and a carryon down to one suitcase and a carryon. That was a big improvement for me.

After going to Alaska 5 times already in the past, you definitely need more room for the bulky items even carrying your jacket on the plane. It is very cold standing out on the deck watching the glaciers so you really need a warm fleece underneath the waterproof, hooded parka. We have also found low cut waterproof hikers very helpful. Were great when it poured in Ketchikan and also just keep your feet warmer when it is cooler.

I have watched those Rick Steve's videos and am amazed. I see none of them take hardly any toiletries though.

Well, I will keep working on it. Thanks for the tips. After cruising so much, you would think I would have it down better than I do, but I just keep juggling all the luggage.

Thanks.

This is not my list....I got it here on cruise critic and would like to be able to pack all this stuff in a carry on too. Don't know if I'll really be able to do it either...but want to give it a try.

We are doing a 2 week land tour and cruise and I hope to have 2 checked bags, one for the cruise portion and one for the land trip. Will also have a rolling tote and a small tote that will slip over the handle. We get 2 bags checked free which will be easier than trying to lift carry on's up over our head into the luggage bins.

Mary Lou

Seven cruises to Alaska with two little bags. Dressy, swimwear, casual, warm and four pair of shoes.

I wear the heavy pieces to travel. That includes jeanlike pants, walking shoes, coats (a liner inside the raincoat).

My advice is to have One perfect outfit for each type of activity and a second dual purpose outfit. So the dress pants could sub during the day with a casual shirt, the swim suit also acts as "spanks" under the dinner dress. Dress shoes are plain enough to be worn during the day. Three thin shirts will be warmer than one bulky sweater.

My all time fave is a set of Silk longjohns from REI. The top is pretty enough for the nicest evening. A couple silk scarves take no room. I also carry walking sandals in my personal bag. A pair of shower shoes go in the carryon with the dress shoes.

The real answer is to Think before you pack. I used the same two bags for 90day trips to Europe and Asia. Those of us who pack light had our trips overpacking. I kept my packing sheets out one trip and we marked it each time we wore an outfit. So many items were only worn once during two weeks. Never again.

It can not just be done light. You can do it and look great for every occassion. BTW.. don't miss the snorkling in Ketchican.. great bragging rights!

Edited by cruznut1111

I am reading all these posts about packing light and wearings pants 3 days and I say Oh NO! To me going on a cruise and wearing pretty clothes and feeling fresh each day is so part of the cruise for me. I am going to try and do a load of wash of just jeans before I head to the cruise ship at one of the Lodges. The cost of paying for a bag is not much money to have the comfort of wearing nice clothes for different events for my trip. I can not imagine wearing the same pjs for a 13 day trip. In my opinion I am spending a lot of money to go on this trip so I definely would not skip on packing what I needed to save $30.00- $50.00 bucks.

And I also agree about the over stuffed carryons being forced to fit in the overhead compartments. I see people trying to cram them up there and another thought is how bad do their clothes look when they take them out of the suitcase to wear them. But hey it is your vacation and if that is what you want to do and will be happier for it then it is right for you. Me I will be packing a large suitcase for the tour and a medium one for the cruise ship. And I will pack also a backpack for the bus on the tour with my meds and a lightweight waterproof jacket and camera. I also love having room to pick up special items like Tshirts etc. But I am also the person who overpacks for a one night stayover to my brother's house. I also cruise out of Baltimore (I live in De) and my Travel Agent told me I could take the kitchen sink with me if I wanted to. But why would I want that.....I do not plan to do dishes. But I do take a lot with me for 2 changes a day. And usually 2-3 swimsuits. lol I hope you all enjoy your trip.

I am neither the OP nor the person whose list included the technical & ExOfficio pants, but I have been posting here because I am also interested in packing light.

I did invite comments on my list, but I'm not sure you were responding to my list because I only plan to pack TWO pair of pants in addition to the pair we wear on board. Since we wont be doing any vigorous exercise during the cruise portion, we plan to re-wear pants ;) and do laundry once towards the end of the cruise.

I now think that rather than space, my problem may be weight. My carry-ons will have a weight limit of 10 kg or 22 lbs.

Oops - my bad! It was Karries list, not yours, that I was commenting on - yours was one away and I confused the names:o

I see she replied anyway, and toboggan wasn't an autocorrect error but yet another name to add to the list of names for toque/beanie/watchcap!

Grandma101 - a properly-folded bundle, which is at the heart of packing small, is actually the best way to avoid wrinkles in clothing. Pants, jackets, shirts, skirts, you name it - the only more effective way to keep them wrinkle-free is to not fold them at all, and that's just impractical even with a huuuuuuge suitcase. If you enjoy ironing, great, but if you don't look into "bundle packing" or "bundle wrapping" online and simply use two or more bundles inside a large suitcase - its all about preventing the clothes moving around and not having sharp folds to avoid creasing.

I'm going to try this! We will be on the move every 2 days for a week before the cruise, so I don't want to be lugging around huge bags. We will have to do laundry the first day on the cruise, but I'm fine with that!

I love the video demo. I will be trying that!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Oops - my bad! It was Karries list, not yours, that I was commenting on - yours was one away and I confused the names:o

I see she replied anyway, and toboggan wasn't an autocorrect error but yet another name to add to the list of names for toque/beanie/watchcap!

Grandma101 - a properly-folded bundle, which is at the heart of packing small, is actually the best way to avoid wrinkles in clothing. Pants, jackets, shirts, skirts, you name it - the only more effective way to keep them wrinkle-free is to not fold them at all, and that's just impractical even with a huuuuuuge suitcase. If you enjoy ironing, great, but if you don't look into "bundle packing" or "bundle wrapping" online and simply use two or more bundles inside a large suitcase - its all about preventing the clothes moving around and not having sharp folds to avoid creasing.

Thanks I will look into that. I also might add that I am not a very good at packing either. So any hints are welcomed.

I only ever pack carry on luggage, even for 3 week trips and thats not doing laundry once lol message me if you want to chat more :)

There's no messaging feature on these boards. Any general tips you can share?

I only ever pack carry on luggage, even for 3 week trips and thats not doing laundry once lol........ :)
We like to pack light too and never want to waste any time doing laundry, so we use the ship's laundry service.

We usually send stuff out at least every other day, and sometimes even every day.

I need two pairs of jeans so I can have one to wear while the other is out at the laundry.

I really like having freshly laundered, clean clothing to wear without any need to pack and haul big suitcases.

Also, with the limited storage space in a regular cruise stateroom it is nice to be able to unpack everything and spread your stuff out in the closets and drawers so it is easy to see it all, without needing to cram it in tightly together.

We cruised with one couple who brought so much clothing that they had to double everything up on the hangers in the closet and filled up their shelves and drawers.

Then they complained that they could never find what they were looking for because it was buried under something else.

But if you are someone who books a spacious top level suite, I suppose storage space would not be a problem and you can spread your stuff out no matter how much you packed. :D

Thanks for that link! I just ordered a couple of sets.

The best part about them is that you can just take the cube out of the suitcase , unzip it and put it on a shelf or in a drawer and you're done!

Edited by travelbug11

I love my ebags. Picked up 3 sets last year and they've come in handy for several trips (2 cruises, 1 convention, and a flight to visit the in-laws in Cali). I've never been one to take my clothes out of my suitcases in hotels but I do with these.

Packing cubes are one of the best inventions ever!! Hope they make one half the size of the smallest one cause I'd like to put camera cords/chargers etc in there and be able to see that's what's in it!

I also think one of the most idiotic and unsafe things the airlines has done is the payment for checking bags. I personally think the fact you bought and paid for passage gives you a RIGHT to check one bag--within their poundage and specs of course like now. Also think it should be legislated since that seems the only way in the USA to get some wrongs righted. It is a safety issue for sure. Also can't believe the American public has tolerated this miscarriage. Lots of regular fliers I.e. business passengers, have some perks that gets them freebies and they don't pay a tidy sum to check their luggage. It's geared @ gouging the casual traveler and vacationer and families which covers most of us! :(

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

hockeygal54

You're absolutely right on this one. How is one supposed to travel without packing a suitcase containing clothes, necessities, etc. By charging people for their luggage now, a lot of people take a carry on with them, and so the overhead compartments are now jammed packed. Another thing that bothers me and others and I'm sure it's been said before, I weight 135 and the person next to me weighs 200, do I get a discount or will I be allowed to bring an extra 65 lbs of luggage. Please don't flame me, I'm just saying...:rolleyes:

I'm working on my packing list....

I'm flying into Vancouver a day early, 7 day northbound cruise, a full day in anchorage before flying home....

Can I get away with just a carry on bag?

Based on my last trip to Alaska, I think I could do it:

1. if I did not participate in any formal nights and only ate in casual places

2. by wearing my 3 pairs of light snow pants at least twice each

3. if I was ok with using just the included in cabin soap/shampoo products.

4. if I only brought sneakers

5. by bringing maybe 4 pairs of t-shirts and a pullover (buy a shirt or two at Ketchikan)

6. by bringing only one heavy jacket (to wear/hold on the plane..put gloves, scarf, and beanie hat in the pockets)

7. by leaving my dslr (and accessories/lenses) at home :(

8. by keeping toiletries to a minimum (toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, floss, contact solution if needed)

9. if I hand washed and hung dry my socks (4 pairs) in the sink

10. ...underwear...would be hard to compromise here for me...I suppose commando is an option :eek: ...men's underwear takes up more space than women's for sure.

11. lots of cash/credit for anything else I might have to buy.

so...yeah, I could probably do it, but I love dressing up for dinner and I would hate to be without my dslr, especially in such a beautiful place as Alaska.

Remember the laundry is closed when you are in Alaskan waters. I could not do just a carry on.

Sue

The self-serve laundry is closed in Alaskan waters? We were counting on that. Dang. Thanks for the heads up.

hockeygal54

You're absolutely right on this one. How is one supposed to travel without packing a suitcase containing clothes, necessities, etc. By charging people for their luggage now, a lot of people take a carry on with them, and so the overhead compartments are now jammed packed. Another thing that bothers me and others and I'm sure it's been said before, I weight 135 and the person next to me weighs 200, do I get a discount or will I be allowed to bring an extra 65 lbs of luggage. Please don't flame me, I'm just saying...:rolleyes:

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forums mobile app

News article today said US airlines ate going to start cracking down on over sized over filled carryon luggage now too. Also they are considering charging for them as well. Figures :(

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forums mobile app