Best way to do beach only....

We are trying to find out the least expensive way to do 3 or 4 hours at a beach in either St Maarten or St Thomas. We can book the excursion through the cruise line and includes lunch and a few free drinks for $64 each going to Orient Beach but not sure if it is cheaper to do it yourself or not. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

We are trying to find out the least expensive way to do 3 or 4 hours at a beach in either St Maarten or St Thomas. We can book the excursion through the cruise line and includes lunch and a few free drinks for $64 each going to Orient Beach but not sure if it is cheaper to do it yourself or not. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

On St. Maarten you can take a taxi to Dawn Beach - about $12 for two each way, rent chairs and have lunch at .Mr. Busby's - probably $30-$40 total - making a comparable total of about $35 to $40 each for the same experience. Or go to Le Galion (if you want a really calm beach with similar amenities) a couple dollars more cab fare. Or a do it yourself trip to Orient - still a bit more cab fare, but still much cheaper than the organized excursion --- plus you get to set your own time at the beach and not have to leave earlier or stay later than you want.

Catch a bus on back street in St Maarten for 2 bucks a person. Make sure it says Maho/Mullet Bay on the bus and it will drop you off 3 minutes away from Mullet Beach. When you are done with Mullet Beach walk over to Maho bay where the planes land and watch them till you need to go back to the port. Facing the water turn right and go back the way that you entered the beach stick to your left and go back on the main road. The buses will be coming by all the time to go back to the port. Total cost of travel both ways is 8 bucks for 2 people. Make sure the license plate says BUS on it. Also it is a 15 minute walk from the port to the bus stop.

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Is there a water taxi that goes to Mullett beach? As for Maho we have no desire to be that close to aircraft flying.....which is why I was trying to find a better way to do it. There are 4 of us together and just want a calm beach with food and drinks available. Don't really want to swim but just want the beach (well 1 of us does in the group), the guys just want drinks and we can take them anywhere....lol.

Take a cab to Orient Beach. Water is usually calm there. Go to Orange Crush and get 2 chairs, an umbrella, and 2 drinks for less than $20. There are also many restaurants along this beach. it is also very easy to get a cab back to the ship.

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Is there a water taxi that goes to Mullett beach? As for Maho we have no desire to be that close to aircraft flying.....which is why I was trying to find a better way to do it. There are 4 of us together and just want a calm beach with food and drinks available. Don't really want to swim but just want the beach (well 1 of us does in the group), the guys just want drinks and we can take them anywhere....lol.

There is no water taxi to Mullet Bay.

We got a taxi to Divi Bay (Little Bay) and it was fabulous.

They drop you off right on the beach, umbrellas' and sunbeds for rent at reasonable cost, rest room and a really good beach bar within 100 yards. The food at the bar was cooked to perfection and entertainment was provided by their tame parrot who wandered around.

The beach was absolutely spotless, our party hired jet skis and we had the best day of the entire cruise there.

Most of us taxi'd back there were taxis waiting for hire at the drop off point but my husband walked back along the beaches then through the old town and didn't feel threatened at all.

After some of the posts I had worried about this cruise stop but all of us enjoyed it, so much so we plan on renting a villa there for our next holiday.

We took the water taxi to Great Bay Beach. Can't remember how much, but very cheap. Loved Great Bay Beach. There's a boardwalk with many different places to eat a places to shop. You can rent chairs with umbrellas by the day or find a spot for your towel for free.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

If you catch a taxi with another couple then it would cost $7 pp each way to Orient Beach. Another $15 for a couple of chairs and an umbrella and one drink each if you go down to the Pedro's end of the beach. It's easy and cheaper than doing a cruiseline excursion and you can stay for as long as you would like.

Little bay can cost as little as $4 pp per way to get to by taxi and it is the closest beach that I would swim in due to pollution concerns at Great Zbay beach which is within walking distance of the pier.

• 3 weeks later...

They drop you off right on the beach, umbrellas' and sunbeds for rent at reasonable cost, rest room and a really good beach bar within 100 yards. The food at the bar was cooked to perfection and entertainment was provided by their tame parrot who wandered around.

The beach was absolutely spotless, our party hired jet skis and we had the best day of the entire cruise there.

Most of us taxi'd back there were taxis waiting for hire at the drop off point but my husband walked back along the beaches then through the old town and didn't feel threatened at all.

After some of the posts I had worried about this cruise stop but all of us enjoyed it, so much so we plan on renting a villa there for our next holiday.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the info on Divi Little Bay. I was there years ago on a cruise and was thinking of heading there in August with my son when we are in port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...
Take a cab to Orient Beach. Water is usually calm there. Go to Orange Crush and get 2 chairs, an umbrella, and 2 drinks for less than $20. There are also many restaurants along this beach. it is also very easy to get a cab back to the ship.

Yup.....do this!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I'm not even sure where orange fever is.....I assume a section with yellow/orange chairs and umbrellas. I think it's the largest "section" at Orient Beach. Orient Beach is the loveliest beach in the Caribbean and definitely a full service beach....everything is there...jet skis, parasailing...but it is crowded. The difference between sections seems negligible....the other big advantage is that there's always cabs when ships are in port, though this past spring, knowing the town opens at 10, I shopped and left a little later, and I had some trouble getting a cab TO Orient Beach. I'm a solo, and fares are based on a full van....but it worked out...

I'm not even sure where orange fever is.....I assume a section with yellow/orange chairs and umbrellas. I think it's the largest "section" at Orient Beach. Orient Beach is the loveliest beach in the Caribbean and definitely a full service beach....everything is there...jet skis, parasailing...but it is crowded. The difference between sections seems negligible....the other big advantage is that there's always cabs when ships are in port, though this past spring, knowing the town opens at 10, I shopped and left a little later, and I had some trouble getting a cab TO Orient Beach. I'm a solo, and fares are based on a full van....but it worked out...

You have me puzzled! You seconded "Orange Crush" but really meant to endorse going to Orient Beach in general. Is this correct?

Actually there are distinct differences between sections at Orient beach. The end nearest to the clothing optional section is cheaper mostly due to the 1:1 with the euro and $. This section always has less sea grass rolling in when I go in the summer. The clothing optional section itself is also different than the rest of the beach.;):)

We will be in St. Maarten in August. Last summer we went to Orient Beach and had a wonderful time. I think this time we will try Le Gallion (sp?) Are there restrooms and food available there at that time? Is there anywhere to rent snorkelling gear? Will there be taxis waiting to take people back to the ship?

We will be in St. Maarten in August. Last summer we went to Orient Beach and had a wonderful time. I think this time we will try Le Gallion (sp?) Are there restrooms and food available there at that time? Is there anywhere to rent snorkelling gear? Will there be taxis waiting to take people back to the ship?

Yes to restrooms and food. I don't think that there is snorkel equipment to rent and to be honest the snorkeling is rather poor there at least IMO it is. They will call you a taxi at the restaurant or you can arrange a pick-up time with your driver. In my experience Le Galion can get busy in the afternoons in the summer.

In St. Maarten you can walk to Great Bay Beach and sit on a towel for free. There is a beach walkway where food is reasonable and most beer is just 2.00.

I have heard there is pollution at great bay. Is that true? Has that been cleared up?

Sent from IPhone

Is Orange Fever near the Club Orient end of the beach? We prefer that end because it is a little less hectic than the main beach.

Just beyond Pedro's is the Club Orient beach. This shows Orange Fever's proximity to that beach. These pictures were both taken on 06/09/2014.

2dird6p.jpg

2nr0vnp.jpg

Edited by modi

Just beyond Pedro's is the Club Orient beach. This shows Orange Fever's proximity to that beach. These pictures were both taken on 06/09/2014.

2dird6p.jpg

2nr0vnp.jpg

Perfect timing. This is exactly what I was trying to describe the other day.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Is little bay a resort where you have to pay a fee to be there for the day or a public beach ? Thank You it's sounds like a nice beach close to port for a family beach day!!! TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Forums