Carnival Magic food waste

My mom passed 1 month after coming back from a cruise from a virus that got to her heart..she got very ill the night she arrived home the same day of getting off....

NONE of her health issues caused her death at 76...her heart was perfect..her arteries were perfect..all her symptoms made them test these avenues first. You can NOT say absolutely that she got it on the ship..I don't even know if it is off utensils that it can spread..kids get it as a cold and wart it off..when adults get it it can go to heart...a younger 50ish man in our circle died of it a year before...not in same town.

I know one can be crazy about being clean but it is starting to bug me when I see so many careless acts in grocery stores, restaurants, anywhere public. I cringe at our source for where to put her in rehab when we thought she was improving...we did what we could....cleaning ourselves.

Not clean enough...in so many ways...just little things not food....

Last time I checked out at grocery store little kid was rubbing her nose back and forth on the card/check signing ledge. I whipped out a wipe and hit it before i put anything down..the checker and father were too busy to notice....

Edited by sjn911

They do grind and and feed a bunch to the fish which is a good thing..

When I was on the Dream a few years ago there was one day where on Lido there was this horrid smell of food waste. It was very strong and was not the poop smell people talk about. I mentioned to my wife that it smelled like rotten food that they were probably dumping at the time. Perhaps the wind was just bad that day and it made it on to Lido. I haven't heard anyone else complain about this and haven't seen a post about it since. I was on Dream last year and never noticed it.

When I was on the Dream a few years ago there was one day where on Lido there was this horrid smell of food waste. It was very strong and was not the poop smell people talk about. I mentioned to my wife that it smelled like rotten food that they were probably dumping at the time. Perhaps the wind was just bad that day and it made it on to Lido. I haven't heard anyone else complain about this and haven't seen a post about it since. I was on Dream last year and never noticed it.

They tend to handle this at night, so these kinds of smells don't affect the guests. The liquid (ground up) food waste generally gets pumped over from 20 feet below the waterline, so if the ship is moving (and they can't pump out in port), any smell that surfaces would be well behind, unless there is a very strong tail wind. We have had bad problems with smell when we would dry the food waste for incineration, and while there is a deodorant injected into the food waste prior to drying, I found it never worked well, and the smell from the incinerator exhaust (up the funnel) was so bad that we abandoned the drying/incinerating, and went back to feeding the fish.

We were on the delayed debark Magic last week and in talking to one of the waiters, he told us that 2 1/2 tons is the average waste of food on the 7 nighter. I think of all the poor people who would kill just for a bite or two. I wonder if this is pretty standard ? A good example is the huge basket of pastry they set on out table for two. We do not eat it, so does that go in the pile because it was on our table ? We finally stopped them and said no thanks..

Any catering hall, restaurant, or places that serve food always have an excees of food waste. Food is even thrown away at individual homes.

But to draw a line of food waste to any place where people are hungry just doesn't work. That food wouldn't even be there. Even when your mother told you to finish your plate, and to think of all the starving people in the world. It would still be rotten by the time it got there.

It just doesn't work that way.

I know, it's just a shame.BTW had an old Air Force buddy from Pine Bluff, used to really enjoy going there.

Any catering hall, restaurant, or places that serve food always have an excees of food waste. Food is even thrown away at individual homes.

But to draw a line of food waste to any place where people are hungry just doesn't work. That food wouldn't even be there. Even when your mother told you to finish your plate, and to think of all the starving people in the world. It would still be rotten by the time it got there.

It just doesn't work that way.

Edited by overthehillcruiser

When we took the Behind the Fun tour on the Freedom......our guide told us that the leftover food is ground up and dumped out to sea once the ship is so far out to sea

The tour I took on the Conquest shared the same information about biodegradable food waste.

One thing not brought up on here is the cost to move weight at sea. Tons of waste contribute to amount of gallons of fuel consumed on the cruise. A senior officer aboard is assigned to make the ship as efficient as possible and return to dock with provisions much less than when they embarked. It’s a delicate balance, and a contributor to why things cost more on our floating hotel. Commercial airliners do this on short flights, as fuel weighs almost 7 pounds a gallon, and most flights require far less that a full tank.

I chuckle when someone says “I can buy a can of soda for a dollar at home.” True, but your home isn’t in the middle of the Caribbean on a thousand mile journey.

Good discussion points. Don’t shoot the lawyers, most are good guys.

Edited by BallFour4