What does one do: No stateroom assignment when one arrives at the pier?

rkacruiser

rkacruiser, we just got our cabin assignment for our coastal and yay, we got the cabin we wanted but no upgrade to the Penthouse. Oh well, I'm still very happy.

We're just under 2 weeks before then cruise, so you should be hearing soon, too.

rkacruiser, we just got our cabin assignment for our coastal and yay, we got the cabin we wanted but no upgrade to the Penthouse. Oh well, I'm still very happy.

We're just under 2 weeks before then cruise, so you should be hearing soon, too.

Glad you heard and are satisfied!

Just checked my reservation and still have no assignment.

Half of our cruise's have been guarantees.

For us it has always been good news / bad news (well mediocre news):

Good: easy to get cabin number at the dock and fast check- in.

Bad : NO Upgrade. :p ... Yup just got what we paid for.:D

I cannot imagine a cruise line giving a free upgrade at the pier to the Penthouse Suite' date=' when they could have given it to someone who had already paid a suite rate anyway. Still, if it truly happened, there's hope for me!:D[/quote']

Have to be careful here....upgrades aren't done at the pier (so please don't ask for one). Check-in staff simply pull up on your name on the computer and

it displays what room # you've been assigned. if you've been upgraded, great. But the pier staff had nothing to do with it. Room assignments are done by the ship's inventory dept. in Seattle, or on very rare occasions, by the ship itself if a room had to be taken out of inventory because of a problem with it.

Edited by Boatdrill

The way I read the subject line was what if you went to the port without a cabin assignment only to discover you're not on the manifest at all and are turned away. Say you went to a travel agent and booked a guarantee and paid by cash or check. The travel agent does not pay the cruise line. You show up at the port expecting to get your cabin assignment from the baggage porter only to discover you're not going to hoard that ship. Does that ever happen? When I worked fir a travel operator, mainly charter flights to Reno and Las Vegas, sometimes I'd phone the travel agent many times looking for payment. They phoned in a check number to guarantee payment but never sent in check. At the one week before departure mark I'd warn them if the check didn't show up on departure day the vacation would be cancelled. And I had to do that a few times so sure there were times travelers would show up at the airport and go to the hostess for their tickets and hotel assignment only to be told they were out of luck. Sometimes if seats were still available they could purchase them and figure out a hotel once they landed in town. That's how I translated this topic. What if the travel agent doesn't pay the cruise ship and you show up at the port expecting to get your cabin assignment only to be told you're not cruising.

Appygirl,

As the one who started this topic, what you interpreted is not what I meant.

I meant: I have a Boarding Pass printed out with no cabin number. I have luggage tags printed out with no cabin number. I would be on the manifest, but I do not know the cabin number until I check in at the pier.

I am not concerned whatsoever about arriving at the pier and then finding out that the travel agent had not forwarded my money to HAL. Knowing that I travel documents are ready to print--which they are--assures me that I will be on the manifest.

something similar happened to us on our last HAL cruise.

we were given a cabin number and had printed out our baggage tags etc.

when we got to the front of the line to be checked in we were told that the cabin we had been allocated was no longer ours!

after about 20 mins they finally found that we had been moved, same deck and level of cabin just further towards the bow.

no problems we thought, my only concern was that our bags had our original cabin number on them.

your luggage will be ok we were told it will be in your cabin when you get there.

WRONG! it took around 4 hours for our bags to turn up after many calls to the desk and having to explain everything every time.

when the bags finally arrived we were told that we had put the wrong cabin number on them!

other than that we had a great trip

Daz

something similar happened to us on our last HAL cruise.
We once had a last-day change of cabin to another deck. After a couple of days I realized that we weren't getting much "mail", so I went and found the steward for the original cabin. He had a pile saved in his closet, but never bothered to check where we were and forward the stuff. From then on I'd check every couple of days, and each time he'd have more that he hadn't forwarded. :(

Fear not. Your luggage will find its way to you wherever you end up on the ship.
Eventually. I heard of one case where a bag was mis-delivered to an "old" cabin after a last-minute change and it sat there for several days. The two occupants, who did not live together, each assumed it was the other's bag, and never said anything to each other or the steward! :eek:

I just received an upsell offer to a VA for $118. Staterooms available (2) are in a good location. However, going North from San Diego to Vancouver in early May: will the weather/temperature permit much use of a veranda? On the Volendam, I have done a South to North cruise to Vancouver in early May. The weather was cool enough that it really was not pleasant to sit on the Lower Promenade Deck for any length of time.

Now, if it was a no-cost upgrade, as I have told my travel agent, I would accept that.

I just received an upsell offer to a VA for $118. Staterooms available (2) are in a good location. However, going North from San Diego to Vancouver in early May: will the weather/temperature permit much use of a veranda? On the Volendam, I have done a South to North cruise to Vancouver in early May. The weather was cool enough that it really was not pleasant to sit on the Lower Promenade Deck for any length of time.

Now, if it was a no-cost upgrade, as I have told my travel agent, I would accept that.

It certainly can be iffy about using a balcony going up to Vancouver. If it were me I might wait and see if they give you a better offer. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.