Last Minute Park and Cruise Info?

TabithaK

Today we booked a last minute cruise on the Breakaway out of NYC in 3 weeks. I have been using the search function, but quite honestly my head is spinning. Last minute travel is exciting but doesn't give much time to sort through the options so I appreciate any help you can give me.

We might be driving from Ontario, Canada. I understand that there aren't any park and cruise options in Manhattan. Would it be best to get a "park and fly" option in New Jersey or one of other NYC airports and then take a taxi or airport bus into Manhattan?

Alternatively, if we can find decent flights, what area of Manhattan would be reasonably close to the pier, but in a safe area? Any areas we should definitely avoid?

Thanks so much for your help. We'll get our first glimpse of NYC this trip and then hopefully we'll be back another time to take in the sights.

Today we booked a last minute cruise on the Breakaway out of NYC in 3 weeks. I have been using the search function, but quite honestly my head is spinning. Last minute travel is exciting but doesn't give much time to sort through the options so I appreciate any help you can give me.

We might be driving from Ontario, Canada. I understand that there aren't any park and cruise options in Manhattan. Would it be best to get a "park and fly" option in New Jersey or one of other NYC airports and then take a taxi or airport bus into Manhattan?

Alternatively, if we can find decent flights, what area of Manhattan would be reasonably close to the pier, but in a safe area? Any areas we should definitely avoid?

Thanks so much for your help. We'll get our first glimpse of NYC this trip and then hopefully we'll be back another time to take in the sights.

You don't state what part of Ontario you're from, but we're from Ottawa and have cruised from NYC a few times. You're right the hotels in that area are very expensive. What we've done each time is drive down from Ottawa the same day, it takes us between 7 to 8 hours, depending on time of day and how long the lines are at the border. Total fuel cost for return trip is around $90 CDN, the toll costs are about $20 CDN and the parking at the pier is $35 per day. The parking is a bit expensive but it is so convenient! You park right beside your ship and walk just a few yards to get on...and then coming back the same thing...no need to wait for taxis or shuttle etc. You get in and drive home.

There is also lots to see and do in NYC itself but we always do it as another trip as the drive is so (relatively) short and the road are very well maintained.

Anyway have a great cruise wheter you decide to fly or drive:D

We're in the Niagara region. The driving distance isn't too bad. Just concerned about actually driving in Manhattan as we've never been in the area at all. Did you have to pre-book parking at the pier? Is there lots of parking availability? My worst nightmare would be getting there and trying to find alternate parking. :eek:

Are you looking to save money over parking in NYC or not having to drive in the city?

If you drive are you coming in the night before the cruise?

I am on the Breakaway this June and have worked through every option available.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

For out-of-town/state cruisers driving to NYC piers, parking directly on top of Pier 88 or 90 at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal is very convenient, a notch expensive - current rate is $40 per night, taxes & fees included & no surcharge for minivan, suv or pickup truck, etc. For BA's 7 nights to Bermuda, it's $280 - there's a number of nearby garages, "walking" distance of 10 to 15 minutes back/forth to the pier - for about $25 daily with online coupon/discount rate, subject to availability. If you drive in, I recommend planning to arrive no later than 11 AM to park & check-in, as they should be boarding by noon or 12:30 PM for 4 PM sailing, since all board is T-120 minutes.

Flying into LGA is the easiest airport, in Queens & there are a # of options - taxi/car service is about $50 USD but given the high airfares - not sure if you wanted to deal with the airport security flying on those CRJ700's popular on these short haul commuter runs, where most carry-ons are gate-checked due to those tiny overhead bins (only personal sized bag will fit). Try to avoid booking into EWR as taxi/car service will cost you about $75 one-way with tolls & tips, and with this weekend's closure of one of major route into Lower Manhattan, it's best to avoid for now - seasonsed traveler familiar with PATH commuter train alternate & weekend schedule changes would still need to factor additional travel time.

Another option is to drive to Albany, NY and park for free at the Yankee Trails bus depot, and taking their "Cruise Express" bus to the pier in the morning - it's part of the NCL bus transfer/transport option so I believe you are covered in case of a delay by the bus provider. It leave just south of Albany, NY at 7 AM from Rensselaer (near far from Amtrak, if I recall) and should arrive around 11 AM - your checked luggage would transfer to the ship directly. A number of CC's have all reported very positively on this option and at $90 p/p or $180 for 2 people round-trip, would ease your mind about driving into NYC - and much cheaper than flying & no dealing with taxi/car service.

Driving-wise, depending on your route approach, your best approach to urban driving is far from it, you come across I-80/I-95 North to George Washington Bridge into NYC, turn off at the 1st. exit in Manhattan to the West Side Hwy South for several miles and you are directly in front of the Pier/Terminal on 12th Avenue as your go onto local street - the ship visible from several miles away, with very little street traffic to deal with. Going back to Canada, it's a simple reversal to head out north and out of Manhattan, either via NJ to PA to upstate NY via Binghamton to Syracuse, etc. or via I-87 to Albany to Buffalo all on the (boring) N.Y. State Thruway. http://tours.yankeetrails.com/Tour/NY_Cruise_Express_NCL_Breakaway/DepartureDates

Inexpensive, no-frills hotels & motels are plentiful in the greater Albany area for overnighting so that you don't need to wakeup at 2 AM to cross into the US border & drive downstate to Albany if you want to consider the Yankee bus option. Priceline and/or hotwire 3 stars or better hotels for Manhattan will run about $150 to $200 USD all inclusive, overnight parking for hotel garages are generally about $40 to $50 (ouch !!)

I will let others comment on greater details about the pro's and con's with their insider's knowledge on transportation. We just came back on the BA 2 weeks ago and had a blast on the mega-ship with so much to do, loved it and also sailed on a last minute bargain. Been to Bermuda 3 times, twice on NCL and it's a great place to relax for 3 days on your floating waterfront hotel - pack your "Bermuda" shorts a la British style with long socks for gentlemen and you will fit/blend right in. Saw 2 sailings in May with excellent bargain prices and if we weren't going to sail to other destination later this year, we would just repack and sail again next month.

Enjoy your cruise & bon voyage !

Edited by mking8288

We're in the Niagara region. The driving distance isn't too bad. Just concerned about actually driving in Manhattan as we've never been in the area at all. Did you have to pre-book parking at the pier? Is there lots of parking availability? My worst nightmare would be getting there and trying to find alternate parking. :eek:

No, you don't have to pre-book the parking at the pier...there's tons of parking. They are quite prepared for all the cruise ships that dock there...it was very organized. When you drive in (it's clearly marked BTW) they ask you which cruise ship you're going on and then direct you to the right place. At the top of the ramp for your ship there is another fellow there to direct you again. We used our GPS and it was actually very easy to find.

If you've never been to New York and live so close I'd recommend taking a trip there for a long weekend, or longer if you can. There is so much to so do plus you can book a Broadway show (if you like that). I'd also recommend taking the Greyhound sightseeing hop/on hop/off then go back and visit the areas that interested you. I know I'm off subject here but I love NYC and think it's really worth seeing.

Enjoy your cruise!

Sandy

I would suggest driving to Albany and staying overnight. You can either take Yankee Trails Bus into NYC or take Amtrak into the city. There are several trains that would get you to the pier in plenty of time. My DD and I used Yankee Trails Bus two years ago and it was a great experience. They leave Albany about 7 AM and you are at the pier about 10 AM. They pick you up after the cruise and take you back to Albany. You can leave your car at their parking lot for free. The cost was $80 a person round trip. Great Deal. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Rensselaer. It was about one mile from the parking lot for the bus ride.

Thank you everyone for the detailed information. I had no idea about the Albany option. I am going to look into that. My husband has no fears about driving all the way into New York and parking at the pier. It sounds like we would be fine either way. I am going to print out the info from mking8288 so that I'll have it on hand for our next trip. Again, thank you all. You have made this much easier for me. :)

Edited by TabithaK

• 4 weeks later...

This is what I will be doing this Saturday.

Parking at Port Imperial/Weehawken Ferry terminal $13/outdoor parking $15 indoor per 24 hours. Right across the river from the cruise ships. Ferry rid 8 whole minutes across the river $9 adult kids under 5 free...other kids $6. EACH WAY. Then taking their free shuttle up to the pier. Look into it...its the least exensive option. This will cost my family of 2 adults 2 children ages 9 & 11 $160 RT with parking!!!! for a large SUV. No reservations required!

This is what I will be doing this Saturday.

Parking at Port Imperial/Weehawken Ferry terminal $13/outdoor parking $15 indoor per 24 hours. Right across the river from the cruise ships. Ferry rid 8 whole minutes across the river $9 adult kids under 5 free...other kids $6. EACH WAY. Then taking their free shuttle up to the pier. Look into it...its the least exensive option. This will cost my family of 2 adults 2 children ages 9 & 11 $160 RT with parking!!!! for a large SUV. No reservations required!

Just don't count on the "free shuttle up to the pier". Depending on the day of the week they have different shuttle routes and schedules...and even under the best of circumstances you'll be dropped off close to the pier but not actually at the pier. I'd wager that the majority of passengers going to the cruise terminal either walk (about a half mile) or take a taxi.

Just don't count on the "free shuttle up to the pier". Depending on the day of the week they have different shuttle routes and schedules...and even under the best of circumstances you'll be dropped off close to the pier but not actually at the pier. I'd wager that the majority of passengers going to the cruise terminal either walk (about a half mile) or take a taxi.

The busses do run on the weekends. There are several busses. You just need to get on the right bus. otherwise you end up going out of your way :)

Have you used these busses before?

I see the pink and light blue line goes straight up to the terminal.

The busses do run on the weekends. There are several busses. You just need to get on the right bus. otherwise you end up going out of your way :)

Have you used these busses before?

I see the pink and light blue line goes straight up to the terminal.

I believe the closest they can drop you off is on the uptown side of 12th Ave. across the road from the cruise terminal. You"ll have to cross six lanes of heavy traffic to get to the terminal (there are traffic lights and crosswalks).

I haven't ridden their buses.

Edited by njhorseman

This is what we have done in the past.

We live in Kitchener, Ontario. We drove to Newark, NJ the day before and stayed at the Wyndham Garden Hotel. You can leave your vehicle in a secured lot for free. If you sail out of cape liberty, they offer free shuttle. If you are out of Manhattan cruiseport, it's a $70cab ride each way. Still way cheaper than parking at the pier, and none of the traffic to deal with.

Did one cruise out of liberty and 4 out of Manhattan this way.

Enjoy your cruise.