"is it safe?"

edpeeks

After reading many posts my straight question is can I make an 11:40AM flight (LAX) from San Pedro in October? That seems to be the latest flight back east to TN on that Saturday. We normally walk our luggage off right after the boat is cleared.. Taking a flight the next day will cost double the miles.

Thanks for the advice. 46 cruises but this will be my first out of LAX/San Pedro.

It takes 30 minutes with no traffic to get to LAX from San Pedro. Need to arrive at LAX 2 hours before your flight. So you'd need to be in a taxi no later than 9am. Even on a Saturday there is no guarantee of a clear freeway as the weekend is when lots of construction is being done.

Also CBP has been slow in San Pedro.

Be the very first off with luggage. Take your own taxi.

LAX is a horseshoe. There are shortcuts from T1 to T7 but if you share and someone needs T3 and you need T7 you will be SOL.

Add extra time if you are flying out of the middle terminals.

At times they do car checks. On occassion it has taken us 40 minutes to get to Terminal 3.

Ask on the Cruise Air board about alternate routing. They are very knowledgable over there.

Edited by SadieN

What airline? Have you considered other airports such as LGB, SNA, or BUR? Although LAX is the closest to San Pedro, others may get you home without an overnight stay.

A possible reason you aren't finding availability out of LAX in the afternoon is several thousand other cruise passengers have filled those seats. The same thing happens in FLL, MIA, and SJU.

Unfortunately, there's no guarantee. As others have said, there's many variables that can delay you, but there's always the possibility the travel gods will smile upon you. Fortunately there aren't any holidays in October that would increase travel (California really doesn't celebrate Columbus Day). But it's hard to predict if customs and immigrations will start on time (and I haven't found any relation to how many ships are in port that day).

Then there's our infamous traffic on the 405.

USAir. I guess you are alluding that the sooner I book, even in October, the better?!

Not necessarily. I was suggesting other airports in the area as a possible option. The former US Airways flies out of LAX, LGB, SNA, and BUR. AA flies from all but LGB. Since Dividend Miles is now part of Oneworld (no longer Star Alliance) check miles required not only US Airways flights, but also AA flights using a Oneworld award. I frankly don't know if this is a good option, mileage-wise.

Since you're using miles, the sooner the better for getting an award seat.

While it might be prudent to do so, you do not have to be at LAX two hours in advance for a domestic flight. According to the US Air website checkin is 45 minutes in advance at LAX. If you are not checking a bag, print out your boarding pass on the ship to save even more time. Obviously, traffic, security, customs (if coming from a foreign port) can slow you down.