Zaandam to Alaska In August

Lauvellers

Hi, Everyone

The hubby and I have never cruised on HAL but we have been on other cruise lines, we will be boarding the Zaandam to Alaska in August, just wondering about any tips, tricks, or things to look forward to with this ship? We have booked oceanview cabin with blocked view. Thanks for the help!

Lauvellers!:)

That's too bad your first experience with HAL is on the Zaandam but the good part is the cruising experience and cruising to Alaska is amazing and is port extensive and you'll have a great time. With the Zaandam its all about the destination not the journey.

The Zaandam has about the best entertainment and activities out of the HAL fleet so if you enjoy evening shows and various activities throughout the day you picked the right HAL ship.

If you enjoy fine dining and getting your meals served at the correct temperature - you picked the wrong HAL ship. And its not really the Zaandam staff's fault. They work hard and are very friendly and provide as good service as they can under the conditions. Cutbacks (assistants) are very noticeable in the food service. The food is decent enough. I'd even say its pretty good if it didn't arrive cold. If you see your waiter getting stuck at an adjacent table taking forever to deal with their needs you can be pretty sure your meal is sitting in the kitchen getting colder until he can get back there to pick it up.

Lots of good viewing areas on the Zaandam to enjoy the scenery. Check the Alaska ports of call board or more information and activities in each town.

As a counterpoint to Appygirl's post, we have been on the Zaandam, had none of the problems she has detailed, and I am sailing on the Zaandam to Alaska this year. In no way am I saying her experience was not her experience; just that it was not what we experienced. I am not at all reluctant to go back on the Zaandam.

Welcome to Holland America. Welcome to a wonderful experience in Alaska. Spend time on the various port of call threads and the roll call for your trip and plan to have a wonderful time. No need to worry about that oceanview cabin with blocked view. In Alaska your best views will always be from out on deck or in the Crows Nest. Be sure to dress in layers so you'll be comfortable everywhere.

Have sailed several times on the Zaandam and also on her sister ship MS Volendam. They are lovely ships. You have chosen well.

In regard to the comments by Appygirl on this thread, I have no doubt she had a problem with her dining room wait staff, but it appears she still enjoyed the Zaandam. Perhaps she preferred to suffer in silence rather than speak with her waiter or with a supervisor. I agree that dining room service is not what it was in earlier years, but I have never had an inattentive waiter, or cold food. Have always enjoyed dining on HAL.

If you go prepared to make the best of everything you will have a great trip.

Edited by the2ofus

Welcome to Holland America. Welcome to a wonderful experience in Alaska. Spend time on the various port of call threads and the roll call for your trip and plan to have a wonderful time. No need to worry about that oceanview cabin with blocked view. In Alaska your best views will always be from out on deck or in the Crows Nest. Be sure to dress in layers so you'll be comfortable everywhere.

Have sailed several times on the Zaandam and also on her sister ship MS Volendam. They are lovely ships. You have chosen well.

In regard to the comments by Appygirl on this thread, I have no doubt she had a problem with her dining room wait staff, but it appears she still enjoyed the Zaandam. Perhaps she preferred to suffer in silence rather than speak with her waiter or with a supervisor. I agree that dining room service is not what it was in earlier years, but I have never had an inattentive waiter, or cold food. Have always enjoyed dining on HAL.

If you go prepared to make the best of everything you will have a great trip.

DH and I are joining family and friends for the Alaska cruise in August as well. We have been on Princess cruises but this will be our first HAL, looking forward to trying a new cruise line and especially looking forward to Alaska! Have found many good tips and information on these boards. Any cruise is a good cruise! Has anyone started a roll call for the Zaandam trip in August yet?

This is all great advice! We are looking forward to our trip very much! We are going on the August 15th trip. I haven't started a roll call either. When is everyone else going? I think there is many ups and downs to every cruise, but going in with an open mind and looking to experience what we can! :)

• 1 month later...
This is all great advice! We are looking forward to our trip very much! We are going on the August 15th trip. I haven't started a roll call either. When is everyone else going? I think there is many ups and downs to every cruise, but going in with an open mind and looking to experience what we can! :)

We are touring BC for a week before the cruise on our own. Then our cruise leaves August 22nd. No roll call started yet.

Enjoy Alaska....take binoculars. We were able to see some amazing wildlife (bear cubs playing on shore, etc) from the ship.

As someone living near Seattle, I was stunned by comments from other passengers about the scenery. I have obviously taken for granted the beauty of the area I live in. I remember that cruise often as I drive to and from work looking directly at Mt. Rainier or the Cascades, or sitting in the office looking out at Puget Sound, or watching a bald eagle fly by.

So take a few moments and take in the sights of this fantastic part of the world.

Edited by n0w0rn3v3r