Flying in day of.....

cobianlover

I wouldn't chance it. We fly in the day before. The airlines are unreliable. Do you really want to chance missing your entire vacation because your flight was delayed? You'd better purchase trip insurance.

Edited by jsfromsc

Only one experience of flying in day of cruise (& that was only because a former TA didn't understand two major things, I'm flying from CO in February & I want to go to San Juan two days early).

We received our airline tickets, wait a minute, day of cruise, flying from Boston to San Juan. Immediate call to TA, what part of I live in Colorado didn't you understand...oh sorry, I forgot, oh I also forgot you wanted to go in several days early (but I had hotel reservations made by TA...)

Ok, TA makes calls, so sorry, all precruise flights to San Juan are sold out, have to travel day of cruise. DH isn't happy. I say book the flights thru a Choice Air, she says I'll lose my commission, my comment not my problem at thus point! Get to airport, of course, no nonstop flights, transfer at DFW. Depart early out of CO, that's good, wait for gate at DFW, hmm. Get to gate for San Juan, on time...ok this might work. Ok, here comes first delay, then the second (5 delays in all).

Finally land in San Juan, cruise departs in 20 minutes. Luckily I'm Platinum on American & run off the plane first, grab luggage (all of it). Tear up the ramp & here's the guy from Celebrity with a sign with our name, go up to him says, that's us, he says RUN & we did, threw luggage into van & tore out of airport, ran thru cruise terminal, ran across gangplank. Purser says, nice of you to join us & the gangplank closes. Purser says time for muster, DH says, not till I've had a drink...

Go to get SeaPass at Guest Relations, oh so sorry, we've assigned your stateroom to someone else. Oh no, we had specifically requested this stateroom (to be with the rest of the family). DH, who is the most mild mannered guy in the world, says get my room back & that's all he said. I don't know how they did it, but we did get our stateroom back.

Go to muster, meet family, go to stateroom & all of the luggage is there, life is now good. Rest of cruise was fantastic.

End of story, TA also forgot to cancel the hotel room for the two days that we weren't on San Juan. She paid for the hotel.

I'd never, ever travel day of to a cruise unless I was driving less than 2 hours. The stress of that trip was horrible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So glad yours had a happy ending!!!!

Not only does not story drive home the point to fly in day before cruise, but also that a TA can easily screw things up. That's why I make my own arrangements.

Don't you fly nonrev? You definitely would never consider flying in the day of cruising. :) I now leave days early. :) In March, I didn't even go home after getting off a ship in LA on a Wed. as I had another cruise on Sunday. Ended up flying direct to Miami.

No we don't fly non rev, way too iffy these days. We always buy tickets when we have a cruise.

We flew in to catch a cruise to Alaska. Thought we'd have plenty of time, but our bus driver turned it into an all-day sight seeing tour! Luckily they held the ship for us, but we were the last ones on the ship and so frazzled that we skipped dinner and got something light on the lido.

62A3E603-7A66-4F5C-9E63-9AEB6207FF5F_zpsn4khds3g.jpg

Edited by ccruisequeen

If at all possible, DO NOT, DO NOT fly in the day of your cruise.

I got burned a few weeks ago by trying to fly in the day of our cruise. The water line of our plane was frozen and they kept delaying the flight hoping it would thaw. The airline tried to get me on another airline's flight to get me to Jacksonville in time to catch the cruise. No other flights available. Because of the mechanical issue, I missed the cruise.

Luckily, I had travel insurance that covered mechanical issues. I should receive my check for the cancelled cruise and return airfare in a few days. If I did not have insurance, I would have been totally screwed.

My wife and I just returned yesterday from our 2nd attempt on a cruise. It was a GREAT time!! We learned our lesson and flew in the day before. Flying into Orlando, we were delayed in Atlanta for almost 3 hours because all air traffic flying into Florida from Atlanta was stopped because of a large storm. If we were cutting it close and flying in the same day, we would have missed the cruise again.

We have been on multiple cruises so anyone can hopefully take this advice...

Fly in the day before your cruise and buy travel insurance. I would have lost a lot of money without the insurance. Now, I only lost the cheap price of the insurance..

Happy cruising

I would NEVER

NEVER

NEVER

NEVER

NEVER

NEVER

NEVER

NEVER

NEVER

NEVER

NEVER

NEVER

NEVER

NEVER

NEVER

NEVER

NEVER

NEVER

NEVER

NEVER

NEVER

Fly the day OF departure.

NEVER

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always non rev. :) Seattle is a high load destination. But, I've had good luck flying into Portland. Bolt bus and Greyline are cheap and easy to use.

I just came home out of Miami a week ago, ALL flights noted as oversold, with a lot of nonrevs listed. We headed to the airport early and were listed for the first available. There were non revs in a panic who decided to take TriRail to FLL since there appeared to be space. There also seemed to be a number of listed non revs, no shows. We were cat 4 listed, way down the pole, but they cleared us, along with about 6 other people. This involved the "eating" passengers I mentioned above. Same with the connecting flight, we cleared that as well.

We are both retired, so, it is different for us. And I've been very lucky and good at making the decisions for routing.

Saturday or Sunday after 1000, in PBI, FLL or MIA, forget it. Any airline, any destination. Better chance of hitting powerball than getting on a flight out of there on those days. I know a few who have had to take tri-rail and they said it wasn't bad. Very low cost too. I have had to fly into FLL when I was planning on PBI, and at the last minute so they didn't even have a chance to have the ramp reroute our bags. So I had to go through the trouble of driving up 95 to get my bags after checking out of the hotel and on the way back to turn in our rental car and get the carnival shuttle to the ship. Also is a lesson in making sure you pack enough stuff to get you through an overnight somewhere if you don't get your bags right away.

I have actually only gotten stuck one time overnight at FLL but have had many more close calls. Nonrev travel is an adventure if nothing else. I have only bought tickets a precious few times and that was because I found web specials that were impossible to pass up. Picking a primary, a backup, a backup to the backup, and a backup to that is essential. It is a science for sure.

Saturday or Sunday after 1000, in PBI, FLL or MIA, forget it. Any airline, any destination. Better chance of hitting powerball than getting on a flight out of there on those days. I know a few who have had to take tri-rail and they said it wasn't bad. Very low cost too. I have had to fly into FLL when I was planning on PBI, and at the last minute so they didn't even have a chance to have the ramp reroute our bags. So I had to go through the trouble of driving up 95 to get my bags after checking out of the hotel and on the way back to turn in our rental car and get the carnival shuttle to the ship. Also is a lesson in making sure you pack enough stuff to get you through an overnight somewhere if you don't get your bags right away.

I have actually only gotten stuck one time overnight at FLL but have had many more close calls. Nonrev travel is an adventure if nothing else. I have only bought tickets a precious few times and that was because I found web specials that were impossible to pass up. Picking a primary, a backup, a backup to the backup, and a backup to that is essential. It is a science for sure.

I fly nonrev about every month, and have made it to all my destinations. I do leave days early. I have been doing this for 30 years. I was very fortunate to have had boatloads of paid vacation time every year, so it isn't anything new to me, with my recent retirement in November. I have already flown to Orlando, Miami and Los Angeles this year. In a couple weeks New Orleans, next month Portland/Seattle and Anchorage.

It's been an extraordinary benefit, that I am so grateful for. It has allowed me all my travel preferences. The world is small when you don't pay for air. :)

We are flying in the late morning of the day of our cruise (June 29th)....please tell me this won't be a problem!!?!?!?

There is no way to know if it is a problem or not until the day of your cruise. But if I were going to do that I would have the insurance for that cruise. Plus a passport

Edited by nitro2448

I'm now retired, but when working I was flying 100,000 miles/year. A few too many stories I could tell! Now we live in FL and drive to every port. Even Miami with an 11 hour drive. But we still come in the night before. Our last cruise departed from New Orleans (3 1/2 hours away) yet we still came in the night before. It's a good habit to get into for all your future cruise plannings.

The airlines have a responsibility to get you from point A to point B. But they don't have a responsibility to get you there on the flight that you would prefer or by a certain time. Don't be fooled into thinking that you will be OK because there's a nonstop flight 2 hours later. As far as availability is concerned, it doesn't exist.

Tapi, several years ago I learned that the point A to point B doesn't necessarily involve a plane! Once had to miss Minneapolis due to weather and had to land in Rochester late at night. Airport was then closed so we were bussed to Minneapolis. A fun experience that was by walking into a client meeting with no sleep.

I'm now retired, but when working I was flying 100,000 miles/year. A few too many stories I could tell! Now we live in FL and drive to every port. Even Miami with an 11 hour drive. But we still come in the night before. Our last cruise departed from New Orleans (3 1/2 hours away) yet we still came in the night before. It's a good habit to get into for all your future cruise plannings.

My husband is envious, counting down the days till he retires. I can only imagine how much easier time/days become when you don't have only a block of time off. Right now we live in N Kentucky but he is based our of ATL been tough getting flight home after flying a trip. Getting to anywhere in FL is really tough from here NR, so we buy tickets. I have no trouble getting to DFW though to visit family from here NR.

My husband is envious, counting down the days till he retires. I can only imagine how much easier time/days become when you don't have only a block of time off. Right now we live in N Kentucky but he is based our of ATL been tough getting flight home after flying a trip. Getting to anywhere in FL is really tough from here NR, so we buy tickets. I have no trouble getting to DFW though to visit family from here NR.

It's amazing how busy I am now, but it's all by choice. My favorite time is now -- Sunday night and I don't have to get up Monday morning. ;)

I would NEVER fly in the day of a cruise. NEVER. As a flight attendant, I have plenty of stories I could share of people missing or almost missing their cruise. Years ago I was working a flight to Houston. We had closed up the door 10 minutes early (standard procedure for most airlines) and were ready to push back. The captain called me and told me to open the door because we were going to let a family on. In 8 years of working for an airline, I can probably count on one hand how many times I've opened the door to let more passengers on. That just never happens. Anyways, this family was headed to Houston and had to rent a car to drive to Galveston that day to catch a cruise. The captain did not have to let them back on, but these people were so grateful that he did. They would have missed their trip if he didn't. That was before I had ever taken a cruise. I said right then if I ever took one, I would never leave the day of, and I never have. When I cruise solo, I leave the day before, two days when I'm with my mom. I missed my flight to MCO for my last cruise because I overslept. It wasn't even the airline's fault! :eek: I definitely wouldn't chance it.

Saturday or Sunday after 1000, in PBI, FLL or MIA, forget it. Any airline, any destination. Better chance of hitting powerball than getting on a flight out of there on those days.

This is the truth! I've worked many late moring/early afternoon flights from FLL on Saturdays and Sundays, and the flights are ALWAYS full. ALWAYS. Never an open seat. When I cruise and fly nonrev, I stay an extra day and take the first flight out the next morning. I would never attempt to nonrev on a cruise day.

I fly nonrev about every month, and have made it to all my destinations. I do leave days early. I have been doing this for 30 years. I was very fortunate to have had boatloads of paid vacation time every year, so it isn't anything new to me, with my recent retirement in November. I have already flown to Orlando, Miami and Los Angeles this year. In a couple weeks New Orleans, next month Portland/Seattle and Anchorage.

It's been an extraordinary benefit, that I am so grateful for. It has allowed me all my travel preferences. The world is small when you don't pay for air. :)

I wouldn't say I get to fly nonrev every month but I do travel more than most people I know. Excluding traveling for work that is. That of course is only because I work more than most others and don't want to spend too much time away even though I most surely have the flexibility to. I get a good deal of paid time off also and can almost make my own schedule if I really want to go somewhere for a few days and make up lost time before or after I travel. I am wary to go to the west coast as a nonrev because longer flights generally go out full and I don't want to either miss whatever I wanted to do there or not be able to get home. But yes, nonrev travel is both a great and addicting benefit, and it does make the entire world be within reach. Once you have it, it is hard to ever give up. Day trips to Chicago, Atlanta, Boston, even Florida are great little getaways if you plan right.

I would NEVER fly in the day of a cruise. NEVER. As a flight attendant, I have plenty of stories I could share of people missing or almost missing their cruise. Years ago I was working a flight to Houston. We had closed up the door 10 minutes early (standard procedure for most airlines) and were ready to push back. The captain called me and told me to open the door because we were going to let a family on. In 8 years of working for an airline, I can probably count on one hand how many times I've opened the door to let more passengers on. That just never happens. Anyways, this family was headed to Houston and had to rent a car to drive to Galveston that day to catch a cruise. The captain did not have to let them back on, but these people were so grateful that he did. They would have missed their trip if he didn't. That was before I had ever taken a cruise. I said right then if I ever took one, I would never leave the day of, and I never have. When I cruise solo, I leave the day before, two days when I'm with my mom. I missed my flight to MCO for my last cruise because I overslept. It wasn't even the airline's fault! :eek: I definitely wouldn't chance it.

This is the truth! I've worked many late moring/early afternoon flights from FLL on Saturdays and Sundays, and the flights are ALWAYS full. ALWAYS. Never an open seat. When I cruise and fly nonrev, I stay an extra day and take the first flight out the next morning. I would never attempt to nonrev on a cruise day.

Glad those people made their cruises but if I was a gate agent I would be kinda mad at the captain for demanding that I open the flight again to put them on. They could have potentially delayed the flight to the point that others onboard might miss connections and ground transportation reservations, etc. A lot of people don't consider all of that. But like you said, traveling day of cruise is not prudent and that family probably won't make the mistake of doing that again after their experience.

That's why I always take my time getting off the ship even though I am platinum and could debark first if I wanted to. Why hurry off the ship to an airport with nothing but oversold flights? I usually end up sitting in the airport for hours after I get there anyway, until I can get an evening flight out unless I get ridiculously lucky and get a midday flight which almost never happens. Really, a hotel is not bad insurance to have in case of delays and the like and especially in wintertime, gives you an excuse to spend another day in the warm south Florida weather anyway. lol.

My favorite answer to this question comes from an ATC (Air Traffic Controller). "You are one thunderstorm away from missing your cruise." Nobody knows the odds for that day. Nobody knows the weather, the state of the airplane, the airline's computer system, the taxi/shuttle tires, etc of that day. The answer you seek is indeterminate at this time because, nobody knows if you will run into problems or not. Because of this is why most CCer's fly in a day or two ahead of time.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYSSSSS fly in the day before. If I hadn't chose to fly in on Thursday night to FLL for my Saturday cruise I would have been screwed...why you ask? Because it was delayed then cancelled...luckily for me that got me there at noon on Friday and not noon on boarding day =)