New to NCl only been on CCL...

courtneytko

I just booked my honeymoon on the EPIC for October 2015 and this will be my first time on NCL. Perviously I have cruised on CCL and RCCL, my fiancee has never been on a cruise. I am wondering how NCL differs from CCL or RCCL.

On CCL you can bring on a 12 pack of pop on board, can you do this on NCL?

Also how is the food that is included in the price. The trip we booked is 11 days so Iam hoping I won't have to spend extra for restaurants on board and just stick to the ones that are complimentary.

I just booked my honeymoon on the EPIC for October 2015 and this will be my first time on NCL. Perviously I have cruised on CCL and RCCL, my fiancee has never been on a cruise. I am wondering how NCL differs from CCL or RCCL.

Also how is the food that is included in the price. The trip we booked is 11 days so Iam hoping I won't have to spend extra for restaurants on board and just stick to the ones that are complimentary.

We were 14 days on the Epic and loved the food. There was enough variety that we never ate the same thing twice.

Since it is your honeymoon if you like spas you should get the Spa Passes. Thermal mineral pool with jets, hot tub, scented steam room, sauna, heated tile loungers and an aft deck with loungers...

You can bring a case of sodas if you like. They only charge a fee for bringing wine on board.

Congratulations and Happy Honeymoon!

First, congratulations and hope you have a wonderful honeymoon. We`ve been on 3 cruises and have eaten in almost all the free restaurant, man, there are a lot of them. We have enjoyed the food no matter which venue and we are not foodies so to each his own you will get some experienced members saying the food is only marginal and just above average.

The nice thing about NCL is the friendliness of the crew and fellow pax. It is a much more relaxed atmosphere and while some will dress more formally you only need to wear resort casual in all restaurants. Some restys do request a higher level of formality but even that is just long pants and shirts with collars, (polo shirts). There are no formal nights but many dress up when they want and eat where they want which is basically how it is every night.

Bring as much soda, water as you want and you can bring wine too as long as you pay the corkage fee $15p 750 ml bottle.

Have a wonderful cruise. :D

Edited by B6ConMe

We were loyal Platinum cruisers on CCL...that was until 2012 when we discovered NCL and "Freestlye Cruising," after getting tired of what seemed like continuous cutbacks and degrading of the product from CCL. We also tried and RCCL in 2012, but really didn't like the experience. Since out first cruise on NCL, we were hooked and new we found the line for us. Everything about NCL simply blew us away. You will enjoy NCL, trust me!

We were loyal Platinum cruisers on CCL...that was until 2012 when we discovered NCL and "Freestlye Cruising," after getting tired of what seemed like continuous cutbacks and degrading of the product from CCL. We also tried and RCCL in 2012, but really didn't like the experience. Since out first cruise on NCL, we were hooked and new we found the line for us. Everything about NCL simply blew us away. You will enjoy NCL, trust me!

Is there a place for a hot breakfast...like the made to order omletes on the lido deck?

Is there a place for a hot breakfast...like the made to order omletes on the lido deck?

The MDR does breakfast. I think the buffet has an omelet station but I'm usually too impatient to wait for it. :) There is a breakfast menu at the 24-hour restaurant and I think they also do made-to-order omelets. LOTS of places for a hot breakfast!

Yes the buffet at the bow of the ship does made to order omelets. Personally, I did not care for the cabins on the Epic (mainly because of the small size and the glass walls and doors for the shower and toilet) and I thought the MDR's service was slow and the food poor. The one pay restaurant we visited (La Cucina) was fabulous. The shows were much better than the shows on Carnival. The buffet was better than Carnival as well (many more options). Pools are too small for the number of passengers.

The continuous cutbacks and degradation of the NCL product has been happening as well. Anyone who has been cruising with NCL for the last 10-20 years will notice. CCL is not alone in that aspect.

The continuous cutbacks and degradation of the NCL product has been happening as well. Anyone who has been cruising with NCL for the last 10-20 years will notice. CCL is not alone in that aspect.

That statement probably applies to most every line, with the possible exception of the 6 star lines.

The MDR does breakfast. I think the buffet has an omelet station but I'm usually too impatient to wait for it. :) There is a breakfast menu at the 24-hour restaurant and I think they also do made-to-order omelets. LOTS of places for a hot breakfast!

What about room service? Do they offer a hot breakfast? I'm guessing room service is 24/7?

I've never been on the Epic but I do love NCL. I enjoy the buffet and main dining room food that is included. I also love that you can eat whenever you want. Search the boards for Epic threads and ask questions. I think you will have a great time.

Agreed. Race to the bottom.

I don't consider it necessarily a race to the bottom, just attempting to stay competitive. NCL, Carnival, or anyone else could bring back every single thing that has been taken away over the years and charge customers an extra thousand dollars per cruise if they wanted. But they probably find that most customers care little about the extras that used to be and would rather pay fewer dollars. Maybe that's why Regent and Silversea don't have any 200,000 ton ships.