unfamiliar cocktails

Yes, I have another drink question.

When I was on the Miracle several years ago I was unable to get a Sidecar. This is a classic cocktail that any trained bartender should know how to make. I know they have them in the Alchemy Bar, but I'll be sailing on the Pride, and it hasn't been upgraded yet.

Has anybody else had trouble ordering a drink that you thought the bartender should have been familiar with, and all the ingredients were available? And are there any infequently ordered cocktails that I should expect to be in every Carnival bartender's repertoire?

Yes, I have another drink question.

When I was on the Miracle several years ago I was unable to get a Sidecar. This is a classic cocktail that any trained bartender should know how to make. I know they have them in the Alchemy Bar, but I'll be sailing on the Pride, and it hasn't been upgraded yet.

Has anybody else had trouble ordering a drink that you thought the bartender should have been familiar with, and all the ingredients were available? And are there any infequently ordered cocktails that I should expect to be in every Carnival bartender's repertoire?

Since Cognac, Cointreau or triple sec is on every ship, the ingredient excuse does not hold up. I usually know what and how to make my favorite drinks. Did you know what was in a sidecar? If so, why did you just not tell them how to make it?

Since Cognac, Cointreau or triple sec is on every ship, the ingredient excuse does not hold up. I usually know what and how to make my favorite drinks. Did you know what was in a sidecar? If so, why did you just not tell them how to make it?

I didn't know the correct proportions. My mention of ingredients was not meant to refer back to my experience. Rather it was a qualifier that it's not reasonable to expect them to make a drink if they don't have all the ingredients. I'd like a Pimm's Cup, but I know they don't carry Pimm's No 1, and they certainly don't have sliced cucumbers.

Every bar should have a recipe book...that would have been a simple cocktail to look up:)

I agree - they should have looked it up and made it for her. (or maybe they are just too lazy to do so - if they didn't have a book).

As noted they have a recipe book for drinks. Also, if you know the ingredients, they'll make it for you. Most of the times, drinks go by different names, and when you tell them the ingredients, they call it another name.

I like a drink that we make at home, orange juice, vodka, galleano, and half and half. It tastes like a dreamsicle from when I was a kid but it has a little kick.

My husband made the first one I ever had....I don't know what it's called but always get them to make it when we're on the ship. The bartenders never mind and because of the good service we give an extra tip.

Kinda like a Harvey Walbanger but with milk!:D

I was on the Splendor and tried to order a Twilight Zone from a bartender in the El Morocco Lounge. Even though it is a drink in Carnival's book, he claimed he didn't know how to make it and there was no book available. He was only interested in making the easy drinks like margaritas and beer.

Went to another bar and the bartender also didn't know how to make it, but she was able to look it up on the register/computer. Gave her an extra tip.

Most of the bartenders on the ship know the popular cruise drinks. Since a sidecar isn't a drink they probably make all the time, you should look for the cocktail recipe on the internet and bring it with you.

I found a recipe for the sidecar here:

Ingredients

ice cubes

1/2 fluid ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice

1/2 fluid ounce Cointreau or triple sec

1 fluid ounce brandy

1 lemon wedge

Directions

Fill a cocktail shaker 3/4 full with ice cubes. Pour in lemon juice, Cointreau, and brandy. Cover and shake vigorously for about 30 seconds until the outside of the shaker becomes cold and frosty. Strain into a martini glass and garnish with a wedge of lemon.