Question re Chair Hogs ...

kristie64063

Last cruse I got up early and sat in a clam shell on the serenity deck for my wife. I stayed there until she came. Funny thing is I had two people come and tell me I was in their spot they had saved. Easy answer was no since I had been there since six in the morning and no one was on deck at that time.

That is funny.

In order that one if us is in whichever two chairs we've chosen, my wife will go to the buffet and grab lunch and bring it back, then I will go. The last thing I want to do is have both if us grab some lunch and come back ten minutes later and find our stuff on the ground. That would be a problem, so we avoid it! :)

Too bad that inconsiderate and oblivious people are causing both sides of this issue. Those that told you that you were in their spot thought they were solving the chair hog issue their way (and I bet it has worked for them).

Kevin C

:D

And we had people give us looks because we showed up about 30-45 min early for the shows each night because my DH wanted specific seats.

We got some flack like that for being in a hammock that we'd been using since 7 am when somebody else showed up at 11 am. She was surprised that the hammock was already taken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cant understand why people are so obsessed with CHOGS:confused:

First come first served! Get up earlier and grab the chair of your preference or wait until one is free to use.

That's fine if you are actually USING the chair. I walk to the gym in the morning and see many towels covering chairs, but NO ONE is around or even in the pool. That's a chair hog. Probably not even getting breakfast, just holding a chair for later, whenever that is,

Just wondering that you all thought. If there are chair hogs, and it's clear that noone is around and they haven't been around for sometime, yet every chair is full, my plan is to simply remove whatever towell is holding the spot. Put it in a safe place (if there is other personal stuff I probably wouldn't feel comfortable removing it) and take a seat.

If I'm in a seat, I'll use it; I'd only leave my stuff in to dip in the pool to cool off for a minute, then get back in the lounger.

Does everyone not do this? Is there an unspoken rule against it? I feel like it's rude to hold something you're not using, and have no problem moving said stuff...

What do you all think? And this is probably wrong, but if someone came up and I had their chair they'd held forever without using, I'd probably just pretend it was free when I came along, and ignore them...

I will always ask an employee to remove items that have been in a chair for a long time. 3 weeks ago on the Victory, my sister and I had an employee remove items from two chairs that had been sitting for over 30 minutes. We were in those chairs at least an hour before a lady came over looking for her stuff. We told her the items were removed by staff because they were left alone for too long. She didn't look happy, but oh well.

Whether you should or shouldn't have to is immaterial. Carnival's rule is 30 (or possibly 40) minutes after a chair has been left unattended (by a warm body) it is free for use by anyone. If you want to stay in the pool or hot tub for an hour straight, that's fine, just don't expect the chair you were sitting in to be available when you get out.

But then again, you know this as we've talked about following rules before on other threads.

Wish there was a "like button" on this quote.

I was on the Triumph in Sept of 2013. I watched and waited for 3 chairs for me and my friends (not by the pool mind you but on the upper deck close to the hot tubs) for over 30 minutes. No one ever showed up, I even asked the people beside the saved chairs, and they said they hadn't seen them for at least 40 minutes so I moved two towels and left them 1 chair. BAM, they showed up like a bad relative. Made a horrible scene so I finally moved. Within 15 minutes, they were back to their old ways and left them saved and was back by the pool sitting on the benches. I was so mad but I didn't do anything, didn't want to cause another scene.

I think what I will do on my next cruise 9/8/14 on the Triumph, is print several copies of the rules off the Carnival site and just hand them out to them when they start making the scene and put headphones on to not hear them! Yep, think this will work.

When i go to eat breakfast i always look for the towels on the chairs. Then when i am ready to go search for a chair around 10 i always go back to where i saw all them chairs. Let those towels still be there. I have my choice of a seat and that towel gets flung where it gets flung. I dare someone to come up talking stupid to me. Because i always give as good as i get. Its already happened twice and i am sure it will happen again. So all these people can try to explain away there reasons for doing what they do. I am not hearing it and i will let you know about it. It all boils down to if you are rude to other people by being a chair hog. I am gonna be rude to you. Its that simple!!!!

No you are not:) A good old British saying "All Mouth And No Trousers" is what comes out of CHOG threads, most CHOG haters would be quivering at the knees if they really removed other peoples towels and belongings!Why? because most CHOGS want a primo spot by the pool to tan their well shaped well looked after healthy muscular bodies while others are stuffing their face in the buffet most of the tme:D:D:D Do the Math;)

Yeah i am one of those that stuff my face at the Buffet. I wish one of those as you call them hard bodies come up talking stupid to me. Its arrogant people like you that end up getting stupid. Who know maybe we will meet up on a cruise and i take your chair that you left a towel on. Lets see if i will be shaking in my shoes.

It's not uncommon to look around the pool early in the morning and see many chairs with towels/shoes/books on them. We all know the chairs haven't been used at that point, but have been "reserved". Is that allowed? Clearly the 40 minute rule applies to a chair that has been occupied and now the occupant has left the chair, presumably to return within 40 minutes. Does the 40 minute rule apply to the "reserved" chairs?

We never sit around the pool, always in the Serenity area. Usually an attendant is onsite and if I want a chair that has been unoccupied for 20-30 minutes, I will ask the attendant to start the clock. They will do it, but reluctantly. After another 30 minutes or so I have to insist that he remove the personal effects.

Wish there was a "like button" on this quote.

I was on the Triumph in Sept of 2013. I watched and waited for 3 chairs for me and my friends (not by the pool mind you but on the upper deck close to the hot tubs) for over 30 minutes. No one ever showed up, I even asked the people beside the saved chairs, and they said they hadn't seen them for at least 40 minutes so I moved two towels and left them 1 chair. BAM, they showed up like a bad relative. Made a horrible scene so I finally moved. Within 15 minutes, they were back to their old ways and left them saved and was back by the pool sitting on the benches. I was so mad but I didn't do anything, didn't want to cause another scene.

I think what I will do on my next cruise 9/8/14 on the Triumph, is print several copies of the rules off the Carnival site and just hand them out to them when they start making the scene and put headphones on to not hear them! Yep, think this will work.

Just take a highlighter and highlight the rules that are int he Funtimes every day. Not that they will care, but the rules are there in black and white.

Berwyn is absolutely correct- Carnival does not allow the saving of chairs. Here is a novel idea- if you need a chair, and some are available that may be occupied by a towel, simply remove towel and sit on said chair. Nothing personal but if a person waits 30 minutes to see if a chair is occupied ,in my opinion that is wasted chair time!!:cool:

Yeah i am one of those that stuff my face at the Buffet. I wish one of those as you call them hard bodies come up talking stupid to me. Its arrogant people like you that end up getting stupid. Who know maybe we will meet up on a cruise and i take your chair that you left a towel on. Lets see if i will be shaking in my shoes.

Big Talk:confused: try reading all the posts:rolleyes:

I dont CHOG because I dont want loungers so I dont care if people chog how will you take my chair:confused:

"All Mouth And No Trousers" CHOG haters:D:D:D

Big Talk:confused: try reading all the posts:rolleyes:

I dont CHOG because I dont want loungers so I dont care if people chog how will you take my chair:confused:

"All Mouth And No Trousers" CHOG haters:D:D

Just as an FYI, it doesn't have to be a "lounger" to be Chogging. It can be a chair on deck, a seat in the buffet, or a chair in the theater. Saving a chair with a personal article for more than 30 minutes is "Chogging" no matter the type or location.

The only way to not Chog and keep a seat indefinitely is to bring your own chair from home. :D

Edited by Out to sea!

Berwyn is absolutely correct- Carnival does not allow the saving of chairs. Here is a novel idea- if you need a chair, and some are available that may be occupied by a towel, simply remove towel and sit on said chair. Nothing personal but if a person waits 30 minutes to see if a chair is occupied ,in my opinion that is wasted chair time!!:cool:

thats against the rules, rude and wrong

It's not uncommon to look around the pool early in the morning and see many chairs with towels/shoes/books on them. We all know the chairs haven't been used at that point, but have been "reserved". Is that allowed? Clearly the 40 minute rule applies to a chair that has been occupied and now the occupant has left the chair, presumably to return within 40 minutes. Does the 40 minute rule apply to the "reserved" chairs?

We never sit around the pool, always in the Serenity area. Usually an attendant is onsite and if I want a chair that has been unoccupied for 20-30 minutes, I will ask the attendant to start the clock. They will do it, but reluctantly. After another 30 minutes or so I have to insist that he remove the personal effects.

If no one is in a chair for 40 minutes, anyone is entitled to it regardless of the circumstance. So if someone puts a shoe at 7am and leaves, by 7:40am its not available if you want

Carnival DOES indeed allow you to save your chair, for up to 40 minutes, on deck (as stated in the Funtimes and usually scrolled on the big TV as well). Carnival does not allow you to save a chair in the theater.

I have read these threads over the years but have never had any personal experience with CHOGs or similar situations - Until my last cruise in March on the Triumph. My friend and I decided to go sit on the Lido deck and watch some of the goings on - Hairy Chest Contest and other activities. We found 2 loungers on the same row but separated by probably 5 or 6 loungers. Two of the loungers were being used and a couple kiddos talking to presumably their dad sitting in one of the loungers. No towel, no bag, no mag, no anything on the unused loungers. So, my friend and I drug one of the loungers to the end of the row where there was another lounger that did not have belongings on it so that we could enjoy the activities together. A short while later a lady came up and asked me if I got her lounger - I said no, I don't think so. She said that I did because her husband and kids saw me take it - What? I told her I did take a lounger but nothing was on it indicating that it was 'hers'. She gave me a scornful look and a few choice words and went over and sat with her husband and they and their kids talked smack about me until we left. Why in the world wouldn't her husband tell me it was his wife's lounger? I truly would have not taken it even though there was nothing on it to indicate it was being used. I mean he didn't say not a word to me as me and my friend drug that heavy thing down past him and his lounger to the end of the row. Yet when his wife got there he was all about how I 'stole' her lounger....But, to say nothing and then talk about me on and on and on really bothered me. They all taunted constantly saying stuff like 'ooooh, don't go to the bathroom, that lady will take your chair!', ...just stupid stuff like that. I wanted so badly to tell her and her ball-less wonder of a husband how he and her kids saw me take it and didn't say a word, but I was on vaca and I would never bring kids into an adult convo like she did. So, we just sat there and tried to ignore them. All the while having palpatations fretting over her thinking I took her chair and wanting so badly to tell her what really happened and to tell 'Dear Husband' to grow a dadgummed set. *deep breath* I feel better now, I have wanted to get this off my chest since March, lol. Happy Cruising All and beware of this horrible chair thief! :p

I have read these threads over the years but have never had any personal experience with CHOGs or similar situations - Until my last cruise in March on the Triumph. My friend and I decided to go sit on the Lido deck and watch some of the goings on - Hairy Chest Contest and other activities. We found 2 loungers on the same row but separated by probably 5 or 6 loungers. Two of the loungers were being used and a couple kiddos talking to presumably their dad sitting in one of the loungers. No towel, no bag, no mag, no anything on the unused loungers. So, my friend and I drug one of the loungers to the end of the row where there was another lounger that did not have belongings on it so that we could enjoy the activities together. A short while later a lady came up and asked me if I got her lounger - I said no, I don't think so. She said that I did because her husband and kids saw me take it - What? I told her I did take a lounger but nothing was on it indicating that it was 'hers'. She gave me a scornful look and a few choice words and went over and sat with her husband and they and their kids talked smack about me until we left. Why in the world wouldn't her husband tell me it was his wife's lounger? I truly would have not taken it even though there was nothing on it to indicate it was being used. I mean he didn't say not a word to me as me and my friend drug that heavy thing down past him and his lounger to the end of the row. Yet when his wife got there he was all about how I 'stole' her lounger....But, to say nothing and then talk about me on and on and on really bothered me. They all taunted constantly saying stuff like 'ooooh, don't go to the bathroom, that lady will take your chair!', ...just stupid stuff like that. I wanted so badly to tell her and her ball-less wonder of a husband how he and her kids saw me take it and didn't say a word, but I was on vaca and I would never bring kids into an adult convo like she did. So, we just sat there and tried to ignore them. All the while having palpatations fretting over her thinking I took her chair and wanting so badly to tell her what really happened and to tell 'Dear Husband' to grow a dadgummed set. *deep breath* I feel better now, I have wanted to get this off my chest since March, lol. Happy Cruising All and beware of this horrible chair thief! :p

Some people seem to leave their brains at home (if they have any).

You did the right thing and acted as an adult with character. Don't worry any more about it. You were the bigger person!!!!

So sorry you feel that way.

Of course the cruise line (and most cruisers also) will tell you that you are simply wrong, since it is their ship and they set the rules.

The real pity is that the Aussies I know are such gentlemen/women. I at least would realize that you are an exception, but what about cruisers who are getting to know an Aussie for the first time?

I couldn't care less about the chairs but I wanted to comment on this ^.

Identifying and judging someone purely because of where they come from, or live, is far worse than someone holding a chair with a shoe or a banana.

I'm going to go on my first cruise in October on the Carnival Pride and I was wondering... If you don't plan to lounge but just plan to swim can you leave your stuff with the towel station?

I never want to lay by the pool ... but I do like to go in for a dip so I leave my towel and cover up on a ledge close by .... and then I go as far away as possible so I can have my outside time in peace and quiet... usually up on the top deck.

That's fine if you are actually USING the chair. I walk to the gym in the morning and see many towels covering chairs, but NO ONE is around or even in the pool. That's a chair hog. Probably not even getting breakfast, just holding a chair for later, whenever that is,

I always thought those blue towels on the chairs were free gifts ,put out by Carnival !!?? Free to take !:D