Park & stay in Boston

bean24

Thanks Carol. The W offers parking for $49 a day where the Sheraton is free. I like the convenience of the W but its going to cost much more. I believe the Sheraton has a shuttle to transportation but not sure so i'll check it out. Is the Sheraton really far from the city?

I'm not keen on the Sheraton location in Revere because it is in what I consider a fringe area with nothing much around the hotel and it's on the wrong side of the city if you're coming from NY. Hotel shuttles seem to be OK for taking you to local T stations, but in general folks complain about delays in getting picked up when they return.

Please give me more details about how you envision your Boston stay. What time would you plan to arrive in the area on July 9? Do you plan to go in town that day? How early on July 10 do you plan to go in town?

Have you looked at the Starwood properties on Route 128 - Four Points in Needham, Westin Waltham, Aloft, and Element? If you are going in town by 9 am you can drive to either Alewife T Station or Riverside and take the Red Line or Green Line. That week should be a lower traffic week because folks are on vacation.

Should you consider staying at the W, another strategy could be to pack just an overnight bag, leave your car for two days at Alewife T Station for $16, and take the T in town to the W. It's a bit more traveling, but it does get you staying in a downtown hotel.

Instead of the W, have you considered the Sheraton Boston or the Westin Copley Square? Those are really well located for tourists (and a short walk to Fenway), and they definitely have cheaper parking than $49/day available.

Thanks for the heads up about the location of the Sheraton. We plan on leaving Staten Island around 10 am so depending on traffic I figure we should be in Boston by 3. Would like to explore the city and have a nice seafood dinner (suggestions appreciated:)). Would like to spend all day Thursday sightseeing bought a groupon for the HOHO trolley and then a game at Fenway. The W is looking better and the suggestion of parking offsite sounds good…just concerned about leaving luggage in car we have a Ford Flex so its visible. The Sheraton Boston and Westin Copley have no availability. It would be a no brainer to book the W but I was trying to conserve points (son is getting married in Nov. would like to give him some nights towards honeymoon). I really7 appreciate all the help! Thanks:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi 138east....a couple of questions if you have a moment.

Our family is leaving on the Dawn on Aug 8th....we'd like to stay close by for a night before....any suggestions on where to stay and if we can leave our car there for the week?

Also, when we get back on the 15th, we'd like to stay in Boston for a couple of nights to visit the city....any suggestions for that time also?

Thanks so much!!!

Deb

What's your hotel budget? How many people? Where are you driving in from? Would you use Hotwire? Exactly how many nights post cruise?

At a high level your strategy might be to get a park/sleep with 14 days parking for the precruise night. Hotels offering this option will be in more fringe areas like Dorchester, Revere, Chelsea, or Saugus. For post cruise your best bet might be Hotwire going directly from the pier to your hotel leaving your car still parked at the first hotel. Don't retrieve the car until you're ready to leave.

Thanks Carol, there will be 5 of us traveling, 2 adults and 3 children.

We are coming from Westchester County, New York.

Don't have a budget, but like to stay under $200 for at least the pre-cruise hotel. Post cruise we are staying 2 nights Friday and Saturday.

Yes, we would use hotwire, although never have.

Thanks!!

If you live in Westchester, why aren't you coming up the morning of the cruise? You can save a hotel night and park at the pier for $112.

Hotels for 5 are a real problem. I found the Residence Inn on Congress Street for $229 + tax for August 15-17. This is a new 4* hotel that is located close to the pier, but within walking distance to the T and the main Boston Waterfront area near the Children's Museum. This is available on Marriott.com.

You could just leave your car parked at the pier and pay the additional parking charge, which would be higher than the $16/day cruise rate.

Ok, we thought about this a little more and decided we will drive up in the morning and park at the pier.

We are still looking to stay the Friday and Saturday night when we get back to visit in Boston. We don't need to stay in the city though....we can even stay on the outskirts.

Any advice?

I would be looking at Marriott properties for 5 people. If you want to stay outside of town, the nicest hotels will be along route 128. There are some deals if you prepay the room.

1). Burlington Marriott - prepaid - $115 tax included + $25 for a rollaway - 2 doubles. For $123 plus the rollaway you can get breakfast for four plus internet included. Located near Burlington Mall on route 128 with easy access to Boston via I93. $144 and $154 cancellable plus the rollaway charge.

2) Newton Marriott - $189 cancellable tax included. $199 with breakfast. Near route 128 with easy access to the Mass Pike.

Whatever you decide to do, be sure to call the hotel on Friday morning to confirm that you are coming and to ask them to block out a nice room for you and set up the rollaway bed. If you stay in Boston all day, you don't want to arrive in the evening to find that your special requirements cannot be met

Edited by 138east

I would be looking at Marriott properties for 5 people. If you want to stay outside of town, the nicest hotels will be along route 128. There are some deals if you prepay the room.

1). Burlington Marriott - prepaid - $115 tax included + $25 for a rollaway - 2 doubles. For $123 plus the rollaway you can get breakfast for four plus internet included. Located near Burlington Mall on route 128 with easy access to Boston via I93. $144 and $154 cancellable plus the rollaway charge.

2) Newton Marriott - $189 cancellable tax included. $199 with breakfast. Near route 128 with easy access to the Mass Pike.

Whatever you decide to do, be sure to call the hotel on Friday morning to confirm that you are coming and to ask them to block out a nice room for you and set up the rollaway bed. If you stay in Boston all day, you don't want to arrive in the evening to find that your special requirements cannot be met

Thank you so much for this information!!! I think we are looking at the one in Burlington.

Do you know if we can take Mass transit or a shuttle from the hotel, I couldn't find anything on their website.

Thank you so much for this information!!! I think we are looking at the one in Burlington.

Do you know if we can take Mass transit or a shuttle from the hotel, I couldn't find anything on their website.

The hotel will not have a shuttle and easy access to mass transit without a car is difficult.

You arrive back on a Friday. I was thinking you would put your luggage in the car and pay an additional day's parking while you did stuff in Boston. The Burlington Marriott is about 16 miles from downtown and you will hit traffic if you leave Boston during the Friday rush hour.

On Saturday you can drive into town and park or drive to Alewife T station, pay to park, and take the T in town for the day. This will cost about $17. You can also drive to the Anderson Station and take the train for $16.50, but the trains run only every two hours and you would pay separately for the train and the subway. IMO not the best choice.

Unfortunately, when you stay outside of Boston to avoid expensive hotels and parking, you don't necessarily get public transit services at your doorstep.